VideoScan: first release

VideoScan: first release

Postby f1oat » Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:45 am

I have written a small tool inspired from Magweb's "linescan3" to scan with a videoprojector.
Everything can be found here : http://www.david-laserscanner.com/wiki/ ... an_project
The main new feature of this tool is the automation of multiple scans.
f1oat

Re: VideoScan: first release

Postby MagWeb » Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:26 pm

Hi,

that works brilliant! Thanks a lot!
I´m gonna update my WIKI page to link to yours...

Question:
What´s the "Scanner serial port" ? Does it talk to a port where e.g. a microcontroller drives a turntable?
If so, just an idea:
Could your VideoScan send a value to the port describing "360°/number_of_scans" (e.g for 8 scans : 360/8=45°)? This way the turntable could move exactly that value...
Now with that known value of rotation, we could manage to automize Shapefusion as well using the CommandFileInterpreter
(see: http://www.david-laserscanner.com/wiki/ ... nterpreter) if your App writes that command file after the last scan and calls Shapefusion...

Happy new year
Gunter
MagWeb

Postby f1oat » Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:35 pm

Gunter, thank you for your feedback.

I am interested in your tests to confirm if you obtain the same scan results as with linsescan3.
I have not implemented the "rate" and "timeoffset" sliders because on my setup the effect was not observable, but I can add them if required.

Yes, the "scanner serial port" is for a future microcontroller driven turntable or laser stepper motor. Currently, Videoscan only drives the DTR line to switch on/off a scene light for texture capture. I am currently building a small electronic device to drive two white LED ramps for object lighting.

If you already own a turntable, I can add the serial port messages for you.

Another idea: I plan to have an automated "structured" light mode. Videoscan will send in sequence the 12 patterns to the videoprojector and synchronize DAVID accordingly. I hope we can do a complete scan in a few seconds with this method. But before that, I have to play with the existing "structured light grabber" to learn how it works. I do not know if it is compatible with the COM commands and messages.

Happy new year. For sure, 2010 will provide lot of fun with 3D scanning !
Frederic.
f1oat

Postby MagWeb » Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:33 pm

Hi again Frederic,

well, the rate and the offset slider were there to do some tests...but I think there´s no actual need.
Your App gives the same results on my system as my linescan3 and adds some very nice features.

The only thing I miss is a white projection in the calibration step (here I get a black projection - that I ´ve to switch to white via your buttons on the right).

Would be nice if you could add the turntable commands. It´s not a big thing to setup such a Arduino/stepperdriven device.

Think automating SL in DAVID at its current state isn´t possible.
There are no commands that call those functions. And I think this way now (via that calculated line movie) is going to be a complete different one when SL will be fully integrated into the software.
The only thing you can do now, is to generate the patterns on the projector and to grab and save the shots automatically (if you use a streaming cam or a still image cam that can be controlled by the PC). To feed the images into DAVID has to be called via the structured light grabber by hand.

Think DAVIDs CommandFileInterpreter called by you App at last using a simple textfile could give the fused mesh automatically.
Some time ago I made a simple tool here:
http://www.david-laserscanner.com/wiki/ ... estversion
Now, for your app knows the partial files and maybe their viewing/scanning angle it could do something similar and produce the end result easily.

Gunter
MagWeb

Postby no respect » Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:54 am

Hello f1oat,

Great add on program you made. I have a little problem, but I did not know if it's my setup or a bug. Half way through the scan I get sporadic lines on the top half of the projector screen mostly on the right. I have checked to make sure no open folders have over lapped the extended desktop but all is good. I have my extended monitor set at 1280 x 800 and have Vista 32 bit system. I went back to the link to try downloading it but gave error "<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?> blah blah blah. I think your idea for a automatic projection and capture in SL is brilliant even if its not ran by David. My results with playing the images back as a video then recording and pulling the still out are horrible and the process is slow. That's being a little to kind. Now don't get me wrong I love SL and have great results with the manual approach, but this is not always convenient. I did run across a free program that does what your
proposing http://code.google.com/p/structured-light/ with tutorial here http://www.instructables.com/id/Structured-Light-3D-Scanning/ This just is not as accurate as David, but does 3D video at something like 60 fps.

