Dear DAVID Community,

As you are probably aware, the entire DAVID company, team and product range has been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum is now read-only. Relevant content has been migrated to HP and merged into HP's Support Forums on November 1, 2016.

To start new discussions for 3D Scanning, please register and post your new topic at the HP Support Forums

Thor Labs camera

Thor Labs camera

Postby Datto » Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:55 pm

The Logitech Webcam hack I've been using has died. Looking for a Monochrome camera I can actually afford.
Does anyone have any experience with Thorlabs cameras?
Any way to determine in advance David Compatibility?
http://www.thorlabs.com/thorproduct.cfm?partnumber=DCC1545M

Or possibly this Imaging source board camera. They don't give much info compared to thorlabs about physical dimensions, mounting points, etc.
http://www.theimagingsource.com/en_US/products/oem-cameras/usb-cmos-mono/dmm22buc03ml/

Thanks! :)
David-Laserscanner V.3.9.1 64 bit
Acer K-11 Projector
ImageSource DMK 42AUC03 with 12mm Computar lens
Toshiba satellite L655 Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
8GB RAM installed
Datto

Re: Thor Labs camera

Postby MagWeb » Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:41 pm

I would not choose a rolling shutter cam (as the Thorlabs you linked to) .
TheImagingSource cam is a global shutter cam, but its resolution is poor.

Don't know if you're laser- or SL scanning.
In case of laserscanning this might be interesting:
http://www.e-consystems.com/1MP-USB3-Globalshutter-Kamera-de.asp (sorry, it redirects me to the German page all the time)
It has a very poor driver (not that good for SL) but in case of laserscanning that's (IMO) o.k. and it ships without housing.
MagWeb

Postby Datto » Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:12 pm

Ah, Using SL scanning. The David camera is totally out of my budget range at this time, unfortunately.

What are your impression of this camera?
http://www.theimagingsource.com/en_US/p ... mk42auc03/

Thank you for your quick reply!
Acer K-11 Projector
8GB RAM installed
Datto

Postby Datto » Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:18 pm

Have just read of some potential issues with the Imaging Source DMK 42AUC03. Now I'm even more anxious.
Does David sell the David Camera for SL scanning without the lens? I already have a computar 12mm lens. $780 is just more than I can spend.
Acer K-11 Projector
8GB RAM installed
Datto

Postby micr0 » Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:02 am

Datto,
I too am looking at the Imaging source cameras but am hesitant. I've tried a couple of other machine vision cameras and web cams with varying degrees of success. The machine vision cameras I have were all pulled from decommissioned inspection lines we (I) consulted on. They are slow compared to what David can use (about 5fps max at a reasonable rez) and the image sensors are far from new. So I'm actually at the point where I'm considering buying the David camera because I want a good camera and want to eliminate as many variables as I can. However being in the US I would have to go through a reseller and so far have nothing good to say on that subject. I'd love to order the camera directly from David off their web site, but that's not their policy. Instead there are resellers that either only sell the SLS2 kit, not the components, or have quoted me literally double the price for just the camera. Seriously $1499.99 for just the camera is flatly insulting. The imaging source DMK 42AUC03 is $299 and I'd be willing to consider $771 (595euro) for the David cam3, But the US resellers are asking prices that just don't make sense. I could literally fly to Germany and buy the camera for less then what some of these resellers are asking. New York to Frankfurt is ~$680 right now and I could at least visit my cousins in Heidelberg. Really what this means is that I too will probably be buying the Imaging source DMK or another global shutter industrial camera as I'm sure it's better than what I have now and there is no way I'm going to deal with any of the US resellers and pay their unearned and exorbitant mark up for the David cam 3.

And to top it off the vendor selling the camera for $1499.99 is back ordered. As in they probably do not actually stock it and have to get it from Germany anyway.

µ

Edit: Another Reseller just got back to me with a reasonable quote. It is still a few hundred $ more than the price listed on Davids web site but it isn't stratospheric. Again they don't have it in stock so they have to get one from Germany but it is better that the previously mention price by quite a bit.

P.S. David people. you are selling fewer cameras not more with this scheme. The US resellers should be matching your website price or bettering it.
µ
micr0

Postby MagWeb » Sat Sep 13, 2014 7:57 am

You've cousins in Heidelberg? Maybe they could buy it in Germany and ship it to you?

Just an idea
MagWeb

Postby Datto » Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:42 pm

micro,

I went ahead with ordering the Imaging source DMK 42AUC03 Global shutter monochrome CMOS camera, knowing of the potential issues. ( Have a backlog piling up)

And issues it had, but only for awhile. I got the randomly appearing horizontal bars reported elsewhere on the forum, but a look at theImaging source FAQ led me to a link for this:
In case you use an Intel CPU, you may try Processor Idle State Manger. It tries to prevent the CPU going into C3 state. The program can be downloaded from http://www.imagingcontrol.com/en_US/downloads/tools/

I also got a kind of wavering brightness on the camera feed but lowering the shutter speed got rid of that.

The results (so far, knock on wood) are scans much cleaner than those from my Logitech C600
Acer K-11 Projector
8GB RAM installed
Datto

Postby micr0 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:55 pm

How are you making out with the imagingsource camera? Can you give us a long term report/ update?

µ
µ
micr0

Return to Hardware