Dear DAVID Community,

As you are probably aware, the entire DAVID company, team and product range has been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum is now read-only. Relevant content has been migrated to HP and merged into HP's Support Forums on November 1, 2016.

To start new discussions for 3D Scanning, please register and post your new topic at the HP Support Forums

To Smooth or Not To Smooth

Questions, problems, comments and tips regarding the 3d scanning process.

To Smooth or Not To Smooth

Postby jharrison » Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:55 pm

So after scanning, do any of you typically save the OBJ without smoothing the surface due to the smoothing option that you have during the fusing process? I'm looking to retain the maximum amount of detail, so in my recent scans I saved 3 versions of each (No filter, interpolated only, and smooth median and interpolated) just to be safe.

When doing my initial tests I just smoothed and interpolated everything, but when browsing the forums I could have sworn I came across a post where someone mentioned about not smoothing at all after the scan and just handling all of that at the fusing stage.

I know I have more control over the level of smooth during the fusing stage, so should I just avoid smoothing at all until then...?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! :D
jharrison

Postby MagWeb » Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:41 pm

Hi,

think you´d read a post of mine.

I do not use the smoothing filters at all, if I plan to align and fuse the scan to others later on. Poisson fusion smoothes enough. I´d only interpolate.
The "bad linkings" (false surface linkings of depth discontinuties) are (nearly) not a real problem, for the align and fusion process referes to the vertices (points) not to the faces.

But maybe this statement will be to be changed if DAVID 2.0 offers a higher fusion resolution.

Gunter
MagWeb

Postby jharrison » Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:30 am

Yea, I did some quick testing this after noon and came to the conclusion that no filtering and a high poisson resolution is going to be the best route. Interpolating was causing some surface problems that I don't want to clean up in post, so I will most likely just clean what I can in Maya before aligning in ShapeFusion.

I Hope to have some showable results soon! 8)

Thanks, Gunter! You're the man. :)

-J
jharrison

Postby jharrison » Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:27 am

Some test results:

Specs:

Todd McFarlane Action Figure (roughly 6" tall)
Calibration Corner: 45mm
Webcam: Logitech Quickcam Pro 9000
Webcam Resolution: 960X720 - 15fps
Laser: Aixiz 635nM 5mW LaserLine w/ Focusable Lens

(Reference)

(Scan)

I will most likely grab one more scan from underneath to help clean things up a bit, but I'm pretty happy with these results, and I think it is about time to move forward.
jharrison

re

Postby humanticnc » Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:13 am

Hi Jharison
I wish very many successes , beautiful work !! :P
Tibor
Pc Hardware : AMD Sepron 2800 2.1 GHz 1 GB RAM
Cam : Microszoft LifeCam VX- 6000
Laser : 5 Mw Red pointer glass pole you are green laser Mattia timer clock
humanticnc

hello

Postby hal » Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:59 am

Hello jharrison,

Compliments! :shock: YOU are the man 8)

Amazing scans: how many times do you spend on it? How many scans were fused?

Now, with David 2, your steps in the future are the texture fusion (if you have already they of this character, you can build a textured mesh..), the retopology work and, finally, the creation of a low poly detailed model, navigable on the net, in the Wiki gallery :wink:

Again and forever Compliments, but this MUST be the first of many works with David :D

p.s.: can you explain more about your action figure (who is, what series)?

Mattia
PC: DELL Alienware 17, Intel I7-4710MQ, 32 Gb Ram, AMD Radeon R9 M290X 4GB.
SO: Win 8.1 64Bit.
CAMs: USB 3.0 CMOS B/N (1280x960, 60 fps).
LENS: 12 mm.
PROJECTOR: DAVID SLS1 ACER K11.
hal

Postby jharrison » Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:26 pm

Hey Hal,

Thanks for the compliments! I spent a few weeks testing the cabration corner sizes, waiting for my laser to arrive, and rebuilting my overall setup (Which I should show some pics of when I get around to it.)

I'm interested in seeing all of the new David 2 features, but for now I think I'm going to move on (one I finish testing with shapefusion this weekend).

The action figure is from the "Warriors of the Zodiac" series that Todd McFarlane (most popular for his "Spawn" series) created. They are typically some very high detail models which is why I had to test a few different calibration corner sizes in order to get not only the highest resolution, but also an area where the action figure could stand, be rotated, and not block either calibration plane during the scan.

I have a BFA in Digital Art and Animation, and I have to say that David is probably one of the coolest pieces of software that I have worked with; I recall the first day I caught sight of it...I did not sleep that night due to the excitement I had thinking about what I could do with it :D

This is going to be a long project for me, but I will be posting and updating my results on the Wiki for sure.

Huge thanks to Sven, Simon, and the community for making everything I have done so far possible!

I will update at every stage in the process so you all can see how things are going :)

Cheers,
Justin
jharrison

Postby Simon » Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:49 pm

Hello Justin,
fantastic! thanks for sharing your experiences with us!
It would be great if you upload some of your results in our forum (instead of linking to photobucket). Because then they automatically appear in our user gallery, and then it is more likely that other users find your amazing scans...
Simon
DAVID Developer

Postby jharrison » Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:15 pm

alrighty, any image I feel worthy of representing David in a good light I shall attach from now on :)
jharrison

Postby jharrison » Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:06 am

So here we are:

- Scan, check...
- Clean Fusion in Maya, check...

What's next?...Jumping on a plane for vacation in Mexico for a week, Yea!

I busted my butt all week to clean this bad boy up, and I will be doing a re-topo in zBrush as soon as I return home. I'll update as soon as I have something worth showing. 8)

Cheers, everyone!
-J
Attachments
Aires.jpg
jharrison

re

Postby humanticnc » Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:56 am

HI Mexikó
Only few chilis eat bean , good relaxation , wait the return of .
Tibor
humanticnc

Postby Bongobat » Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:52 am

Hi Jharrison,

Very nice work! Are you going to rig the model for animation? If not you can save yourself some work by texturing with texture fusion and touching up with maya's 3d paint tool. You would need to copy the mesh or make a lower poly by decimating in meshlab then use maya's automatic UV on the new mesh. Then transfer texture and if you want normal map from orginal mesh to mesh with new UVs. Then you can paint with maya to touch up or just to give you a better texturing reference. Would save alot of retopo and UV layout for a static mesh. However you do it please post on our wiki and show off your skillz :D

P.S Nice to see another Maya user in the forums
DealExtreme red line laser, Microsoft Lifecam HD-5000
Bongobat

re

Postby humanticnc » Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:38 am

Hi Bongobat
Do you write about this opportunity? This Modo 301 uv
Tibor
Attachments
KOMBINA.PNG
humanticnc

Postby Bongobat » Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:27 pm

Hi humanticnc,

I have not used modo yet. I think I see you have not used any kind of UV unwrapping in your picture? Do you get magenta triangles that can not be painted over? I think if you have areas of the mesh that have been filled in by poisson david moves those UVs over into a magenta area of the texture. This is why to do texture paint I needed to unwrap.

Blender has everything you need to do what I was talking about and it is very easy I will make a tutorial if anyone is interested.
DealExtreme red line laser, Microsoft Lifecam HD-5000
Bongobat

re

Postby humanticnc » Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:32 pm

Hi Bongobat
I cannot get used to it on 55 year ones Blendert , I know it though that good program (free software ) and he has even a Hungarian supporting website . I managed to master the Modo use , but I was not worth UV procession . The picture what I put up it only successful my 2. histic rescue, which the modo was able to interpret, .
http://www.mindentbele.hu/
Tibor
humanticnc

Next

Return to 3D Laser Scanning