Hello Davidians

Anything that doesn't fit the other topics should go here.

Hello Davidians

Postby Kitamo » Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:17 am

Hi.

I read the whole forum a few days, I thought it was good time to introduce myself and present my first scan.
I got last part of my set today (red 5mW laser) so i just try to make something and i was .... supprised oO
With DAVID software whole 3d scanning is so easy and give alot of fun (yeah i just made feew scans, but i'm sure i will made alot of them in next feew days and this will be nice fun :) )

I use for now very cheap red laser 5mw , connected to 2x AA rechargeable battery ( i made for them special holder to remove them easy) in next feew days i will look for green laser but its hard to find in my country green linear laser so i wil ltry to tweak some green laser pointer - we will see if this will work.

My camera its LOGITECH HD Pro Webcam C910 and its realy good - scans even from hand are fast and accurate. I was testing before that my old Logitech Fusion webcam - it was almost impossible to get clean scan, that Fusion cam got problems with laser recognition and I got alot of noise (i got even problems with calibration ).

I made my calibration corner from wooden boards with printed and sticked calibration points on white paper (now i understand why its so important to do this precisely - now my calibration part and scan part is more accurate than before).

As holder for laser i use tripod from my DSLR camera - when i scan i just use a lever to move tripod head with sticked laser UP and DOWN.
I do this manualy so mby its not so much accurate like electric motor but its enough for me and taught me some patience :)

That statue dont have very good details but i didnt get anything better for now to test :)
Its maded from 9 scans and textured in external program.
I hope some day i will made good scans like some of you guys- i saw many good scans on forum and some of them are so PRO !!
And i can rly recommend That logitech C910, its rly very good as i know its replacement for Logitech pro 9000
Attachments
Figure.jpg
Scaned using a low cost red laser + Logitech c910 HD cam
Last edited by Kitamo on Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kitamo

Postby hal » Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:36 pm

Hello and welcome,

thank you for sharing your results.
Seems very promising. You wrote that you are using a cheap set-up and hardware, but I see that your results are more than good. Really my compliments, keep this amazing work up. :D

Many thanks for your feedback about the C910 webcam. Hope to see more soon.

Regards,
Mattia

p.s.: I suggest to use the "attachments" feature of the forum, to upload your images. The limits are quite generous: 1280w x 1024h pixels.
hal

Re: Hello Davidians

Postby Kitamo » Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:29 am

Thx for info, i didn't saw that function before :) and its easier than imgshack.

I was trying with other objects but well, i dont have obiect more detailed :/
And i was trying to scan small object like this elephant, and i dont know You are scanning bigger objects with alot of details.
I know that You are scanning each part alone and after that all is combined together. But how to scan part of an object ? to get more deatils i need to make another one Calibration points with smaller scale and put camera closer to the object and then scan each parts and stick it together after that ? Or there is another way to set camera closer and calibrate it on that same calibration scale ?
Attachments
slon.jpg
Ceramic figure, little low detailed scaned from hand
Kitamo

Postby hal » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:22 am

Hello Kitamo,

Kitamo wrote:[...] to get more deatils i need to make another one Calibration points with smaller scale and put camera closer to the object and then scan each parts and stick it together after that ?

Yes, this is exactly what I do. the trick is to have a calibration sheet that fit perfectly with the single piece that you need to scan.
Don't care if you can't see all the calibration markers. See this. As you see, only the 6 rings are needed, so you can use the same calibration set that you already have and zoom more on its centre.
Keep in mind that the resolution of your scans are strictly related with the number of pixels enlighted during scanning, by the laser line.
As a first step, I suggest to place your object in front of the camera and move it/zoom the camera as well as you can, just to have the object well fitted with the camera view (take in mind, if you scan with panels, to leave at least 1/5, 1/4 of free camera view area in the right and left sides: here David must see the laser line on the panels). Aster this step, find the best Size value for you calibration sheet and print it.

Hope this helps,
Regards,
Mattia
hal

Postby Kitamo » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:40 am

hi

i just checked how my lowcost setup will scan a object with many colours and diffrent textures. It was very reflective and dark object so my red laser was not so well :/
After scanning I missed some textures but anyway i'm happy.
Attachments
fontanna.jpg
Kitamo

Postby Kitamo » Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:17 am

hi

Today I tried to scan a very small object.
Because my camera can focus at very short distance I tried to scan the object that is not larger than 5cm (dogs got only 2cm).
I wanted to get the scans with maximum amount of detail, so the object was scanned in several parts.
For final object is maded from 12 scans and rendered with Zbrush / Blender

When i was making scans I just realize that my camera sometimes work better when I got turned on a little of light in a room. There is less noise.

Today also I made a small table to rotate my objects. I just used old hard drive parts (discs + motor) and sticked this to iron stand by very strong little magnets.
Magnets alos depend on motor wich now is moving witch 8 steps wich give me 45 degrees each one. Without a magnet metal disc and motor move without any steps and very smooth :)

So now i can manyaly rotate that turntable exactly by 45 degree.
enjoy
Attachments
dogs.jpg
Rendered in zbrus, 5cm tall whole object
pieski.jpg
Rendered in Blender
Kitamo

Return to General Discussion