Dear DAVID Community,

As you are probably aware, the entire DAVID company, team and product range has been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum is now read-only. Relevant content has been migrated to HP and merged into HP's Support Forums on November 1, 2016.

To start new discussions for 3D Scanning, please register and post your new topic at the HP Support Forums

Manually moving individual scans seems to act strange

The place for all topics related to the 'Shapefusion' tool of DAVID.

Manually moving individual scans seems to act strange

Postby Utahfab » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:36 pm

New to David, finally getting some reasonable scans, trying to align them in Shape Fusion and I seem to be getting some inconsistent behavior. When I look for a manual it says it performs much like the old one but I don’t see any explanation for the actions I’m getting.

When I try a to manually move a scan to get it close enough to another for the automatic alignment to work it sometimes moves the way I expect but sometimes it doesn’t.

Examples:
• Sometimes when I “Cntrl” “Left mouse button” and slide it slides as expected. Sometimes it shrinks or grows. When it does it there seems to be even more inconsistency in that I can’t seem to tell when it will slide, shrink or grow. What are the rules that govern which option it chooses?
• Sometimes when I’m trying to hurry it will do the shrink so badly that the scan seems to disappear. When it does I can’t seem to get it back without clicking one of the icons to line up the scans in a grid or row. If I have several scans aligned but am not yet ready to combine them, how can I get the diminished scan back?
• Sometimes when you right click it seems to rotate in a certain axis and sometimes another. What are the rules the govern which axis it chooses?
• When I’ve clicked “Start” for another scan it does its thing then just seems to sit there until I click to add it to my list. How can I see the results first without adding it?
• When it pulls in a scan it seems to show up on the screen from 90 degrees left of where the scan was taken. Is there any setting that will bring it up with a view angle to match the angle it was scanned from?

Thanks for your help!
Utahfab

Re: Manually moving individual scans seems to act strange

Postby Christian_Mendez » Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:23 pm

Hey there,

When you´re trying to manually align a mesh you have to be careful where your cursor is when you click either your RMB or LMB.
Select a mesh you want to move and click and hold a mouse button anywhere inside the viewport and you´ll notice that a circle appears.
Generally when navigating a mesh try to remember that the LMB will move the mesh and the RMB will rotate the mesh.
Pressing CTRL + Mouse Button will only affect the selected mesh.

Here´s a short overview:

Outside the Circle :
LMB : Zoom all in and out by pushing your mouse up or pulling it down.
CTRL + LMB : Zoom in and out selected mesh.
RMB : Rotate all clockwise or counter - clockwise.
CTRL + RMB : Rotate selection clockwise or counter - clockwise.

Inside the Circle :
LMB : Move all left, right, up or down
CTRL LMB : Move selection left, right, up or down
RMB : Free- Rotate all meshes.
CTRL + RMB : Free - Rotate selection.

I know it needs a bit getting used to but it´s ok once you get the hang of it.Scaling is not possible in Shape Fusion - what you are refering to
is zooming in or out wih the LMB.

cheers,
Christian
www.greyscale3di.com "if it ain´t movin´, we can scan it!"
Christian_Mendez

Re: Manually moving individual scans seems to act strange

Postby Utahfab » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:50 pm

Christain,

Thanks, that helps. I was starting to see how inside vs. outside the circle effects the movement but your descriptions clears it up.

Thanks for the help
Billy
Utahfab

Return to Shape Fusion