Alain's Scan

Questions, problems, comments and tips regarding the 3d scanning process.

Alain's Scan

Postby PoNyCaR » Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:10 pm

Hello,

I present you my first real result with our brand new setup. CnC machined custom pannel with scale 100MM.

We scanned a human head form a Fiberglass model ( polished and paint ). I will post picture later of it because I dont have it with me.

All my scan was done only with 1 interpolate and 0 smooth to get best result with fusion poisson.

If you want to comment my scan, and have any idea to improve my result feel free to do it!

I only have a red laser. (im planning to buy a green adjustable one to get better result, I have one green but it doesnt work well, after like 1-2min It heat to much and im loosing intensity)

So here is the result!
Attachments
PHOTO1.jpg
PHOTO4.jpg
PHOTO6.jpg
Last edited by PoNyCaR on Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PoNyCaR

Re: Alain's Scan

Postby PoNyCaR » Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:15 pm

Oh and I have a logitech Pro 9000
Motor driven rotation.
Scanned with low light
Attachments
tete3.jpeg
tete3_02.JPG
tete3_03.JPG
PoNyCaR

Postby hal » Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:23 pm

Hey, great result, compliments :shock:
Your scans are very well done 8)

Can you convert they as .jpg image file format and replace the .pdf files?
If you can edit your previously attachment with .jpg images, all can see better and easily your great work.
... and the images can be uploaded into the Forum's Gallery.

Keep rocking and best regards,
Mattia
hal

Postby PoNyCaR » Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:50 pm

Thank you very much Hal for your compliments

Do you think I could really have better results with a green laser adjustable?
(I got 2.1px with this red one, because I can reach 1.8px sometimes with settings)

Now its time to scan without background, because I will have to scan bigger pieces like 2-3 meters.
Do I need a laser more than 5mw for that sizes or 5 its still fine.
PoNyCaR

Postby MagWeb » Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:53 pm

Hi,

compliments from me, too.

In the XL size you´re planning to scan, the laser´s linewidth gets less important.
The cams "viewinglines" spread as a pyramid, while the laser stays almost at the same width. So using the same laser and resolution you´ll get a less wide line in the image the bigger an object is.
All my scans in the almost 2m area and more where done using 5mW lasers. But you´ll need almost darkness ambient. I think 2m is a reasonable limit for red 5mW lasers. For green is detected by a doubled amount of sensors on the cam´s chip, it is better seen by the cam and so you can use green lasers also above 2m. I also think that in this size the ability to focus the beam isn´t that important and this distance is a quite normal one for fixed focused lasers.

More laserlight is aIlways better. I only had a short chance to compare a 16mW red laser to a 5mw green one. Maybe it's only an impression, but I would have expected more power comming from a 16mW laser. So my feeling would prefer the green 5mw over the red 16mW.

Maybe the shop could offer a green 16mW with fixed focus for big range scanning?

Gunter
MagWeb

Postby WalterMo » Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:33 pm

Hello,

Compliments for your scans, Alain. Very nice.

Regarding line lasers using for bigger (>1.5m) distances I agree with Gunter. Also some green unfocusable line lasers with more than 5mW should be added to the DAVID shop.
This shouldn't be a problem at all because we can find them already at picotronic, the „owner“ of the DAVID shop:

http://www.picotronic.de/laser/index.ph ... eight=2000

Edit: Picotronic isn't the owner of the DAVID shop. It is DAVID Vision Systems. But picotronic is akin to DAVID Vision Systems.
Last edited by WalterMo on Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
WalterMo

Postby Bongobat » Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:28 pm

Nice work :!:

Please add to the wiki gallery :wink:
DealExtreme red line laser, Microsoft Lifecam HD-5000
Bongobat

Postby PoNyCaR » Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:45 pm

Thank you everyone.

I will add this to the gallery soon.

I just have a little question about laser.
If I buy a green 16mw adjustable (or non adjustable) for bigger piece than 2m. Can I also scan small object with that same laser or its too powerfull.
And do I need to wear glasses to avoid damage to my eye?
PoNyCaR

Postby hal » Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:15 pm

Hi PoNyCaR,

Yes you can use a powerfull laser for small object, but only if your camera allow you to decrease drastically the exposure value.
With my CCD camera, with very small object and at small distance object/camera, I have some noise and many sparkle effect.
I solve this problem moving the laser far from the scene, so the laser line became less powerfull. But you can do this only if you have a very slow stepper motor...

However, you can handle the 16 mW laser without glasses only if you are very carefull and if you don't work near mirrors and glasses (reflections).
You must use glasses if you work for long time with the laser. If you look a very powerfull laser light pointed on a surface, for many minutes/hours, you can damage your eyes and have headache and nausea.

Bye,
Mattia
hal

Return to 3D Laser Scanning