Dear DAVID Community,

As you are probably aware, the entire DAVID company, team and product range has been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum is now read-only. Relevant content has been migrated to HP and merged into HP's Support Forums on November 1, 2016.

To start new discussions for 3D Scanning, please register and post your new topic at the HP Support Forums

Help with scans

Help with scans

Postby Jokeri » Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:20 pm

Hello,
Can someone check these files if they are any good for making 3dmodel?

Engine block

Exhaust

I scanned the engine block and exhaust with artec eva scanner and it might be that the scan quality is not good enough to make anything out the files.

I tryed to use Meshlab to clean you the files but I dont know how to use the program..

Thanks in advance.
TT
Jokeri

Re: Help with scans

Postby MagWeb » Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:07 pm

Hi Jokeri,

this isn't a topic related to DAVID. So I move it to the ThirdPartyHardware section.
Which doesn't mean that you'll get no help here... but our knowledge about Artec hard- and software is limited.

Looking at some of your results: It will be very hard work .... and maybe the final quality will not be as expected...
Fixing it with means of DAVID - maybe that works:
Fuse each single scan without closing its holes - save;
Load all the fusion_results again, align and fuse this again, now closing the holes.

Hope, you saved your projectfile in Artec Studio.

I never tried an EVA but ArtecStudio with a Carmine1.09 sensor - but I think its just the same workflow.
There are two modes:
LiveFusion and "Scan". While you get a single mesh (Fusion) along with a "Scan" with LiveFusion a normal "Scan" produces a stack of scans (for each frame a separate one - you can see them right clicking on the file in the scene browser via the pop up menue).
Exporting such a "Scan" combines al the partial scans without connecting, fusing them. Think that happened with your first EngineBlock file: It owns several not connected "mesh-layers".

To fix this, you've to do a Fine and GlobalRegistration on the Scan (in Tools) first and some Fusion (also in Tools) after that.
Now there should be another entry in your righthand scene browser named something like "fusion". Export this one...

There should be better support contacting Artec for you paid some bucks to get this hardware.
MagWeb

Postby Jokeri » Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:22 pm

Thanks for the reply MagWeb

I dont own the artec software. I used it in school,
but unfortunately the guys who are in charge of the scanning equipment are not that reliable when it comes down to timetables.
So i dont think I´ll deal with them anymore.

I do have david scanner but I dont have projector that I can use with structured light..

Anyhow, i got my answer, there is too much work with those files.
Jokeri

Postby MagWeb » Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:33 pm

If you have the Artec projectfiles: Think there's a full featured demo...
MagWeb

Return to Hardware