My attempt - Orangutan

Questions, problems, comments and tips regarding the 3d scanning process.

My attempt - Orangutan

Postby agep » Sat May 09, 2009 12:35 am

Hi
My name is Stian, and I am a 3D modeller and animator from Norway. I just got my starter kit in the mail yesterday, and it was better than christmas day:) A big thank you to the David Laserscanner team! You are awesome! So here is my first real try. Its a scan of an small orangutan statue I have, which for some reason my girlfriend wont let me have in the livingroom :p Hopefully I'll find some time the next couple of days to paractise how to scan the details better

Best regards
Stian
http://www.agep.biz

orangutan.jpg
Another Generation ®
Entertainment Project

www.agep.biz
agep

Postby hal » Sat May 09, 2009 6:40 pm

Hi and Welcome Stian,
I don't know why you have this orangutan in your living room... but as your first scan, is great. 8)
Compliments for this nice result and for your works, as visible in the website: you do cool stuff!

This forum needs people like you: professionist of CG and 3D artist: I think that a tool as David software can be the right choise for purposes like yours (I'm thinking: scanning -> redrawing -> animation/rendering).
And I hope that you can be the first to compleate the "3D artist" workflow with David. Time ago, we met, in this forum, a great CG artist as Justin Harrison (http://www.jharrisonart.com/) , but its scan-project is still in "pause" mode from long time.

If you, with your professionalism and "magic touch" can scan a object and demostrate that this can be a good base to start for a 3D project,(like a short animation) will be great!

Compliments and greetings from Italy,
Mattia
Last edited by hal on Sun May 10, 2009 9:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
hal

Re: My attempt - Orangutan

Postby agep » Sun May 10, 2009 9:20 pm

Thank you for the nice compliment Mattia:)
I revisited the Orangutan, did a new scan, this time with textures. I've also attached an image of my setup. btw Mattia, as you might notice, I stole your idea about using an kitchen timer;) Simple, yet brilliant way to control the laser. Thank you!

render.jpg

setup.jpg
Another Generation ®
Entertainment Project

www.agep.biz
agep

Postby hal » Sun May 10, 2009 9:40 pm

Great result! :D
... and what genial use of the David box :wink:

Cheers,
Mattia
hal

Postby gamepat » Thu May 14, 2009 9:37 pm

Haha nice, another user of kitchen clocks :D
Using one from too from woolworth and I have to admit it's very nice for testing. I even did already planeless scans with it 8) but I'ts quite annoying to always manually reset it on the one hand, and on the other it gives me quite noisy results, because the steps seem to be too big for having millimeter details.
I'm a professional 3D-Artist too, working in the games industry. I'm trying a bit around with david in order to scan real-life objects and humans but I'm not quite so far yet :?

What would be interesting for me is how thin your laser line is. It looks quite good on the picture. Can you maybe post a screenshot of david during the scan ? and what laser do you have ?
gamepat

Postby agep » Sun May 17, 2009 9:18 pm

gamepat wrote:Can you maybe post a screenshot of david during the scan ?
Sorry, I forgot to take a screenshot. Next time
gamepat wrote:and what laser do you have ?
I'm using the laser which comes with the kit

Attached is new scan I did

First of a photo
photo.jpg

And here is a render of the scanned model
render.jpg
Another Generation ®
Entertainment Project

www.agep.biz
agep

Return to 3D Laser Scanning