[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4807: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3904)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4809: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3904)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4810: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3904)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4811: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3904)
DAVID-Laserscanner Forum • View topic - Scanning Humans
Dear DAVID Community,

As you are probably aware, the entire DAVID company, team and product range has been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum is now read-only. Relevant content has been migrated to HP and merged into HP's Support Forums on November 1, 2016.

To start new discussions for 3D Scanning, please register and post your new topic at the HP Support Forums

Scanning Humans

Questions, problems, comments and tips regarding the 3d scanning process.

Scanning Humans

Postby WeirdScience » Thu Jun 21, 2007 7:42 pm

WeirdScience

My first human scan

Postby MagWeb » Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:14 am

Hello Scanners,

today I´ve got satisfying results scanning a total human body.

I used a “window-setup” (see topic “Method to scan large fixed objects or flat surfaces?”).
The detection window was lying on the floor of my room and the cam fixed at the ceiling. The laser was driven by a simple grillmotor-barndoor-construction ( see topic “building a motorized scanner” jbeale`s post and attachment below).
Calibration was done using the way I discribed in toppic “Calibration using a single plane?”(SECOND idea!).
The human model was lying on the floor (horizontal in camview to quicken the scanning prozess).

I scanned with a logitech quickcam pro 9000 at a resolution 1600x1200 doing 5 fps to check out what´s possible (shure, a lower resolution would make a faster lasermovement possible) .

NOTICE: THE SCANS WERE DONE WITH CLOSED EYES! ONLY THE GRABBING OF THE TEXTURE DONE WITH OPEN EYES!

Problems of scanning vivid bodies:
1.You have to be quick, for its hard for the model to hold the the possition. Be shure that your setup works.
2.The cam has to be quick as possible. The higher the framerate – the better the results.
3.Breathing: The modell may be able to hold the possition, but not be able to stop breathing. You will get wavy scans in stomach-area. Chose a model´s position that makes breathing-movements unvisible.
4.Hair: Hairy skin seems to be no problem as long as the skin beneath is visible. But covering hair distorts the laser´s beam to much.
5.A 360° multiple scan in this vertical setup is impossible but it´s very comfortable.
6.Maybe others

See the results:

Gunter
MagWeb

full body scan - wow!

Postby jbeale » Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:27 am

Hi Gunter,

That is a really impressive result, congratulations! I need to study how you did the calibration and reference angle.

I am curious, did you do manual smoothing of the 3D data at all? The initial scan image you showed looked somewhat coarse, but the final 3D textured image looks very good. I have a good camera, bright laser on smooth motorized scanner, and flat reference plane, but my 3D scan results still have a bumpy surface.

regards,
John (jbeale)
jbeale

Postby MagWeb » Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:21 am

Hi,

Sorry, I forgot to attach the setup-drawing.

Hi John,

Yes, I smoothed the meshes (1x Avarage) and interpolated once. (A smoothed (and zoomed) scan shown below). But the actually reason I did smoothing, were the waves caused by the breathing in stomach-area.

I looked at your scans and your bumpy surface problem. What you could check (for David needs the right balance):
- Maybe your laser is TOO bright in camview? Starting scanning I made the mistake to set the contrast too high and got similary results. A clear coloured laserline is enough.
- Maybe your laser is TOO thin. The lasers thickness should be chosen in relation to cam´s resolution. If you scan in VGA-quality you have 480 lines. If your laser-line is thinner than 1 of the cam`s lines, David will get two( or more) 3D-data for one cam-picture-point even if your laser is passing the object only once. So he mixes them (30% of the previous data 70% of the new imput).
- Maybe your laser passes to often from different positions. If I´m not shure, that the detectionplanes are in a very accurate precission, I prefer to pass the object only once and only from one laserposition in one scan.
If nescessary a second scan from other position and so on.. Finally joined in ShapeFusion.

hope this will help

Gunter
Attachments
HumanSetup.jpg
Human scan smoothed.jpg
MagWeb

Postby Sven » Sun Sep 02, 2007 8:54 am

Sven
DAVID Developer

Advantages of the horizontal

Postby MagWeb » Sun Sep 02, 2007 2:38 pm

MagWeb

Postby MagWeb » Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:33 pm

What´s

"Simon Sven Cabinet 2008" ?

Good luck!
Gunter
MagWeb

Postby MagWeb » Fri Jun 13, 2008 2:42 pm

Hmm,

maybe some wine?
MagWeb

Postby MagWeb » Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:28 pm

We know him:

But is this Sven?

If yes : Is it Champagne?
MagWeb

Postby Sven » Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:33 pm

No, that's not me. I have stayed in Braunschweig and worked on DAVID 2.0 8)

By the way, what do you mean with "Simon Sven Cabinet 2008"?
Sven
DAVID Developer

Postby MagWeb » Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:05 pm

:oops: Sorry....
(also my wife and daughter thought so)

It was just a hint for people, familiar with websearch.

Gunter
MagWeb

Postby dennis » Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:51 pm

Ho Guys,

as you can see i am one of the newbies ;-)

Regarding to craigs question if it is possible to scan humans my question is, if it is possible zo export the points that David collects while scanning to a cad software?

I mean, would the cad software be able to calculate e.g. the lentgh of the way from one hip to the other? Or isn't David able zu export all the collected data, so that results of the cad software wouldn't fit 1:1 to the real measurements of the scanned person?

Sorry for this terrible way of writing english, i hope you are able to understand what i try to say ;-)

thanks

dennis
dennis

Postby MagWeb » Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:40 pm

Hello Dennis, welcome,

language problems = no problems, as long as we are able to get you. Don´t hesitate to ask or contribute, even if you did not drink English with your mother's milk. (I didn't)

DAVID is able to capture the real dimensions of every object 1:1( allmost perfect). You only have to set the scale-value in the calibration step according to your printout (for a human body, this printout has to be rather big!).
After you have saved a scanned mesh third-party 3D-programms (able to import *.obj,*stl or *.ply) which have such a function can calculate the distance of points on the surface of the mesh very precise.

Vivid objects tend to move/breath - so there might be some errors caused by this movements ( so it`s important to have a cam with a high framerate to shorten the scanning process)

Gunter
MagWeb

Postby dennis » Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:19 pm

Hi,

thanks for answering. What camera would be working on this subject an how long does David need to scan an object of this size?

Are there cams that support more than 30 fps? i know about the industrial cams, but they are al lot too expensive from my point of view. perhaps anybody knows a good solution, but i'm sure anyone her will be able to give an alternative!?

in the and a more general question, how long do i have to work on david until i am able to realize such a project!?

thanks again.

best regards

dennis
dennis

Postby MagWeb » Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:55 pm

MagWeb

Next

Return to 3D Laser Scanning