Dear DAVID Community,

As you are probably aware, the entire DAVID company, team and product range has been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum is now read-only. Relevant content has been migrated to HP and merged into HP's Support Forums on November 1, 2016.

To start new discussions for 3D Scanning, please register and post your new topic at the HP Support Forums

Fuel3d scanner

Fuel3d scanner

Postby protowax » Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:01 am

Hello guys...
I just received as a beta tester the 21st fuel 3d scanner...
some pics about it...
tests in a next post...
Attachments
2014-11-19 16.57.45.jpg
2014-11-19 17.06.17.jpg
protowax

Re: Fuel3d scanner

Postby hunkatibor2 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:59 am

Hi protovax
:D :wink: :shock:
Tibor
Intel Xeon E5410 2.33GHZ 16GB RAM Windows 7 64bit David 4.5.0
2 Basler A622F camera 2 Tamron Asfirical AF 28-80mm lense
LG DLP Projector PF1500G Canon D40 Tokina 17-70mm 1:2.8-4,5
Humanti Calibration panel system and Alignmed&Two camera
hunkatibor2

Postby protowax » Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:45 am

3DFuel...
Ok guys... I have tested this "scanner" for more than one month now, and I will publish the resuts...I need to make some videos to explain how I tested it... you know that this company raised a lot of funds aroud their project...
and then a lot of money is involved in this project...I have never seen a real independant test on Fuel3D on the web...
if you look on the forum, you will see, I'm not a beginner in 3D scanning.. I studied in Stanford in the 80" and we were working on that... I was a beta-tester for LaserDenta, Imetric, NextEngine... I have been using David laser for 5 years now (laser system and structured light system)...
I can use Polyworks, Geomagic, Rapidform to work on the scans and I tested all the solutions I have to post-process the scans... I have also Artec Studio and a Microsoft Kinect, a Carmina Sensor to compare...
Then I will tell you what I think...
protowax

Postby hunkatibor2 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:06 pm

Hi Protowax
I'm very impatient for results.
Tibor :roll:
Intel Xeon E5410 2.33GHZ 16GB RAM Windows 7 64bit David 4.5.0
2 Basler A622F camera 2 Tamron Asfirical AF 28-80mm lense
LG DLP Projector PF1500G Canon D40 Tokina 17-70mm 1:2.8-4,5
Humanti Calibration panel system and Alignmed&Two camera
hunkatibor2

Postby protowax » Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:55 pm

Ok.. I have been testing this scanner for one month now... I sent a lot of reports to Fuel3D and I was waiting for updates of their software...
I sent several mails to ask if they had alpha or beta test software.. they are in beta testing and no release in one month ! I have never seen that before and I have been in 3d scanning for 20 years (I started to use 3D scanners at Standford in 1985 !) ...
The results I have are very bad... I you take one shoot and if you drop the area not reliable, you get something interresting.. It's why I think they have only one face shot on youtube and their site.. if you are trying to make more scas and aligned them, it does not work ... the dropping angle seems to be very high...
I'm sure that the greek head scan, the only 360° scan they published on the site was not done with the scanner they shipped as a beta version..
Honnestly, I got better scans with a kinect... (when it is involving scans with multiple views).
and the target is so big, that it is difficult to make a scan with only one shot...
I really don't know what to think about all of that... they made a lot of money just on a concept... the concept is good but they have a lot, a lot of work... and to redesign their prototype... when you know 3d scanning and when you see the prototype, you just know they made the bad choices...
David Laser Scanner remains one of the best choice I know...
I will wait until tuesday for an answer from them... if they have no new version of their software, I will publish my videos...
protowax

Postby protowax » Sun Jan 18, 2015 4:02 pm

ok guys... as I told you the results I have are really bad... I finally got an answer from Fuel3d and they say that the unit they sent me is defective...
Well.. it looks like it's working the problem being the quality of the datas acquired...

they offered to send me a new unit to make new tests... I will then wait for this unit to publish a test as honest as possible...
protowax

Postby VisualConduct » Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:00 pm

Oh thank you for posting this! I was about to take my credit-card for this scanner, but then I found your post.
Its weird I checked and could not find any test about this scanner.
Will be keeping an eye on this thread!

Thanks again, Robert Glotzbach
VisualConduct

Postby protowax » Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:15 am

Fuel 3D shipped me a new unit to test it... The first one was considered as defective... I'm waiting for the new unit to post an honnest post about my tests...
protowax

Return to Hardware