[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4807: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3904)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4809: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3904)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4810: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3904)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4811: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3904)
DAVID-Laserscanner Forum • View topic - Riding a horse
Dear DAVID Community,

As you are probably aware, the entire DAVID company, team and product range has been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum is now read-only. Relevant content has been migrated to HP and merged into HP's Support Forums on November 1, 2016.

To start new discussions for 3D Scanning, please register and post your new topic at the HP Support Forums

Riding a horse

Anything that doesn't fit the other topics should go here.

Riding a horse

Postby hal » Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:34 pm

Salve a tutti.

Here, the first test-scan with my new Picotronic green focusable laser. The laser has been linked to a kitchen timer, for the "brushing".
It works quite well, It's quite slow and uniform in its movement. At 50 cm far from the object (a plaster copy of a Renaissance horse) works very good.

Each side was scanned 2 times: first from top, second from bottom. Each scanning takes about 2/3 minutes.

Many thanks to MagWeb for his "Calibcalc". I made the calibration of my scene with his amazing tool. :wink: TschuB

The ride continues...
Attachments
Horse_Setup.jpg
Horse_Steps.jpg
hal

lo

Postby humanticnc » Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:13 pm

HI Hal HÁJ
Beautiful technique , the horse very detailed all of my acknowledgements
tibor
humanticnc

Postby MagWeb » Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:17 pm

Hi Mattia,

I'm curious for your final results

Just a tip:

I noticed some difficulties aligning the meshes of my knight's horse:
If you rotate a long object around Y you get rather small meshes scanning the horse's front and backside. So: for the sideviews (which you presented) are quite big, it is rather hard to align automatically.
As an alignment strategie, it is much more easy to rotate a long object as a horse around its longer axis: Means sideview, birdview, sideview, frogview. So the overlapping areas are much bigger. Once you got aligned 360° around the longer axis add the frontal- and backview. (If you scan a vertical object like your soldier, you do this intuitivly).

I'm going to build a new version of calibcalc, making it possible to calculate the coordinates for distorted patterns like the one I posted

for I'm getting much better results using patterns, filling camview as good as possible.

nice day,
Gunter
MagWeb

calibcalc

Postby humanticnc » Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:57 pm

Attachments
1-elsö.jpg
humanticnc

calibcalc

Postby humanticnc » Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:40 pm

Attachments
2-elsö.jpg
humanticnc

Postby MagWeb » Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:17 pm

Hi all,

Regarding window-setup 2 notes:

-I never noticed better scan results using a window setup, when a closed corner was possible. DAVID was built to use with a (normal closed) corner. The longer the line on the detection planes, the better the calculation base, the better should be your results. So use the closed corner whenever possible. Use the window whenever it has advantages (to get a detail of an object or you simply can not put it into a corner.....).

-If you get better results with a windowsetup than you use to have: The reason might be that you spread your calibpoints all over the picture. Distorting the calibpointspattern to a full camfilling size and adopting the calibpoints.dat ( also in vertical) - in my experience: THE key to get the best calibration possible!

Nice evening
Gunter
MagWeb

wi

Postby humanticnc » Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:00 pm

the open window leads to an improvement which is very big for me but may be that the accuracy was better right angle , straightness
humanticnc

hi

Postby hal » Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:19 pm

Attachments
work in progress.jpg
hal

Postby velleca55 » Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:54 pm

velleca55

new details

Postby hal » Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:18 pm

Hello scanners,
Here three images from my latest scanas: Now I have a new CCD monochrome camera. In relation to exposure, I can work at 30 fps at 1024x768 pixel. Below the images about the horse test. We can see, on the horse's head, a little imperfection of sculpture: a little, real, dot, 1 mm of diameter. We can see, also, the smooth surface in the "pure" scan. New camera, new details... :P
Bye, Mattia
Attachments
New details.jpg
hal

Postby PZsolt » Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:48 am

Hi Hal,

2 words only: classical beauty!
Very nice to me! Congratulation to you!

And 1 question:
I have got some experiences on the kitchen timer! (not the digital... ) :D
My kitchen timer (it was in a crab form plastic house...
:x ) is stepping 3 times in every second. The laser line movement - if I use 60 cm object distance - only 0,3 mm near the line width. But I found that in this case David scan hard ridges and valleys parallel to the laser line. The 3 parallel line step - in one second - form a ridge. I not understand why? (Look at the firsth attached image!)
The camera works on 960*720 and 15 fps.

The question to you:
On your images I see similar object distance, but your scans are homogenous, beautiful bodies. How you can make it? How many times steps your kitchen timer in a second?

Best wishes!
Zsolt
Attachments
ridges.jpg
I put an image here about the ridges! The general distance of these is 0,9 mm.
haziko.jpg
I put an other image for fun. I changed the object distance to 30 cm only. It takes half stepping sizes: 0,15 mm, and i tried it on a small (10 cm high) object. I like it. Use everybody kitchen timers! Hahaha
Iron: Intel Core2 6400 + ASUS P5B-E / 2 GB RAM / Asus NVidia 6600 + dual 19" TFT
WebCam: Logitech QuickCam Pro 9000
Laser: Picotronic LC635-5-3-F
PZsolt

Postby Bongobat » Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:56 pm

Very nice Hal.

I have discovered the smoothest of all timers :D no clicks at all!
Attachments
relojsol_ecuatorial.jpg
sundial timer
DealExtreme red line laser, Microsoft Lifecam HD-5000
Bongobat

Postby hal » Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:27 pm

Hi,
This isn't the horse, but a cow: a plastic model (length 15 cm) scanned at 1024x768 at 23 fps. The green focusable laser line was mounted on a timer. This image is the pure scans, no interpolation, no smoothing.

@ PZolt: I have your same problem. If the laser is far from object, I obtain a "sparkle" surface. With new CCD camera I can reduce this. You can reduce this problem putting the laser nearest.

Bye
Attachments
cow.jpg
hal

comparison

Postby hal » Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:13 pm

Hello CowBoys,

Finally my cow-work is at the end. Here a scanning of miniature of a cow ( http://www.schleich-s.de/cms_schleich/s ... =2&okat=86 ). With new DLS v2 now is possible to fuse our meshes with a value over 600. In the image below (sorry but the limited resolution of the images in this forum can allow you to see clean all the details) a comparison with three different situation: with a Poisson fusion at 1000 is possible to preserve all the details (fur wrinkle, nek fold, text relief on the stomach).

Obviously the file size changes: around 35 Mb for Poisson 500, around 120 Mb for Poisson 1000.

Soon the retopology and texturing, ready for Wiki gallery.
Attachments
Cow_comparison_LR.jpg
Cow comparison. From start to end, for this work I've spended around 1 hour.
hal

Re: Riding a horse

Postby Khalid Khattak » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:36 pm

I really like the cow :)
PC: Dell Inspiron i3, 2.27GHz,4GB RAM,64 bit windows 7
CAMERA:
David CCD Mono USB
LASER:
David 5mW Green line laser
PROJECTOR:
3D LED Mini Projector 250lumens, Native 1024x600
[b]http://free3dscans.blogspot.com/