Thanks
Eric
no respect

Postby f1oat » Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:08 pm

Eric, the "xml problem blah blah" problem is caused by the MS ClickOnce deployment which requires IE or a specific plugin for Firefox.
I have updated the wiki link to solve this issue. I hope this will be compatible with all web browsers. Please note that the downloaded setup.exe will connect back to the web server to get the application. So, the Windows PC on which you install Viseoscan must have internet access. If installation problems remain, I will find another way to distribute the software.

For 1280x800 scan, it should work, but I whill check my software.
Frederic.
f1oat

Postby joshuaweiss » Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:14 pm

Hi!

Something is not right on my com0com setup or david, but I can't say what.
mayby right info is on this Magwebs pdf, but it does not open. Download: installlinescan3.pdf
Could someone paste it here? Please and thank you :D

Have a good start on 2010!
joshuaweiss

Postby no respect » Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:16 am

Hello Frederic,

Everything is working now. I had a small problem with my PC, it's called Windows OS. The download works perfect now thanks. I noticed it's a different release. Did you make improvements? Will you post your program latter that is self contained so internet connection is not a concern? Thanks a million for the program.

Thanks
Eric

P.S. I just noticed the file size on my desktop is 666 KB and I'm running Windows (I'm in trouble now)
no respect

Postby kyle » Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:46 am

no respect wrote:http://www.instructables.com/id/Structured-Light-3D-Scanning/ This just is not as accurate as David, but does 3D video at something like 60 fps

Just wanted to chime in and mention that the reason it's not as accurate as David is that it currently uses a relative decoding technique optimized for speed rather than accuracy. It's written to allow for extensibility, however: there should also be a discrete and continuous gray code generator/decoder implementation.
Last edited by kyle on Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
kyle

Postby f1oat » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:28 pm

[quote="no respect"]Did you make improvements? Will you post your program latter that is self contained so internet connection is not a concern?quote]

Hello Eric,
No, there is no improvements comparing to 1.0.0.4: it is only an update of the deployment method. ClickOnce is very easy to use in my IDE => only one click to update the web server with the new release ! But, I agree, Internet connection for installation may be painful, I will try to find another solution in the future.

Frederic.
f1oat

Postby no respect » Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:26 am

Hi Frederic,

Thanks Frederic. I think you, Gunter (Magweb), & Greg (Bongobat) are a great asset to the David forum. I'm working on a program now that will sync projection & capture. I came across a program Limnor http://www.limnor.com/index.html that does visual programing (no-code). This was an easier approach to programing since the last time I wrote code was around 18 years ago on a mac. I will make this available to everyone when I finish. I'm about halfway done (I think) and still need to test, so if all goes well a week or two and I will be done.

Thanks
Eric

P.S. I'm running into some snags I'll try to keep at it. Unless someone wants to help (this is my first program in a long time).
no respect

Postby MagWeb » Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:26 am

Hi,

attached a result using your VideoScan and a 1240x768 projector.
I decided to do 12 scans only and to rework some details to improve my skills ...
lance was modelled
Attachments
Beowulf.jpg
MagWeb

Postby joshuaweiss » Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:23 am

:shock: Great work Gunter, truly!

About your hardware:
Did you use logitech pro webcam and 3M projector, that small one?
What about your computer, can you tell me something about that.

Joonas
MagWeb fan :D
joshuaweiss

Postby DBS » Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:40 am

Amazing work..... Really perfect. I have no words....
Dell Precision 380; Intel P4@3,0Ghz, WinXP
Camera : Logitech C910
Laser : DealExtreme 5mv Focusable Red
Cheap Motor Driver; 1,8° Stepper motor; 400:1 gearbox (selfmade)
DBS

Postby MagWeb » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:04 pm

Thanks,

@ jonas:
I used a modified PRO 9000 (as described by WalterMo: viewtopic.php?p=7805#p7805)
I´ve updated my projector: http://www.digiscope.url.tw/yellowpage/ ... html#48176
This new manufacturer is distributed in Germany under "EnWo" available at Amazon
(Quite a good projector for its class)

My "PC" is a IMAC (late2006) 2.16 Core 2 Duo running XP via bootcamp 3GB RAM

Gunter
MagWeb

Next

Return to Software