Dear DAVID Community,

As you are probably aware, the entire DAVID company, team and product range has been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum is now read-only. Relevant content has been migrated to HP and merged into HP's Support Forums on November 1, 2016.

To start new discussions for 3D Scanning, please register and post your new topic at the HP Support Forums

How to make Mesh Processing faster?

How to make Mesh Processing faster?

Postby AlexNoir » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:39 pm

Hallo!

I'm working since more then one year with Meshlab, but now I'm comming to the borders of my time. The program is computing the simplification of a 32.000.000 Mesh for 2 days until now (it's still not finished). 12.000.000 I'm normally getting within some hours. I'm also working with Blender for several posibilities to proceed meshes (Boolean, sculpture...)

My RAM is of course completly full (16GB) but the CPU is only running on 2-6% (2 Quad each 3Ghz). My graphics Card is a NVIDIA GTX650 1Gb. And I'm processing the files from a fast SSD.

So what can I do to faster the processing of Point clouds and meshes in general? I mean more RAM (there I would Need unfort. a new Mainboard, but okay...) or a better graphic Card? (Im not sure, but I read somewhere that These kinds of processing is not connected to the Cards) - for example would a NVIDIA Quad Series help or a "normal" GTX? Maybe in Connection with a Tesla? Or what else?
Or in gerneral how can I faster the process? The Money issue is at this Point secondary, but I don't want to buy a complete new Computer - the question is for serveral components.

Please help or share your experiences :)

Alex :)
AlexNoir

Re: How to make Mesh Processing faster?

Postby hal » Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:33 am

Hello,
as far as I know, that kind of process is on the CPU shoulders. Maybe MeshLab can't use all of your CPU resources.
As you said, GPU don't care. It care only during live viewport navigation. There are systems and sofwares that use GPUs to decrease the CPU work, but I don't think that MeshLab use this way.
16 Gb of Ram also are enough. So seems your hardware is ok. Maybe MeshLab not the best optimized software for huge data?
I know that is free, but if your workflow are stopped by this issue, please take a look over commercial solutions (like Cyclone for ZF scanners, Or RapidForm or Geomagic...).

I like very much MeshLab, but on my poor hardware I can't use it for serious workflows, because it crash 2 times on 3.

Regards,
Mattia
hal

Postby AlexNoir » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:22 pm

Hey! Thank you for that answer!

I have to say that I would like to have Geomagic instead of Meshlab - but hey 5000 to 6000€ for that software (even STudio or Wrap) is really to much, and I asked several distributors if there is a student version avaiable (I'm a student ;) ) like with many other professional software from different application - but there arn't...

It's a pitty.
Alex
AlexNoir

Postby hunkatibor2 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:53 am

Hi Mattia
Italian Meshlab students develop the program. Mattiának should talk to them about the problem. If so be looking for it, but only on Earth.
Tibor :wink:
Intel Xeon E5410 2.33GHZ 16GB RAM Windows 7 64bit David 4.5.0
2 Basler A622F camera 2 Tamron Asfirical AF 28-80mm lense
LG DLP Projector PF1500G Canon D40 Tokina 17-70mm 1:2.8-4,5
Humanti Calibration panel system and Alignmed&Two camera
hunkatibor2

Postby hal » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:58 am

Hello Tibor,
Is true that the "fahter" of MeshLab is italian, but not made by students. It was created by Doc. Paolo Cignoni, a reasercher at CNR.
Exist a forum about this software and Cignoni and his team update and fix the software.
As I wrote, I think is great software, but for simple reasons can't compete directly and can't have the same support as a commercial solution.
Versions after versions MeshLab will be more robust and stable.

@ Alex:
I know the prices are out of possibilities of students (and not only). Did you tried the demo versions? Maybe just to solve the issue you have with that big amount of poligons...

However... let me to ask some questions to you and give suggestions to avoid to be freezed with huge meshes.
Is really necessary that huge amount of polygons? What is your final purpose? Make renderings of the mesh? Edit it into a 3D software for other purposes? Use the scanned surface for a redrawing process? 3D printing?
Sometimes I see in this forum nice projects that have a polygon count too high related to is final purpose. 32 milion of poligon for one mesh is a real big number to work with. These values for one mesh are usually reached from the ZBrush sculptors that create files for high-level purposes: cinema FX production, Videogames creation, object-toys industrial production...
As I told they use software like ZBrush, maybe the only one on the market, at present day, that can handle milions of poligons also on "not-to-powerful" computer. But I know ZBrush is mainly created for sculpting and artistic purposes and don't have all the tools that a more "thecnical" user need.
But also this software can be usefull for a 3D scan project.
My main suggestion is: keep low as possible the polygons value and divide the object into sub-parts.
If it must be a unique smooth surface, ok maybe hard to cut it. but I think 90% of what I saw in this forum can be divided into several meshes with the lower polygons amount possible.

My working rule is: the size matters! Smaller is better ;-)

Obviously all is realted to the final purpose. So, please, let me know a little more about your project and maybe I could give you better suggestion to optimize the workflow and avoid those obstacles.

Regards,
Mattia
hal

Return to Hardware