[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4807: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3904)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4809: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3904)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4810: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3904)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4811: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3904)
DAVID-Laserscanner Forum • View topic - Mesh2Flash!
Dear DAVID Community,

As you are probably aware, the entire DAVID company, team and product range has been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum is now read-only. Relevant content has been migrated to HP and merged into HP's Support Forums on November 1, 2016.

To start new discussions for 3D Scanning, please register and post your new topic at the HP Support Forums

Mesh2Flash!

Anything that doesn't fit the other topics should go here.

Mesh2Flash!

Postby Sven » Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:37 pm

Hello everybody!

Simon and I have been busy :D finding a way to show 3D scans in everyone's browser. The result: DAVID Mesh2Flash. This little Flash program is able to show OBJ files (and DAE too) with or without texture, and lets the viewer rotate and zoom by mouse.
You just include Mesh2Flash in a website, Wiki page, or forum post, and give it the URL of the mesh file as parameter.

(click and hold left mouse button to rotate view)

As you see in the examples, the mesh density must be quite low, since Flash does not support 3D hardware rendering. But a nice texture can compensate a lot... :D
In the latest beta version, available , DAVID has a Simplify option on the Shapefusion page, which reduces the mesh to about 30% (can be applied repeatedly). EDIT: Of course it tries to preserve borders and edges and mainly reduces the number of triangles in large flat areas. The resulting mesh is not always perfect (beta status), but fine for Mesh2Flash. Meshes with a fused texture cannot be reduced very well at this time.

More info about Mesh2Flash and how to use it can be found .

Your tests and comments are most welcome! :D Hope to see more 3D meshes and fewer screenshots in the forum 8)

Sven
Sven
DAVID Developer

This is a good news!

Postby hal » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:30 pm

Hi :D

You guys are unbeatable 8)
I'm downloading the latest beta just now... I hope to try soon as possible this new great feature!
And many thanks for the precious Wiki guide. Absolutely necessary.
Thanks a lot, your work is amazing, as usually :shock:

A big supporter of yours,
Mattia

p.s.: Hey! How have you scanned the B/W male head, visible in the Wiki page? With David Structured Light?

p.s.2: in this thread you wrote that "Simplify" tool reduce the mesh quality to 30%, in the Wiki that is 10%... I've missed something or there is a typing error? I've done a test nad from initial 125.000 faces, with only one "Simplify" interaction, I obtain 38.376 faces, that is around 30%. But isn't too much 30% at time? probabli 10% or 15% for eny interaction is enough... otherwise we decimate too much our mesh (and we must re-load if we don't like the decimtation, because there isn't a "redo" feature).

p.s.3: if I scroll the web page and my mouse is over the flash content or the last click was on the flash content, the mouse central wheel have the same function as the z/Z zoom control. If the keyboard key z is already used as zoom control, is possible to delete the wheel function of increase/dercrease the zoom? Is'nt so fun to move up/down on the web page and see our 3D flash model become so little or so big :-)

p.s.4: ... and what is the "Delaunay-Optimization", in the right-click menu? If pressed do nothing...
hal

My first Mesh2Flash

Postby hal » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:30 pm

Hi again,

Here my first attempt with this great feature.
From the "David in Action (figures)" thread, here the Simplify and Flashed Cortana model (5k triangles).

Some questions:

:!: Edit: some changes happened after the Sven's implementation of new parameters :!:

- is possible to have a non 4:3 Flash window? so we can adjust our field of wiev in relation to our objects;
- how we can pan and move the object in the scene?
- Edit: DONE :!: ;
- Edit: DONE :!:
- Edit: DONE :!: .

Thanks and bye,
Mattia
Attachments
MatM_Halo3_Cortana_Mesh2Flash.obj
The simplified mesh of Cortana model.
(155.18 KiB) Downloaded 2088 times
hal

Re: Mesh2Flash!

Postby joecnc2006 » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:32 pm

When you scroll the mouse the page scrolls at the same time the object zooms when mouse is over window, gets difficult if you zoom in to close.
Joe

David-Laserscanner Professional Edition, Logitech Pro 9000 Webcam, LC532-5-3-F(16x65)

www.joescnc.com
joecnc2006

Postby Sven » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:39 pm

Good news, I found a trick to use a Mesh2Flash in a forum post to show an OBJ file which is attached to that post. Basically you use the download link to that attachment as the file parameter. See .
EDIT: Mattia, wow, you are very fast... already discovered it. Delicious scan by the way! :wink:

@Mattia
That head belongs to Dennis, a TV reporter who gave us a visit. It were some usual DAVID scans fused with Poisson Fusion.

Simplify reduces to around 31%. 10% was my mistake. I think 31% is a good number, you can repeat it and get about 30%, 10%, 3%, 1% etc. from the original mesh size. This is beta - it may be configurable in the future.

Yes I have realized the mouse wheel zoom/scroll problem. I'm not sure yet what to do about it.

