Dear DAVID Community,

As you are probably aware, the entire DAVID company, team and product range has been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum is now read-only. Relevant content has been migrated to HP and merged into HP's Support Forums on November 1, 2016.

To start new discussions for 3D Scanning, please register and post your new topic at the HP Support Forums

Help with CAD to make vertical setup easier

Help with CAD to make vertical setup easier

Postby SeaBorneScanner » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:59 am

I've been trying to scan tiny object with even tinier details using the SLS kit.
Overall the results are amazing, but with some objects the angle between the projector and the camera, despite being the closest possible on this red aluminum bar thing makes it impossible for deep 'cavities' within the object to be illuminated and captured at the same time.

I though the easiest way to solve this, is to use vertical setup, however, since I don't have the time, money and easy access to material/machine shop I cannot really customize my projector+camera mount, like the impressive setups people on this forum have created.

Therefore, I thought of an easy solution which I can send to e.g. Shapeways and have it 3D printed, but I need someone's help to CAD it, because my modelling skills are so lacking.

The idea is simply a piece of plastic with mounting holes which sits on the top front part of the projector so it doesn't obstruct access to the button/venting holes, so you can decrease the angle between the camera and projector even further than what the red bar allows.
In theory once the model is done, David can also include it in their kits.

Here's a picture that's worth a thousand words:

Anyone up to the task?
:)
Attachments
SLS.jpg
SeaBorneScanner

Re: Help with CAD to make vertical setup easier

Postby SeaBorneScanner » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:35 am

No one is up for it?
:/
SeaBorneScanner

Postby WalterMo » Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:07 pm

I can make a plastic disk for you, similar like on the photo. And the disk can easily be glued by double faced adhesive tape on the projector. A 1/4 inches screw holds the ball head unit on the disk.

Send me a pm if you are interested.

Walter
Attachments
Holder on Acer K11.jpg
WalterMo

Postby SeaBorneScanner » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:12 am

Hey Walter,

That's a low-cost creative solution, Thanks for the offer :)
But it is too scary for me, if I knock something off, or it somehow falls.
Also, I want to be able to change configurations as quickly as possible, because I scan things in different scale, and an adhesive makes this difficult.

I have access to AutoCAD 2013 at my university, and I'm fighting with it in order to try and create this, so frustrating...
Does anyone know a good free online course for 3D in AutoCAD 2013?
SeaBorneScanner

Postby SeaBorneScanner » Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:57 pm

I eventually managed to create it with some help and get it 3D printed.
Here's the result, I'm happy with it!
It sits quite snug on the projector thanks to the elasticity of the plastic.

I had to remove the tiny plastic loop on the projector that holds the string for lens cover, and relocate the 'David' brand sticker ;)
If anyone wants the .STL file let me know.
Attachments
IMG_0574.JPG
IMG_0577.JPG
IMG_0578.JPG
SeaBorneScanner

Return to Hardware