Dear DAVID Community,

As you are probably aware, the entire DAVID company, team and product range has been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum is now read-only. Relevant content has been migrated to HP and merged into HP's Support Forums on November 1, 2016.

To start new discussions for 3D Scanning, please register and post your new topic at the HP Support Forums

DIY 3d scanner - suggestions for

DIY 3d scanner - suggestions for

Postby Anti » Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:56 pm

Hi,

I play with the idea to build an own 3d scanner with multiple cams which should record coloured (textured) scans within 1 second or less time. Thus, I'd like to ask all the experts in this forum which hardware they can recommend for such a purpose.
* Which factors in general limit the scan speed?
* Which types of cams can you recommend - with which specifications?
* Is the frame rate of the cam the limiting factor?
* I assume the aim (scanning under 1 s) can only be acchieved using USB 3 connections. Could it also work using USB 2?
* How important may be computer properties (graphic board, memory, etc.)?
* Which projector can you recommend and which characteristics should they meet?

Thanks in advance
Anti
Anti

Re: DIY 3d scanner - suggestions for

Postby NARMELLA » Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:30 pm

Hi Anti,

It is very good that you want to Speed ​​up the process of scanning. :D
David has some options to do this; like using "Speed" option in structural light column or reducing the value of "Noise Reduction " in advanced settings and ...
But i don't want to suggest you to use them . Because you will loose precision and details of scans.
Seems David laser scanner is limited to use a camera with frame rate up to 60 FPS.
And seems the programming algorithm of david is to capture a frame of a pattern , Processing and going to the next frame.

It would be good that developing team of david change it to do this algorithm in 3 operations :
1- Only capturing images of patterns for first operation.
2- Calculating and showing a rough scan result for second operation.
3- Calculating final scan result.

By using a combination of operations 1 & 2 ; this will speed up scanning process .

But for your idea it is good to use image grabber.( Lets call it "USING PRECAPTURED IMAGES ")
Unfortunately In this way , you have to spend more time for capturing images . And you can solve this problem only by writing a simple program to do it in less than a second .
Then those images will be ready to use in image grabber.

Good luck
NARMELLA
Data projector : NEC VE 281
Camera(s) : Canon eos 600D (3x)
Software : Lets scan 2.5 + David laser scanner 3.9
گشتاور صنعت تبریز
NARMELLA

Return to Hardware