Delaunay makes the mesh nicer. :D It is automatically applied at the end of each "Simplify". See here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delaunay_triangulation The Delaunay Optimization basically "flips" some triangle pairs, thus converting two "longish" triangles to two "more equilateral" triangles.

Sven
Sven
DAVID Developer

Re: My first Mesh2Flash

Postby Sven » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:47 pm

Sven
DAVID Developer

Postby hal » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:02 pm

Thanks for quick reply :D

Other questions:

:!: Edit: some changes happened after the Sven's implementation of new parameters :!:

- there is a way to upload our low-res 3D files without share they with all the forum's visitors? As you know, if we load, into a message, an attachment, this is downlodable from all. I'm thinking about a "lock" feature or an "hide" command to apply to our "non-downlodable" attachments. What do you think? ... from the start of writing of this messages at now, the Cortana model was downloaded 15 times... this is not so usefull because the model is very low resoluted and the main purpose of Flash viewer is to view it, not to download the model... ;
- about my last question about pan/move the object inside the window, I see that a pan "hand" appear if I play with right menu zoom commands, but don't work in any other conditions. Do you think that a pan tool can be added?

Thanks a lot! expecially for your patience with my many questions... :oops:
Mattia

p.s.: ... about the proportions of the Flash viewport, it's a pity... :cry:
hal

Postby Sven » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:09 pm

Sven
DAVID Developer

Re:

Postby Sven » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:14 pm

Sven
DAVID Developer

Simplify your life!

Postby hal » Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:22 am

Hi again,

I've done some tests and comparison about the new "Simplify" tool, inside right-button menu of ShapeFusion.
In the first image you can see that David's 3D window can manage big files as the Stanford scan of Michelangelo's David (http://www-graphics.stanford.edu/dmich-archive/).
I know that isn't a scan from David software, but this is only a test of the new feature and... is time to show some Davids into this David software... or not?! :wink:

First to start, I've decimated the original model to 2.000.000 of triangles, just to start from a good resolution that all the davidians can achieve with David Laser Scanner.
I think that a 2 mln poly mesh can be considered a medium/high density scan that everyone can create with a Poisson fusion of our scans.
In the image you can see how "Simplify" works, if pressed two times:

MatM_StanfordDavid_Simplify3x.jpg
The Stanford David model used to show an high poly mesh decimated with David Laser Scanner.

With 2 interaction of "Simplify" command, I've obtained a 177.145 faces mesh. I've done the same simplification with MeshLab Quadratic Edge Collapse Decimation and with ZBrush Decimation Master plug-in.
The results are different:

MatM_StanfordDavid_Simplification Comparison.jpg
Three decimations, with different software.

As we can see, the main problem of David ShapeFusion Simplify tool is the topology of the mesh: seems too much confused and not optimized.
The others decimations looks like similar, and have nearly same number of faces (177.144 and 177.120) and similar amount of Mb (they are three .obj files around 6.5 Mb).
The raw ShapeFusion data are probably related with the simplification method: if we press 2 times the "Simply" command, as first action it decimate the model from its original density, after it decimated again the already decimated mesh: we decimate every time the last decimation. Is only my opinion, but probably this fact can generate the strange result.
The other two software have an other approach: they decimate from the original density directly to a user-defined value of triangles, or directly to a user-defined percentage. (Hey Simon, can be useful to do the same customization into ShapeFusion? Can we set our preferred amount of faces, instead of fixed percentage?).

An other critical point is the elapsed time for calculation: is similar for David and ZBrush Decimation Master (just a little more than 1 min. for David, just little less than 1 min. for ZBrush), but for MeshLab the elapsed time is high: near 10 minutes ( :shock: ). So ShapeFusion Simplify tool isn't so bad... :wink:

So... as first version of Simplify feature, I'm satisfied. But it needs more work for a perfect result: I hope that the great people behind David Laser Scanner can create a perfect decimation tool, and have a result similar as MeshLab and Decimation Master of ZBrush.

Good work to all and thanks for this new great tool,
Bye,
Mattia
hal

Postby Simon » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:13 am

Simon
DAVID Developer

Postby MagWeb » Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:27 am

MagWeb

Postby Sven » Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:18 pm

Hi
I have decreased the default object size so that the object should approximately fit in the window. Also I have added some parameters for customization: focalLength, backgroundColor, lightColor, ambientColor, specular. See for details.
Sven
Sven
DAVID Developer

Postby Sven » Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:22 pm

Hint:
Please don't use the "rotate" function too often in the forum, especially on detailed meshes. It means that the CPU is busy re-rendering all the time. This makes the PC slow especially when there are several meshes shown on the same page, like in this thread.
Gunter, I have allowed myself to switch off rotation of your great warrior scan...
Sven
DAVID Developer

Postby Sven » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:13 pm

Sven
DAVID Developer

Next

Return to General Discussion