Question about converting file format

Questions, problems, comments and tips regarding the 3d scanning process.

Question about converting file format

Postby dabularach » Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:24 am

Hello all. I got my scanner set up with the logitek pro 9000. I would like to scan objects then use the model for cnc machining using a cam program called mastercam. I tried to open the obj file but obj is not comparable with mastercam. Can anyone give me a link or tell me how to change the obj format to a stp, Stl or Ives format.

Also, is it possible to have the scanner run while the part is simultaneously rotating on a rotary table or do I have to do separate scans of each side?

Last question
What are the benefits of the paid version over the free version of the scanning software.
Once I get the bugs worked out I am planning on buying the full version.
dabularach

Re: Question about converting file format

Postby CliveB » Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:20 am

Hi there,

You can download Meshlab v1.30 (free) It can be found at meshlab.sourceforge.net. Meshlab converts very well between obj, ply, stl
Also, Blender 3d (www.blender.org) v 2.59 will convert to stl from obj. Just an aside note: you have to switch on the obj,stl "add-ons" in the utility properties menu under " import/export" ( ctrl + alt + u opens the utilities menu ). Good luck

Cliveb
CliveB

Postby MagWeb » Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:55 am

Hi,

also DAVID can save as STL. In the Save form, where you name the file, you can choose OBJ, STL or PLY in the dropdownlist

dabularach wrote:Also, is it possible to have the scanner run while the part is simultaneously rotating on a rotary table or do I have to do separate scans of each side?

No, not yet. You´ve to do several scans of several sides with enough overlapping area. Now you can make them match in Shapefusion and fuse them to one finally.
dabularach wrote:What are the benefits of the paid version over the free version of the scanning software.

The PRO (=paid) version allows to scan and save in much higher resolution. Also you can not save the result of SHAPEFUSION in the FREE version.

Gunter
MagWeb

Postby dabularach » Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:11 pm

Thankyou for the information. When I save the obj format is the only format I have in my dropdown list. How can I get Stl in the dropdown menu.
dabularach

Postby WalterMo » Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:35 pm

I have attached a screen dump, three different file formats are really possible to save.
Attachments
Div Formate.jpg
WalterMo

Postby MagWeb » Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:15 pm

Hi,

sorry, just checked it out: Saving a single current scan without adding it to the list only allows to save as OBJ ( This is the only format you can load in DAVID). Only saving from the list (shapefusion) allows to save as STL or PLY. And saving from the list of collected scans is a PRO feature.... So this is a plus for the PRO version as well....

Gunter
MagWeb

Postby MagWeb » Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:57 pm

Here´s a quick and dirty scan to compare the results of the same scan in the FREE and PRO version

Gunter
Attachments
PRO FREE.jpg
MagWeb

Postby dabularach » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:23 pm

Wow that scan looks awesome. I will try shapefusion and resave. I haven't tried it yet because I am still trying to get a scan that looks good. Is it normal for a scan to have small gaps in the models surface. No matter how many times I go over it it still has small gaps. If I load multiple duplicates into shapefusion will it fill the voids? Also the other problem I have is my camera works fine as a webcam but when David 3G opens the web cam it rotates the picture 90 degrees. I checked Davies settings to make sure it's not that and found nothing. As I said the picture only rotates when I use David laserscanner and the problem is once it rotates I can't use the stand for the camera . The only way I was able to make it calibrate was to put the camera on it's side and prop things under it so the picture is right side up. Does anyone know how to fix this?
dabularach

Return to 3D Laser Scanning