[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4807: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3904)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4809: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3904)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4810: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3904)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4811: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3904)
DAVID-Laserscanner Forum • View topic - 1 Euro scan
Dear DAVID Community,

As you are probably aware, the entire DAVID company, team and product range has been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum is now read-only. Relevant content has been migrated to HP and merged into HP's Support Forums on November 1, 2016.

To start new discussions for 3D Scanning, please register and post your new topic at the HP Support Forums

1 Euro scan

Which camera works? Where can you buy an adequate laser? And more...

1 Euro scan

Postby rajkox » Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:47 pm

Hi!

Can anybody tell me what hardware (camera and laser) are used to create scan from 1 euro coin? What resolution of camera was used? other details?

Thanks!
rajkox

Postby hal » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:23 am

hal

Re: 1 Euro scan

Postby Simon » Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:26 pm

Thank you Mattia, for your help! Now I have some more time for programming... :D
Simon
DAVID Developer

Postby rajkox » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:18 am

Thanks!! That was it.
rajkox

Postby WalterMo » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:00 pm

Have just (OK, two days ago) scanned a coin in the planeless mode.
I have written there something about the used hardware and settings:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1001&start=135
WalterMo

Re: 2 Euro scan

Postby WalterMo » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:56 pm

Hi,
Here we have a planeless scan of a 2 Euro coin, minted in Greece, as a FLASH.

Walter

Attachments
2Euro 3D Scan.jpg
Front and backside of the coin as an untextured, but fused 3D image
WalterMo

Postby Bongobat » Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:22 am

Hi Walter,

Very nice scan! and also your Olympic PDF in the multimedia gallery. :shock: :shock: :shock:

As you know I am very interested in the microscanning so I am curious. Can you list some scan details? In particular:
What is the diameter of the coin?
About how long was the scan time?

thanks,
Greg
DealExtreme red line laser, Microsoft Lifecam HD-5000
Bongobat

Re: 2 Euro scan

Postby WalterMo » Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:45 am

Hi Greg,
Thanks for the three :shock:

Here are some details:

All regarding the 2 € coin.
Logitech Pro9001 with a 16mm telephoto lens at 960x720 pixels @ 15fps.
Green laser, Printout scale = 8mm, Untreated coin 25.8 mm in diameter.
Scan: 2000 micro steps across the coin, 1 x interpolated, not smoothed.
Poisson fusion with a resolution of 700.
UseRememberedPlanePoses = True. ScanStartDetectionMode = 1 (first enlightened pixel)
Intersection angle about 42°.....44°. Worm gear scanner.
Very long scan time across the coin: about 150 sec. Distance lens to coin = 180mm.
Vertices decimation for the FLASH obj from 203000 to 6500 by MeshLab. That means from 28MB to 1.2MB.
The texture file wasn't reduced. (as .png = 1 MB)

Have I forgotten something..........?

Walter

Edit: "A long time ago" I had already scanned the same olympic coin. But in the meantime we have the planeless technique and we have learned a bit more: viewtopic.php?p=482#p482
The diameter of the olympic coin was 32.5mm.
WalterMo

Postby Bongobat » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:54 am

Hi Walter,

Thanks for the info.

Here is a similar Planeless scan of a quarter but I am still having small micro waves :x so I smoothed 2X.

640 X480 SPC900NC
Printout Scale 6mm
Matte painted 24 mm diameter nevada quarter
DX red line laser
1.8 degree stepper on 70 tooth worm gear driven at 1/16 microstep with 50 milisecond delay
UseRememberedPlanePoses = False. ScanStartDetectionMode = 0
About 40 -20 degrees intersection angle
Distance lens to coin = 30mm

Greg
Attachments
planelessnevadaquater.jpg
Planeless laser scanned quarter
Bongobat

Postby WalterMo » Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:52 pm

Hi Greg,
I think your quarter $ scan at 640x480 is very fine.

Looking at your motor scanner we see that it has nearly the same resolution as mine. Your motor has steps of 1.8° (mine 0.9°) and is working at 1/16 (mine 1/8). The worm gears are about the same, 70:1 and mine 50:1.
Due to your wide-angle lens the intersection angle varies strongly. And the lens distortions should be more as of a telephoto lens.

If you like, you should make a test and create a new quarter and align the scanned side also to the back side of the coin at a distance of about 2mm. Then fuse it by Poisson with a resolution of ca. 700. The smoothing function of Poisson is sufficient. Perhaps you have stored the original scan without two times smoothing?

Walter
WalterMo

Postby WalterMo » Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:54 am

For the planeless scan of another coin I have used this time the highest possible resolution of the Pro9001, 1600 x 1200 pixels @ 5fps.

The silver coin was minted in 1973 in honour of the world-famous astrologer Nikolaus Kopernikus. The front side with the orbits of the planets has a fine structure. This was the reason to use the high resolution. Perhaps it would also be possible with a lower one.
The set-up was the same as was used above for the 2 € coin. But the scanning speed was very very low. The clock rate for the stepper was only 3.52Hz. That means four times slower as for the 2€ coin. Diameter was 29mm.
A photo of the coin you can find here:
http://www.emuenzen.de/verkauf/5_DM_Kop ... -7794.html

And as a pdf file you can find the coin here in the Multimedia Gallery:
http://www.david-laserscanner.com/wiki/ ... sCoin3.pdf

Walter
Attachments
KopernikusCoinBeide.jpg
Both sides of the fused coin
WalterMo

Postby hal » Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:38 am

Dear Walter,

Amazing and unbelievable results!!!
A real "Kopernikanische Revolution" for David without panels. You spur me to do a better job with my/yours motor stepper and controller for panels-less setup. You set the bar every time at new high level, WoW.

Bye,
Mattia
hal

Postby Bongobat » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:39 pm

Attachments
PlanelessNevadaQuarter.jpg
Planeless scans of a Nevada quarter with no smoothing or interpolation
PlanelessNevadaFused.jpg
Fused result of the planeless scans
Bongobat

Postby simmosam » Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:38 pm

Hello,

these result are amazing and I hope someday that I will achieve this also.
But what is the pixelheight of the laserline when you scan a coin? can this be achieved with a line thickness of 4 pixels?

greetings
Sam
simmosam

Return to Laser and Camera Hardware