Dear DAVID Community,

As you are probably aware, the entire DAVID company, team and product range has been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum is now read-only. Relevant content has been migrated to HP and merged into HP's Support Forums on November 1, 2016.

To start new discussions for 3D Scanning, please register and post your new topic at the HP Support Forums

motor for the laser

motor for the laser

Postby Monnem » Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:45 pm

Hi,
I', new here and just started with laser scanning. With interest I've read the ideas about a motordriven laser, built with a gearmotor or a stepper. This sounds quite complicate to me. I've found a motor fitting the idea "cheap and easy". The motor is called a "Spiegelkugelmotor", in english Mirrorspheremotor???. I'm speaking about this spheres you find in discos, reflecting the light with mirrors.
I've found two at Conrad-electronics:
1. 1,5V DC 6 RPM ~5 Euro
2. 220V AC 1 RPM ~20 Euro
Greetings
Monnem

Postby MagWeb » Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:50 pm

Hi Monnem,

Welcome,

A motor with a 1rpm transmission means: one pass of the laser would last about 10 seconds, for you need a range of about 60° ( depends on the distance object/laser). This may be to quick for some high resoluted scans ( if you wish to detect the lasers light with every pixel you can get with one pass of the laser).

I made the best experiences with one pass only:
Lets say you do a scan at 960x 720 fps--> you get about 15 frames/s--> means you get about 150 frames / laserpass on 720 lines in vertical--> about only every fifth line of the picture does its job.
At 640x480 you will get about 30fps--> means 300 frames / pass on 480 lines--> nearly 2of3 lines do their job...... ( hope you got the principle)

----> with that speed you get a lower resoluted scanresult at a higher resoluted picture( again: preassumed: one pass only)

But using this gearmotor ( I used a similiar , a grillmotor, Landman 7.50 € 1,5v 4 rmp ) with a small "barn door" like jbeale suggestedhttp://www.david-laserscanner.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=183 is a good idea. I used a model-railway transformator to vary the speed.

For principle handmoving or gearmotor is enough, but a pc controlled stepper has the advantage, that you can give the commands for DAVID and your setup hardware with one worksation: your PC.

Gunter

Gunter
MagWeb

Postby WalterMo » Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:32 am

Hello,
At that time when jbeale opened his thread „Building a motorized scanner“ I was interested to test a simple DC-motor and bought the same motor as he suggested from www.pollin.de. Type 04885206 for 5.95 €. With a 3V DC supply it has 1 cycle per minute. But I found it was still too fast for precise scanning.
So I came back to my old stepper motor scanner and in the meantime I replaced the 3.6° motor to a 0.9° one. The attached worm gear is still in action of course.

By the way: A simple 230 V AC motor has the disadvantage that it isn't possible to change the direction of rotation nor to vary the speed.

Walter
WalterMo

Return to Hardware