Experimentation with premiere pro filters and encoded video

Questions, problems, comments and tips regarding the 3d scanning process.

Experimentation with premiere pro filters and encoded video

Postby cooltech » Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:15 am

Hi all

Was messing around with a few ideas for changing and increasing beam width for DS to read easier..

Here are my results so far... will nail it soon for the presets..

Scanned from canon 7d 1920x1080p 29.97 fps video files (converted to xvid avi framerates and res same as source)

(the laser beam is red and from a mitre saw I think its rated at 1mw)

cheapredbeam.jpg

The next result was altered in colour,denoised and used a gain around the white areas making for a cleaner laser and less refelections around the beam (gold reflections like this tend to be a pain to scan on times)

filteredredbeam.jpg

This is the result using this modified video file

goldtest.jpg

You can see far less spikes if any with this tester... but the sharper textures can make a huge difference in appearence...

A cool way to increase the sharpness of the textures is to take a (18 million pixels in this case) photo and rescale image to fit 1920x1080p (or what ever matches the scanning video)

make a video of about ten seconds. That way the image when reduced is much sharper.
Then load the video up and grab the image. I generally have the scan video and that photo at the end so its all in 1 need file for scanning and grabbing a precise image.

Will update this soon with an ideal filter mix for those difficult and shiney objects.... why doesnt DS have this facility... plenty directx video plugins out there.. to clean things up..

Anyone else tried this....
Canon 7d
canon 100mm macro lens
tokina 11-16mm wide lens
canon 100-400 mm prime zoom lens with x 2 extender
canon 50mm 1.4F lens
30mw green line laser module
1mw mitre saw red laser
Merlin automated pano head
2 tripods
cooltech

Re: Experimentation with premiere pro filters and encoded vi

Postby cooltech » Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:23 am

this is the original beam...

originalbeam.jpg

It had a tendancy to spike alot from the reflections and spot reflections... both tests are set at the same smoothing, average and interpolation.
Canon 7d
canon 100mm macro lens
tokina 11-16mm wide lens
canon 50mm 1.4F lens
1mw mitre saw red laser
2 tripods
cooltech

Postby cooltech » Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:27 am

I will have a 30mw green line beam (and safety glasses) next week. Hopefully it will improve things... and will try filters on that as well to see if it helps remove more of the surrounding laser noise (its not camera noise iso is to low for that) but it might be the conversion process thats messing up the details divx and xvid even at 25mbit max has very bad quality.... please add support for h264 codec its more popular than ever.
Canon 7d
canon 100mm macro lens
tokina 11-16mm wide lens
canon 50mm 1.4F lens
1mw mitre saw red laser
2 tripods
cooltech

Postby cooltech » Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:29 am

Hi all

Heres another scan but with much higher texture resolution... I tired out the double resolution idea 3840x2160 resolution. And the mesh size was stunning lots of details but to no avail the texture video would not grab for some reason... its not lack of ram 6gb main ram and 2gb vram.. must be something else.. maybe because its a 32bit app ... anyways

heres a snap with 2048x2048 rescaled from 5133 x 3456 texture grab realigned and encoded at 1920x1080.

testhighres.jpg

I only have a demo so I cannot test out a complete and fused object... think I will wait until DS has more to offer for higher resolution scans... (structured light).. was thinking of using my old 35mm film auto projector... it can project 35foot with a decent brightness to it... not sure if a series of 35mm structured scan lines would work... anyone here know!
Canon 7d
canon 100mm macro lens
tokina 11-16mm wide lens
canon 50mm 1.4F lens
1mw mitre saw red laser
2 tripods
cooltech

Return to 3D Laser Scanning