Challenge of OCTOBER

Questions, problems, comments and tips regarding the 3d scanning process.

Re: Challenge of October

Postby WalterMo » Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:14 pm

Hi,
This hedgehogs made of leaves glued on a thin board should be my share to the challenge of October.

Walter
Attachments
Igel2 ohneTextur.jpg
Hedgehogs without texture
Igel2 mit Textur.jpg
And with texture
WalterMo

Re: Challenge of October

Postby WalterMo » Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:10 pm

And now as a Flash. Poisson fusion 210 reduced to 16%. In Shapefusion the two scans of the left and the right side were aligned manually very close to each other without any touch. A touch or more worse an interpenetration would cause an obliteration of that part.

The edges look like as glued with a hot glue gun. :wink:

Edit: The Flash was updated using the alignment-technique suggested by santo some posts below. Now the „glue“ is much thinner. :)

Last edited by WalterMo on Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WalterMo

Challenge of OCTOBER

Postby hal » Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:39 am

Hello,

here my little contribute to this Challenge for the month October '09.
Two days ago, I was going to my job place, in Milan. To go there, I must cross a park, and walking near a tree, my eyes stopped on this leaf (now I must to understand what kind of tree is it... sorry I'm not a great botanic). Sure, this is a leaf as many other, but something in its shape and color (soon I will post a 3D Mesh2Flash with the texture) capture my attention, Simply I've pick up and put it into my jacket's pocket.
When I was arrived at my job place, I've moved a box near the door and found a very little exoskeleton of a scorpion (around 3 cm). It is a common kind of non-poisonous scorpion. I don't know how many time the "corpse" was there, behind all the cartons, but the only thing left is the external skeleton, thin, semi-trasparent but quite hard and strong.

Tomorrow will be the day 23 October and start the "Scorpion" period, if we look at the Zodiac.
So why not to mix these two symbols for celebrate the October month?

The little scorpion haven't the last part of its tail, so I've done a little joke: I've connected the stalk of the leaf with tail of the insect :P
... Something like a new race of "Scorpion foliaceus". Image

Good challenge to all,
Mattia
Attachments
MatM_October 09 Contest.jpg
October Challenge - Scorpion + Leaf.
PC: DELL M90, Intel T7200, 4 Gb Ram, nVidia Quadro 3500FX.
SO: Win 7 64Bit.
CAMs: USB CCD Color (1024x768, 30 fps) & Canon EOS 1000D.
LENS: 12 mm & VariFocal 3,5-8 mm.
PROJECTOR: ACER K11 & DELL M110.
LASERS: 5mW and 16 mW.
hal

Re: Challenge of OCTOBER

Postby santo » Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:59 am

In reply to WalterMo

You can see my how i proced for this, in "A difficult scan"

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1430

Friendly.
David Laserscaner version 2.4.5 avec licence, Centrino dual core 2 GHz, 4 GOct mémoire, non focusable laser rouge, moteur pas à pas + réduction de 1 / 470.
  Pierre
santo

Postby MagWeb » Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:48 pm

Hi,

never thought of scorpions and hedgehogs in october - but you´re right ... today the last beams of the sun hit me like their weapons.

Excellent scans and ideas comming up!

Walter described, how he aligned front and backside - How did you manage that problem , Hal?

Think there are more leaves around the world.....more wanted. Come on, join...

Gunter
MagWeb

Postby santo » Fri Oct 23, 2009 1:58 pm

Hello,

You can see here a file of fusion with texture.
David Laserscaner version 2.4.5 avec licence, Centrino dual core 2 GHz, 4 GOct mémoire, non focusable laser rouge, moteur pas à pas + réduction de 1 / 470.
  Pierre
santo

Postby hal » Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:04 pm

Hello santo,

Great scan!
But seems that there are two errors:

1. Your Mesh2Flash syntax isn't correct.
You wrote:
Code: Select all
[flash=640,480]http://www.david-laserscanner.com/freeware/Mesh2Flash/Mesh2Flash.swf?file=http://www.david-laserscanner.com/forum/download/file.php#id=2430 texFile http://www.david-laserscanner.com/forum/download/file.php = & id = 2431 #[/flash]

But the right syntax is:
Code: Select all
[flash=640,480]http://www.david-laserscanner.com/freeware/Mesh2Flash/Mesh2Flash.swf?file=http://www.david-laserscanner.com/forum/download/file.php#id=2430&texFile=http://www.david-laserscanner.com/forum/download/file.php#id=2431[/flash]

2. Seems that something is wrong in your .OBJ file. It can't read correctly the texture. Please, try to open it on your pc, with David and make sure to see the texture. After save the leaf from David. Try to upload the new. OBJ and new .PNG files, replacing your already uploaded files.

