Iron Man Suit

Anything that doesn't fit the other topics should go here.

Iron Man Suit

Postby hal » Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:17 pm

Hello to everybody,

it's time to show you the firsts steps of a project I'm working for.
Months ago Mr.Al Graham contact me and show his purpose to build a real-life sized suit of the Marvel's character Iron Man, model Mark II.
The general idea is to scan a well-detailed puppet, re-build the entire mesh topology, refine and adjust the details looking at the style of movie's armour. Finally send all the 3D files to .Al Graham for the CNC work.
Mr.Graham send me the action figure and I've started the first scan months ago. I'm proceed very slow (I do this only in my few spare time): only now I've something to show.
This is a Work In Progress and I can't set now a deadline date for the entire project, so I'll update this thread fitfully.

Well, it's time to begin.
Here below you can find an image of the real object: an action figure from Hot Toys company (http://www.hottoys.com.hk).
It's 30 cm (12 inch) tall.

MatM_IMs_The Action Figure.jpg

In the second image you can see that the puppet have many moveable pieces and hidden parts.

MatM_IMs_The Action Figure open.jpg

Finally some screenshots of the process of scanning. As visible, I've used the latest great feature of David to rotate the camera. By this way is possible to scan better and more closely long and thin object. Thanks Sven & Simon!

MatM_IMs_David camera rotation.jpg

... to be continued ...
hal

Iron Man Suit

Postby hal » Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:18 pm

Here you can find some videos that explains the process of scanning:

- An overlook on the subject http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GzhUpJsF1c ;
- After disassembly and coating, I'm ready to scan http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUEayV6YhwY ;
- The scanning process with the green laser http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwcteKqKM_M ;
- After that all sides are scanned, they are aligned and fused with ShapeFusion http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhnRLYo2FFs ;
- A quick turntable movie of the final result of scanning http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXbdotH7fnY ;

The disassembled pieces were scanned one after other... I need to scan others 9 little pieces, before to start the retopology step.

MatM_IMs_First group of pieces.jpg

... to be continued ...
hal

Iron Man Suit

Postby hal » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:05 am

Some others images about the WIP (Work In Progress).

after scanning, every pieces was positionated in the right position respect other.
Here a screengrab from 3D Studio Max.

MatM_IMs_The WIP pieces reassembed.jpg

After posing all pieces, some parts are hidden by other (the real model have moveable parts).

MatM_IMs_Hidden pieces.jpg

This is all, for this time. Soon I must scan other pieces and move they in the right place.

MatM_IMs_The Work In Progress.jpg

This is, for now, the end of these pages of my "Iron Man Project" workflow "diary".

Bye and greetings for an amazing new 2010, full of happyness, lucky and... scans!
Mattia
PC: DELL M90, Intel T7200, 4 Gb Ram, nVidia Quadro 3500FX.
SO: Win 7 64Bit.
CAMs: USB CCD Color (1024x768, 30 fps) & Canon EOS 1000D.
LENS: 12 mm & VariFocal 3,5-8 mm.
PROJECTOR: ACER K11 & DELL M110.
LASERS: 5mW and 16 mW.
hal

Re: Iron Man Suit

Postby MagWeb » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:28 am

Hi Mattia,

happy new year!!

Compliments, sure as usual, wow.

I saw your scan quality feedback:
A line of 1.8px at a intersectionangle of 52° at 1024 lines almost filled by an object of (I guess about) 15 cm. :shock: :shock: :shock:

Using the same laser, there never was any chance to get a nearly equal value, no matter which cam, or cam-settings or DAVID settings I use.
Which magic do you use to get such a thin line ? It seems there are notable differences between "same" lasers.....

Gunter
MagWeb

Postby Simon » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:38 am

Hi Mattia,

as always: fantastic scans form mattia !! :D
Thank you very much for sharing these images and videos!
Simon
Administrator

Postby hal » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:28 am

Hello and thanks

MagWeb wrote:I saw your scan quality feedback:
A line of 1.8px at a intersectionangle of 52° at 1024 lines almost filled by an object of (I guess about) 15 cm.

This screengrab was taken long time ago, so I don't remeber all correctly. However, I used a little pieces of green plastic sheet, from old style 3D glasses, and put it in front of the camera's lens: this reduce a little the "noise light" of the environment and make more thin my laser line. But 1.8 pixel isn't a real thin line (for me). The latest scans I've done are around 1.2, 1.5 pixels. About the object is 12,5 cm tall. But please, remeber that the screengrab that I've posted show a scan done in Repetition Mode, without panels, so sometimes during this kind of scanning, the values are not reported correctly.
Suggestion: I've notice of a little improvement of the laser line quality after a deep cleaning of the laser lens with a cleaning gel like this http://www.cyberclean.net/what_is_it.html . Hope that this can help.
There is an other fact that must be valutate in the pixel dimension of the laser: the coating of the object. I've tested different ways. Please read about at this thread, my last post (viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1283&p=10244#p10244).

