[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4807: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3904)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4809: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3904)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4810: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3904)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4811: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3904)
DAVID-Laserscanner Forum • View topic - Some advice for building an SLS rig
Dear DAVID Community,

In 2016, DAVID and this forum have been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum has been read-only since then, and will be switched off by then end of 2019.

To everyone who has contributed here, we thank you for all your work and for the constructive, helpful and friendly atmosphere you have created!
Please continue to discuss on the HP Support Forums.

Some advice for building an SLS rig

Problems, solutions and discussion about scanning with a video projector and stripe patterns.

Some advice for building an SLS rig

Postby dabela » Sun Oct 04, 2015 4:52 pm

So I'm trying to venture in the world of 3D scanning and looking at all the options available which are reasonably priced for normal people, and SLS looks to be the king.
Some questions before I start investing my money on this though:

1) I have lying around an Optoma HD20 projector which is full HD and can focus at any distance up to at least 5m. I've used this for gaming before upgrading to another one and picture quality is good. Does the projector have any affect on the scan quality? As in as a start should it be enough as long as it can be focused? Planning to go LED later to reduce lamp damage risk, and possibly use it for other stuff, but trying to lessen the initial costs.

2) For camera, this I need to buy. Is the David CMOS camera worth the investment or does any other 720p/1080p camera do the same job? Was thinking on investing in a fixed lens/mirrorless/old slr setup so I have the focus, zoom capabitlity. Thinking it would make life easier and also be useful for other projects if need be.

As I see I only need investment on the camera and buying the David 4 software. Tripod and the other rig setups I can manage from stuff I have running around.
Will be using this for a variety of projects from small objects to larger objects.

I tried a quick scanning setup using a Logitech 640x480 webcam I had lying around and the Optoma projector and I'm impressed with the results considering I didn't even calibrate it 100%.

Photo of setup
2015-10-01.png

Video of result

One quick question on this well:

3) What aspect ratio should the projector be setup as? 4:3, 16:9 or 16:10? Used it with HDMI so was restricted to the 16:9 and it didn't fill the calibration pattern. Not sure if it's needed to be filled up.
dabela

Re: Some advice for building an SLS rig

Postby Curiousjeff » Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:19 pm

Your projector is better the recommended projector. I would definitely start with it. You might want to add a macro close up lens in front to bring it very close to the calibration panel.

Regarding the camera, it really depends on your budget and purpose.

1) You can go with a modified webcam (look around on the forum)
2)A Canon DSLR that has liveview (1056x704 or less, depends on model)
3)A full HD dslr or bridge with "clean hdmi" out and 1080p (progressive is important) + an hdmi capture card ( maybe work in 4k also with GH4 ?) (I have tested Blackmagic intensity pro 4k + Nikon D5200 = fantastic)
4) An industrial machine vision camera like the David camera

The Canon cameras are the only DSLR that work with David without a capture card but with limited resolution.

Finally, for very high resolution, you can use "image grabber" feature but harder and slower to use.

You write : "or does any other 720p/1080p camera do the same job?"

What camera are you thinking about ? The camera must be "seen" by David as a webcam. Few cameras do this.

Jeff
Panasonic GH4 4K with lens 12-35, Inogeni 4K to USB3 hdmi capture device, projectors: Acer K135/Acer K11/NEC V260X, Canon 60D, macro 60 mm, MagicLantern
Curiousjeff

Postby dabela » Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:32 am

Hi Jeff.

The macro lens is not need fortunately (less expenses) as I have been able to focus the projector as close as 1 foot.

Thanks for the advice on the camera will dig around. As for a camera in mind, don't have anything specific yet. Will be looking around to find possibly a bargain or something along the line and maybe test by borrowing from a friend.

The blackmagic capture card works flawlessly with david then? As that opens a window to use any camera really with HDMI out and not having to worry if it's compatible or not. Though that restricts me to using a desktop pc, need this to be 'portable'.

Not sure if anyone tried using the Blackmagic USB capture ones and if works well with David. They use WDM so I guess it should work.
dabela

Postby Curiousjeff » Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:21 am

I would expect the USB version of Blackmagic to work, but I have not tested it. It will not do 4k but I don't know if 4k can work with David.

But be careful, you need a camera that has a "clean hdmi out". Not many camera's have that. Also, the resolution should be progressive. On the Canon 60D, the HDMI is 1080i and this causes artifacts on the surface of the object even though the result is already very good.

It's not easy to find this information from the camera manufacturer.

The main problem I have encountered is lines/waves/artifacts due most probably to frequency difference between projector and camera.

The capture card way is not the cheapest, but for the moment it is what has given me the best results.

Jeff
Panasonic GH4 4K with lens 12-35, Inogeni 4K to USB3 hdmi capture device, projectors: Acer K135/Acer K11/NEC V260X, Canon 60D, macro 60 mm, MagicLantern
Curiousjeff

Postby dabela » Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:55 am

Googled about and found some info on cameras with clean hdmi out at least in other forums and the likes, but yes not easy info to get. To do more research.

About the projector aspect ratio, which is the best or it only matters if the object fits in the projection? With hdmi you're restricted to 16:9 ratios which would be the same as 1080p/720p capture. The projector can do 1080p/720p at 60hz.
dabela

Postby Curiousjeff » Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:44 am

The basic recommendation is to use the native resolution of the projector. I don't know regarding the aspect ratio.

Obviously, the pattern, the capture image and the object should all fit as much as possible. But the projection can exceed the captured image, does not matter. Just try to get things fit the best to maintain good resolution. On the other hand, the relationship calibration panel to camera is important for a successful calibration.

I have been experimenting with the capture card and camera but please check other threads and solutions, since this is not "officially " endorsed by David (for the moment)

Jeff
Curiousjeff

Postby dabela » Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:09 am

A friend of mine will lend me a Canon SLR to test the setup at a higher resolution to get an idea. Possibly will end up starting with Logitech 9000 with some mods for now or the David camera and upgrade later to something more high spec as I haven't found a decent USB HDMI capture card yet.
dabela

Postby Curiousjeff » Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:02 pm

The Canon resolution is limited to 1056x704 (Canon live view on the 60D).

But because of the chip size and good lens, it's a very good option.

I use MagicLantern with the Canon to get the best results.

Jeff
Curiousjeff

Return to Structured Light Scanning