[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4807: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3904)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4809: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3904)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4810: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3904)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4811: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3904)
DAVID-Laserscanner Forum • View topic - Grounding problem?
Dear DAVID Community,

In 2016, DAVID and this forum have been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum has been read-only since then, and will be switched off by then end of 2019.

To everyone who has contributed here, we thank you for all your work and for the constructive, helpful and friendly atmosphere you have created!
Please continue to discuss on the HP Support Forums.

Grounding problem?

Grounding problem?

Postby Zeppelin1007 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:55 pm

Hey guys

Bit stumped here. Trying to get a basic stepper+arduino setup running here.

I'm running an arduino Mega128, a Pololu A4983 stepper driver, and im using an S150-9 for a power supply as seen here

http://www.meanwell.com/search/s-150/s-150-spec.pdf

Beefy little thing. Can handle 16 amps! I have a 3 prong cable wired to it properly.

So ive uploaded the test code from my arduino from this tutorial:

http://forum.pololu.com/viewtopic.php?f ... ino#p18758

Only instead of 12v im running at 9v. I have a small heatsink on the stepper driver, and biased it around 1amp. The motor turns just fine, although slowly, but i'm not complaining. It has a 99.5:1 gearbox. Also where it says 5V on the pololu, i'm running that from the arduino. I have the grounds between the arduino input/output and the PSU supply all jumpered.

So whats the problem? It works great, for about a minute, then one of a few things happen. 1. It simply stops moving. 2. It stops moving then a few seconds later, 3, it stops moving, then the PSU cuts off, along with my powerpad! Scared the crap out of me.

WHy i wonder if its a grounding issue, i notice while biasing it, if i touch the adjustment screw with a metal screwdriver, the current drops to near 0. Also just before everything stops working, my ampmeter climbs to something insaine, 12amps? All i'm doing is putting it in paralell between one of the motors coils.

The other reason i question grounding is the high pitch squeal, i beleive its coming from the motor, but again, it seems to change pitch if i touch the adjustment screw.

Any suggestions? Im close! I just dont want to damage any of my parts!

Thanks in advance guys!
Zeppelin1007

Re: Grounding problem?

Postby WalterMo » Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:49 am

Hi,
What to do?
First: Don't connect an amperemeter in parallel to a load (here: motor coil). Always in series!
The amperemeter has a very low internal resistance which will cause an "infinite" high current.

Connect it just at the + V output pin of the power supply in series to all the loads ( Arduino and Pololu with the motor). You should measure a current at standstill or at a slow speed of the motor of about max. 1 Amp.

Your power supply is by far oversized for this job. And what I know from switching power supplies of PC's, they need a certain base load. Maybe the current load is too less. Therefore and for testing connect a 12V bulb of the back lights of a car directly to the output pins of the power supply (in parallel).

Regarding ground lines: Connect both lines from Arduino and Pololu board as separate wires directly to the - V pin of the power supply.
Connect FG (pin 3) only to the earth pin of the mains.

Walter
WalterMo

Postby Zeppelin1007 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:34 am

Zeppelin1007

Postby Zeppelin1007 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:53 am

Walter i feel like such a newb. And im in school for electrical engineering. Doh.

I simply had to rebias the current. Now somethings up with my meter, because it fluctuates and tells me im only using 3mA, either way it turns fluently and it hardly heats up now. My guess is it was supply too less of a current, then going into shutdown mode, then the motor would ask for infinity. Which would explain the heatsink heating up, cause now it hardly does.
Zeppelin1007

Return to Hardware