Laser Comparison

Which camera works? Where can you buy an adequate laser? And more...

Laser Comparison

Postby Norbert » Wed May 27, 2009 12:33 pm

Hi there...
I spend the last two weeks with comparing the lasers I already got with the red and the green focusable from the DAVID-shop.
I finally purchased the green focusable laser and maybe you are interested in my testing results...

First of all: The red focusable laser from the shop and the red focusable from dealextreme gave the same results so I stopped testing this one very early and continued with the green one.

And here's a comparison between a scan with the focusable red laser from dealextreme and one made with the green focusable from the shop:
comp_red_green.jpg

Btw. my Obelix is about 135mm tall...
Last edited by Norbert on Wed May 27, 2009 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Norbert

Re: Laser Comparison

Postby Norbert » Wed May 27, 2009 1:21 pm

After that I tried to focus the green laser as well as I could to get even better results but that didn't work. I could get a linewidth of about 1-2px with some extreme camera setting but that didn't help.
So I did a test with my old modified green laserpointer which I didn't used for a while because of the very thick line it produces. The result was amazing: I got the same good scanning result!

Vergleich Laserpointer-picotronic.jpg

So the linewidth doesn't seem to be as important as I thought. The big difference was switching from the red to the green laser.
Last edited by Norbert on Wed May 27, 2009 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Norbert

Postby Khalid Khattak » Wed May 27, 2009 2:16 pm

Agreed :)
Its due to u get double the details as compared to Red laser.
PC: Dell Inspiron i3, 2.27GHz,4GB RAM,64 bit windows 7
CAMERA:
David CCD Mono USB
LASER:
David 5mW Green line laser
PROJECTOR:
3D LED Mini Projector 250lumens, Native 1024x600
[b]http://free3dscans.blogspot.com/
Khalid Khattak

Postby Norbert » Wed May 27, 2009 4:19 pm

Yes, though this is not new to us I was really impressed that I could get the same detailed scan with my laserpointer.
Next I tried to scan a smaller object to see if the results remain the same. And here's the difference between a focusable and a non-focusable laser. I couldn't get a good result with my laserpointer but with the focusable one from picotronic.
This is the object I scanned:
Mein Tiger.jpg

And this is my scanning-result (made with the focusable green laser):
Tiger Screenshot.jpg

Btw. this is the result from my Obelix-scans:
Obelix_finished.jpg
Norbert

Postby Khalid Khattak » Wed May 27, 2009 4:35 pm

Norbert
This is very very informative topic to all of us... Thanks for sharing your great work with all of us... I think your camera also play a great Role in getting such a high details!!!.. Are you using Logitech 9000??
Last edited by Khalid Khattak on Wed May 27, 2009 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CAMERA:
David CCD Mono USB
LASER:
PROJECTOR:
Khalid Khattak

Postby Norbert » Wed May 27, 2009 4:37 pm

I also made a comparison of the laserlines I could get with the lasers I used:
Laserlinien.jpg

The linewidth of my focusable lasers is about 0.2mm, the lasers from dealextreme gave different results (but all of them are good, the thinner one is ca 0.12mm!) and my "old horrible" green laserpointer has a linewidth of ca. 0.9mm.

So throw away your red lasers and grab' a green one, no matter if focusable or not... :wink:

Thanks again for Mattia and Walter for helping me here. :D
Norbert

Postby Khalid Khattak » Wed May 27, 2009 4:42 pm

This is the best thread..Keep it expanding...I have a Green Laser Pointer (10mW)... Can I convert it into focusable line?.. I am planning to remove the focusable Mechanism out of red laser and install it on my Green Laser..

I love You Robert for such a beautiful work:)
CAMERA:
David CCD Mono USB
LASER:
PROJECTOR:
Khalid Khattak

Postby Norbert » Wed May 27, 2009 4:54 pm

oops, forgot...

Yes, all scans were made with the Logitech Pro 9000 with 1600x1200px @ 5fps ( I tried to get the best possible result) but that wasn't even necessary. I reduced every single scan of my Obelix twice in Meshlab so DAVID could handle all scans together. So maybe I could have scanned in 800x600px to get a similar result. This scan was made with the red laser still.
I think I will scan with 960x720px in the future. 15fps sounds more friendly than 5fps...

And... the green and the red lasers have different optics so it's not that easy. Tried this already...
But: the red dealextreme lasers and my green laserpointer have the same thread (M9 x 0.5mm) so I could easily change the lenses between them and use the line generator lens from the red laser... and I'm sure you can make a focusable green laser from a laserpointer.
I'm still playing around with them...
Norbert

Postby WalterMo » Wed May 27, 2009 7:03 pm

Thanks Norbert for your fundamental work.
It's interesting and important to have a direct comparison of scan results of different kind of lasers. And your scans are really perfect. It's nice to have a member on this forum who not only likes to show scans but also spends a lot of time (and money) in essential investigations.

By the way: How do you move the lasers? By hand, DC motor, stepper motor or kitchen timer?

Thanks,

Walter
WalterMo

Postby Norbert » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:28 pm

This is really very kind of you all. Thanks again.
The laser is rotated by a DC motor with a worm gear. It moves the laser up and down several times. Just improvised atm but it works... :wink:
Norbert

Postby superrune » Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:58 pm

Interesting comparison. I can't see these brand names (picotronic, dealextreme) in the David shop, were all of them purchased there? I am starting to regret now that I ordered the starter kit and its red laser...

Judging by your comparison, the 'dealextreme focusable B' seems to have then thinnest line. Wouldn't that be the best laser of them all?
www.superrune.com
superrune

Return to Laser and Camera Hardware