New user....some of my scans

Questions, problems, comments and tips regarding the 3d scanning process.

Re: New user....some of my scans

Postby JRdezigns » Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:05 pm

Ahh, didn't think of that. Thanks for the tip, I guess I'll have to mark where the object is then so it goes back in the right spot..

-James-
JRdezigns

Postby JRdezigns » Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:38 pm

Been a little while since my last post but being back in school and having a Chrysler interior design studio has taken up a bunch of my time. I decided to try something large because along with the iron man model I plan on scanning in a bunch of parts for a Honda CR-X. With the thought that I will rebuild using NURBS surfaces and create some aftermarket parts. We'll see how long this takes with limited free time. It will happen, it just depends when. I also made a new rig using my existing equipment but its a bit more sturdy. The scan isn't perfect the calibration corner was rigged up on cardboard taped to a wall and wasn't perfect. but this was just a test with one scan so I didn't get all of the bumper.

This is a Poly model of a crx I made over a year ago.
poly3d.jpg

and the scan after I mirrored it and imported it into Alias Studio.
scanned.jpg

and the model with alias cross section lines over the model
crosssection.jpg

-James-
JRdezigns

Postby JRdezigns » Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:06 pm

Got the model all scanned in and started to rebuild it in alias. Not much progress on that end, school stuff takes priority right now.

mesh.jpg

nurbs1.jpg

-James-
JRdezigns

Postby hal » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:34 am

Hi JRdezigns,

Really cool stuff! Your scan is awesome.
Compliments and good work (for a good and "quick" retopology workflow, based on polymesh modeling, I suggest ZBrush ReTopology tool).
A question: what is the frame your rate, in the realtime viewport of Alias, with the I.M. scanned model loaded? Thanks.

All the best to you, master of 3D scannign with David.

Mattia
hal

Postby JRdezigns » Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:11 pm

I was looking at Zbrush's re-topology to rebuild it, but for this project I need actual NURBS surfaces to export so I can run it through a CAM program to mill it out on the schools cnc's. That's why I'm using Alias Autostudio. I honestly don't know what the frame rate is with the model loaded, I don't even know how to figure that out.. But I have no problem rotating or moving the model around. It is 1,319,487 polys though according to Cinema 4D. I used Cinema to clean up some points and surfaces not attached to the model.

-James-
JRdezigns

Postby getget » Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:25 am

Hi, do you still have the sku of your laser ?
getget

Postby JRdezigns » Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:35 pm

Unfortunately I do not. There is a sticker on it with the numbers 2005928. Hope that helps.

-James-
JRdezigns

Postby hal » Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:42 pm

Hello JRdezigns,

How are you? I hope you are fine and that your Iron Man project is still up...
I'm on a "Iron Man" work, too. I'm scanning a big scale model of the IM hero (12 inch) and I want to redraw it with NURBS.
Do you know Rhinoceros (http://www.rhino3d.com) software? If yes, I can ask you some questions about it?
If you don't use Rhino and can't help me, this same question is dedicated to all the readers of this message. :wink:

Bye and Thanks in advance,
Mattia
hal

Postby Vrogy » Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:40 am

Nice scans! I'm looking to scan some Starcraft armor myself, rebuilding it with Cinema4D's NURBS and eventually CNC and vacuum forming. Working on upgrading our trial software/crappy laser/generic webcam setup at the moment. :)

Good to see there are others out there with the same idea.
Vrogy

Postby JRdezigns » Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:27 am

Mattia _ I have heard of rhino but I have never used it. So i'm not sure if I could be of any help with it..

Vrogy- sweet stuff, I always love seeing these sorts of projects.
The iron man project is going slow since I am back in class and working on a public transportation system for trans studio this quarter so time is limited again... Among all the other things I want to do. hopefully I'll get some stuff done this weekend/

-James-
JRdezigns

Previous

Return to 3D Laser Scanning