Dear DAVID Community,

In 2016, DAVID and this forum have been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum has been read-only since then, and will be switched off by then end of 2019.

To everyone who has contributed here, we thank you for all your work and for the constructive, helpful and friendly atmosphere you have created!
Please continue to discuss on the HP Support Forums.

USB 3 Cameras

USB 3 Cameras

Postby pottersfriend » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:43 pm

Hey there,

I just noticed that Point Grey has come out with a line of USB 3 cameras. Not that I can afford one right now but I'm curious what others think of these cameras and the specifications. If you could afford one which do you think would be the best for use with David laser and/or SL scanning?

Anyway, just thought others might find it interesting. I've attached a PDF of the spec sheets.

Cheers,
Darin
Attachments
Datasheet_Flea3_USB3.pdf
Point Grey USB 3 Camera Specifications
(407.32 KiB) Downloaded 255 times
pottersfriend

Re: USB 3 Cameras

Postby WalterMo » Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:18 pm

Hi Darin,
I am waiting for an USB 3 camera since I had seen the first on the Hannover CeBIT fair last year:
http://gizmodo.com/5365507/worlds-first ... 080p-video

I don't know its price but I think they aren't cheap. Current PCs are equipped with minimal one USB 3 port, like my new notebook. I had hoped that USB 3 would find one's way into the webcam production, but it hasn't.
Looking on the datasheet you linked to, I would prefer the second one, the FL3-U3-13Y3M. It's a CMOS, but even will come with a global shutter. This combination isn't very common. And regardind SL scanning, global shutter cameras might be better suited.

A little disadvantage is that the photo sensor is ½ inch, cheap CS-Mount lenses are only suitable for 1/3 inch sensors. But I think if someone likes to buy this (not low-cost) camera, he will also invest a bit more money in a „finer“ lens.

Walter
WalterMo

Re: USB 3 Cameras

Postby pottersfriend » Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:19 pm

Walter,

From what I see here in the US the prices are $695 and $795 for the two cameras that are currently available. The one you mention, with the global shutter, isn't out yet. I'm curious what the pricing will be.

It does seem like it's taking a long time for the adoption of the new USB 3 technology. Hopefully more USB 3 products will become available soon and maybe Point Grey will start selling their cameras in Germany soon so you can get one. :)

Darin
pottersfriend

Return to Hardware