[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4807: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3904)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4809: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3904)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4810: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3904)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4811: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3904)
DAVID-Laserscanner Forum • View topic - Projector as a laser scanner
Dear DAVID Community,

In 2016, DAVID and this forum have been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum has been read-only since then, and will be switched off by then end of 2019.

To everyone who has contributed here, we thank you for all your work and for the constructive, helpful and friendly atmosphere you have created!
Please continue to discuss on the HP Support Forums.

Projector as a laser scanner

Questions, problems, comments and tips regarding the 3d scanning process.

Projector as a laser scanner

Postby argo » Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:21 pm

Hello,

This might sound crazy, but when something comes to mind it has to be thrown out!
from my bad english maybe i can not explain it why i am interested in such a way.
but could please some one tell me, is it possible to do this?
The mean by using the projector as a laser is projecting an animated file.

I have made a simple gif image(animated) to carry 26 blue lines from up to down pixel by pixel. and each line is about 1 pixel(is it thin?)
The background of the image should be black?

Regards,
argo

Re: Projector as a laser scanner

Postby WalterMo » Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:47 pm

Your idea will work for close by small objects, but it isn't brand-new. Gunter (MagWeb) has created it some time ago:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=552

If the object is more far away the laser is the better choice because its beam diverge less. It's light is coherent.

The background should be black and the one pixel wide line white.

Walter

PS. Maybe Gunter had made more tests with this method but I cannot find it in the depths of this forum.
WalterMo

Postby argo » Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:38 pm

argo

Postby MagWeb » Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:43 am

well, that made sense at that time...
Focused on a short distance a projector gives a finer line than a laser.
As Walter said a projector's beam expands in an wider angle than a laser. But if this angle fits to the optics of the cam....
Two further proplems: The line "jumps" from line to line. So its very hard to synchronize cam and projector. I did that via COM messages sent with each recieved frame to the app that painted the line.
Next: Laserscanning expects the projected line to be straight. A projected horizontal line of a projector isn*t. It is bowed ( in some direction) at the upper and lower edge. Only the middle line should be straight (ok this depends on the precision of the optics and cushion correction stuff).
Projector calibration in SL mode instead tries to find distortions....

But it works. I did my scan "Lionman" using this.

Ha... just remembered: I did it with the MPro - the world's very first LED projector - I waited for its release... As time goes by...

EDIT:
oh, and there is allready a linescan app on my wikipages but the server seams to be down atm. I`ll provide the link later
EDIT2:
MagWeb

Postby argo » Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:05 pm

Thank you Gunter,
Great info on your wiki.
Here comes a question. is david able to process more than one line at a time? (for example : having 2 laser, one scans from top to middle and another one scans from bottom to middle at the same time)?!

Regards,
argo

Postby MagWeb » Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:18 am

MagWeb

Postby argo » Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:24 am

argo

Postby ShadowTail » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:44 am

David does support more than one line at a time.

Its called Structured Light.

Which is what you should use if you have a projector.
ShadowTail

Postby MagWeb » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:50 pm

MagWeb

Postby hunkatibor2 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:23 pm

Hi MagWeb
In theory, you could detect more structured mode laser plane?
Tibor
Intel Xeon E5410 2.33GHZ 16GB RAM Windows 7 64bit David 4.5.0
2 Basler A622F camera 2 Tamron Asfirical AF 28-80mm lense
LG DLP Projector PF1500G Canon D40 Tokina 17-70mm 1:2.8-4,5
Humanti Calibration panel system and Alignmed&Two camera
hunkatibor2

Postby Lunat1c » Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:47 pm

You know what, conflict is good.
The forum has been kindled! It was so silent and boring.
Thank you Argo! for putting controversial cases...

Best regards,
Mitsubishi xd 206u, logitech pro9000, acer 3820tg
Lunat1c

Postby argo » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:50 am

argo

Postby WalterMo » Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:29 pm

The main thing which causes issues is the different kind of hardware. Only a few people who are posting here on the forum are using the DAVID SL kit or the kit for laser scanning.

DAVID is a flexible low-cost scan system and therefore it's of advantage that different lasers, projectors, cameras and set-ups can be used. But not all self-chosen components are suitable for DAVID.

Of course not all people are able to buy the (expensive) components from the DAVID shop. Or it's not possible to import them. E.g. lasers into the USA because of strict safety regulations. (You can buy an automatic gun, but not an unverified 5 mW line laser).

So everyone is trying to find the things in his country. The result is that on the other hand it's difficult to give good tips or a high guarantee for successful scanning.

Regarding the moderators: We are working for free and I think I am the one and only who is retired. Means the others have to do their daily regular occupation. The most creative one is Gunter (MagWeb). For me it's more or less a transfer of knowledge of the experience of my work life. For Gunter most of the things were new ground. So I admire his short settling-in period in the deeper regions of 3D scanning and the technical knowledge of the hardware. A lot of his ideas and suggestions were echoed by the programmers of DAVID and implemented in new versions.

Walter
WalterMo

Postby hunkatibor2 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:35 pm

Hi argo Waltermo
I read your entry. Sad reality of the forum is dying. We do not get answers to difficult problems. I understand the farmer busy schedule. If David continues to wither. That's my opinion because I see the competition transgression.
Tibor

Sometime in the maximum value of the Forum has been of assistance, today it disappeared, except Magweb to Waltermo whom I am very grateful thank you on behalf of everyone
Intel Xeon E5410 2.33GHZ 16GB RAM Windows 7 64bit David 4.5.0
2 Basler A622F camera 2 Tamron Asfirical AF 28-80mm lense
LG DLP Projector PF1500G Canon D40 Tokina 17-70mm 1:2.8-4,5
Humanti Calibration panel system and Alignmed&Two camera
hunkatibor2

Postby WalterMo » Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:27 am

Tibor,

During all the time that you are with the DAVID forum you are scrolling through the www searching for rival products. And if you find another 3D scanner you immediately post it here.

Do you think that this is useful????? What is your aim? To show us how good you know the www? To show the DAVID owners these rival scanners? Or to lead DAVID users to these products?

I really don't know why our administrators are so liberal.

Walter
WalterMo

Next

Return to 3D Laser Scanning