However good scan and thanks for sharing it,
Best,
Mattia
hal

Postby santo » Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:32 pm

Hello Hal,

Thank you for your explain, but there is a problem, i test now after have a new file.
The files are all right on my PC, but no in the forum, i don't understand.
Can be to transform texture png into bmp?
cordialy
EDIT by Sven: "fixed" OBJ file.
EDIT2 by Sven: undo "fix". Instead, I have fixed Mesh2Flash :-)
Attachments
FEUILLE-C.obj
objet
(868.57 KiB) Downloaded 1367 times
FEUILLE-C.png
texture
  Pierre
santo

Postby WalterMo » Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:01 pm

Hello Pierre,
Thanks for your suggestion to better align both sides of the hedgehogs like you had done it here:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1430&p=8983#p8983

I have already updated the Flash and now it looks much better. :)

But it wasn't possible to reduce the distance between the single scans nearly to zero. Then it happend that parts of some leaves from the backside were „looking“ through the frontside. Strange, only regarding the texture.
And the board has of course also a certain thickness. :wink:

Walter
WalterMo

Postby Sven » Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:41 pm

Hello Pierre,

I'm not sure why Mesh2Flash could not show your OBJ file. It was made by Meshlab. I loaded and saved it with DAVID (--> feuille-c_neu.obj) and added that to your post, now it works. I will investigate that...

Sven
Sven
Administrator

Postby Bongobat » Sat Oct 24, 2009 6:21 am

Hi,

Here is my entry for October.

Because I did this on a computer without a David License I had to do everything without saving the high resolution mesh file. This is a raw scan with no smoothing or interpolation and no texture. I manually hand scanned this with my LED slide projector because I did not have my controller system hooked up to this computer either. Cam used of course was my trusty Phillips SPC900NC at 640 X 480. I think you know how to view these correctly, right? Hint: You will need special glasses.

Have fun,
Greg
Attachments
october.jpg
Watch out for the leaves
DealExtreme red line laser, Microsoft Lifecam HD-5000
Bongobat

Postby WalterMo » Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:48 am

Hi Greg,
Nice to realize the 3-D effect. Specially when the green filter is in front of the right eye and the red on the left. Then the leaves are coming out of the screen.
What software had you used?
And this as a Flash. Would be fantastic!

Walter

P.S.: Thanks for the hint of the light blue background color code.
WalterMo

Postby Bongobat » Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:34 am

Hi Walter,

I simply took some screen grabs at different views in the David window and put them together with this free anaglyph maker: http://www.stereoeye.jp/software/index_e.html

I think making a navigatable Anaglyph 3D viewer is possible. Im not sure how mesh2flash works but you would need 2 virtual cam (rendering engines) slightly apart with one tinted blue and the other tinted red and then blended before frame render. Is this possible in realtime without opengl or directx hardware acceleration?

Here is sort of how it might look:

EDIT: Using the freeversion of David I had to export a low resolution (320X240) of the leaf and made a 3D movie from that. I think phpbb will not let you autoplay so you need to right click the above SWF and select play and loop to see an anaglyph turntable movie of the leaf

Greg

Edit: Walter are you using red/green glasses? But these were made for red/cyan glasses Red over left eye and Cyan over right.

I think Agent Smith was here 8)
DealExtreme red line laser, Microsoft Lifecam HD-5000
Bongobat

Postby santo » Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:29 am

Thank you Sven

I have try two way one with David the other with Meshlab, but without result. I am going to see your new command line.

have a good day
  Pierre
santo

Postby Khalid Khattak » Sat Oct 24, 2009 4:08 pm

Mattia.. The Scorpion leaf is an excellent example of modern art.. The idea is great and the details are superb... Your work always amazed me and i am really impressed..

Thanks for sharing the great scan.. :)
PC: Dell Inspiron i3, 2.27GHz,4GB RAM,64 bit windows 7
CAMERA:
David CCD Mono USB
LASER:
David 5mW Green line laser
PROJECTOR:
3D LED Mini Projector 250lumens, Native 1024x600
[b]http://free3dscans.blogspot.com/
Khalid Khattak

PreviousNext

Return to 3D Laser Scanning