Bye
Mattia
hal

Postby JRdezigns » Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:44 am

Absolutely astonishing. I almost spent the money on that model so I could scan it as well, but I wasn't sure how well my results would be so I opted for the Mobieus model for $20. I got some great results but the hot toys model is a lot more accurate.. Great Job on yours... I haven't even touched my scan since i did it but I just got a projector so I am looking into the structured light stuff.. Again Nice work. If its possible could you post up orthographics of the finished model. just a direct front and side view image. I would like to compare that model to my scan. Thanks

-James-
JRdezigns

Postby Jonathan_SA » Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:12 am

Hey guys, this is my first post her in the David forums :-)

Great job on the Iron Man scans there, I am currently doing a similar scan at home of plastic model parts (some VERY small), but cannot get the accuracy and detail that I want, how did you get your scans so clear?

I am using the Logitech Pro 9000 and a red focusable line laser module with a very accurate 90 degree corner, but still scanning by hand, I need a device for that...

Keep up the good work and if anyone has any ideas for my case, any advice is welcome :-)

P.S. I will put up some images once I have some ready
Jonathan_SA

Iron Man Suit

Postby hal » Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:55 pm

Hello,

only a very quick update about the re-modeling of the scanned objects.

Hey, how is hard to work with Subdivision Surfaces?! :?
If someone know a good technique to cut, add details and editing Polygons with NURMS subdivision (with 3D Studio Max or others software), advices and help are welcome! :wink:

Best,
Mattia
Attachments
MatM_IM_HelmetRivets_LR.jpg
W.i.p. Iron Man Suit Project - KeyShot 2 software, real-time renderings.
hal

Postby Ordibble Plop » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:10 pm

Hi Hal, I don't know what level you are at with poly modelling and I don't use Max, but you might just find this tutorial on hard surface modelling usefull - http://vimeo.com/10941211

Dave
Ordibble Plop

Postby hal » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:15 pm

Thank you very much, Dave.

The tutoriual is very interesting, thanks. I've found many usefull tricks and tips. :D
I'm already able to do all the things that the author show (ok, not so good and not so quikly as him), but seems that I can't solve my problem.
I have build a surface that work correctly when I subdivide the surface. I've found the right curvature that I want, but if I insert a detail, like a groove, the new polygons modify (obviously) the whole curvature. I thought that exist a way for avoid this and save the original curvature (like we can do with NURBS surfaces), but seems that I was wrong... :roll:
Probably I need to change my technique of 3D modeling or find an other way to proceed.

However thanks a lot,
Mattia
hal

Tips for 3D Studio Max and Subdivision Surfaces

Postby hal » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:54 pm

Ok,
I've found a nice solution for refining subdivision surfaces (with 3D Studio Max) without modify too much the original shape:
to use an alterante combination of MeshSmooth/TurboSmooth and Edit Poly modifiers.
Example: build your raw mesh with few polygons, add a NURMS smoother at desired value and after add a Edit Poly modifier. With this last, you can add all your desired details on the already subdivided surface. At the end you can add an other MeshSmooth/TurboSmooth modifier. You can repeat thes sequence many times that you need.

Hope this could be usefull for someone
Mattia

p.s.: sorry if these last messages are a little out of topic.
hal

Iron Man Suit

Postby hal » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:29 pm

Hello, here an other quick update.

Mattia
Attachments
MatM_IM_HelmetAirIntake_LR.jpg
hal

Postby Strob » Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:16 pm

wow! that's great. I just modeled the whole Iron Man by hand in 3dsmax 2011 cause I did not have a 3D scanner. I used the same figure you are using for reference (the red version). I also deformed the model to baby proportions to make the Iron Baby clip.

It's definitely a great modeling challenge! I hope to have my own 3D scanner running soon!

see my clip on youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaaQwJAww6s

the models ar available on turbosquid: http://www.turbosquid.com/Search/Artist ... rral=strob

those rendered with vray
Strob

Postby hal » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:22 pm

What can I say, Strob? My full respect to a master of 3D modeling. :shock:

Did you use Subdivision Surfaces or Nurbs? mmm ... seems SubSurfaces, right? Great technique.
How much time did you need to do the I.M. suite with "standard proportion"?
If you want, I'm hungry to some tips with 3D Studio Max modeling... :wink:
Any advice and suggestion from a master are welcome!

As a forum member, I'm honored to have you with us.
Hope that you can have fun with David.
My compliments,
Mattia

p.s.: Iron Baby is fantastic! Cool idea.
But instead the rabbits, Why don't to fight against the Teletubbies? They are so... annoying :twisted:
hal

Next

Return to General Discussion