Any idea how to improve textures quality ?

Anything that doesn't fit the other topics should go here.

Any idea how to improve textures quality ?

Postby Kitamo » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:06 am

Hi.

As You see on attached renders, quality of textures on object is a little bit poor. I'm using logitech camera with 1280x720 resolution to scan and to grab a texture, but I wonder what can I do to make them sharper and more detailed.
I was tryin in Photoshop improve a little bit quality and color balance but its not enough - its still to much blured.

herex examples, i hope You like it:
Attachments
owca4.jpg
owca6.jpg
Kitamo

Re: Any idea how to improve textures quality ?

Postby MagWeb » Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:20 am

Hi,

IMO there are two major things concerning texture:

- lightning of the object should be smooth all-around light, no directional spot light, avoiding shadows. Shadows will change if you move the object and you'll get contradictory colour (brightness) information. This leads to a not so brilliant - gray/pale fused color.

- fusing a texture, the partial textures "fixed" on the partial meshes are blended to its neighbours. You should get a clean as possible texture if your scans fit together perfectly too (know, that´s said easily) and you avoid doubled texture information. Means: After you did your alignment use mask and delete unneeded parts of the single mesh (you do not need such big overlapps any more) and minish blending zones (with its danger to be blurred). To do this, I show only two meshes, roughly mask the overlapp and hide the mesh which data I want to keep. Now, deleting the masked area will only affect the visible mesh. aso

Gunter
MagWeb

Postby Kitamo » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:18 am

So as I think my major mistake is making to many scans and problems with overlaped textures, right ?

I made that object from 12 scans so this should be the problem, and right - my light when i grabbed texture was directional so this make my textures with shadows :idea:
I made so many scans to get more accurate algin in shapefusion, but mby i should grab textures not from all scans but only from second or third in a row :idea: ? Shapefusion will still blend them ?
Ok, i need to try this :) thx for answer.
Kitamo

Postby Bongobat » Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:17 pm

You might try recording a short video instead of a grab and use image stacking:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2070&p=12794
DealExtreme red line laser, Microsoft Lifecam HD-5000
Bongobat

Return to General Discussion