[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4807: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3904)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4809: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3904)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4810: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3904)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4811: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3904)
DAVID-Laserscanner Forum • View topic - Opensource hardware setup Euclidean Spaces
Dear DAVID Community,

In 2016, DAVID and this forum have been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum has been read-only since then, and will be switched off by then end of 2019.

To everyone who has contributed here, we thank you for all your work and for the constructive, helpful and friendly atmosphere you have created!
Please continue to discuss on the HP Support Forums.

Opensource hardware setup Euclidean Spaces

Opensource hardware setup Euclidean Spaces

Postby peer23peer » Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:46 pm

Hi Guys,

First off all David Laserscanner people, great work keep it up.

Last year I spend a lot of time with the development of a hardware setup for David Laserscanner. Due to me have to re-priorities my spare time, I started with my bachelor of engineering after working hours made me make the decision to stop actively working on this project and to share it with anybody that is interested.
Keep in mind that it is shared under the creative common 3.0 Attribution-Non Commercial-Share Alike. This basically means that you can use this project and alter it for your own use, but you can't make money off it, that privilege is mine alone.

It uses a custom made PCB shield for the arduino and I all the code is written in C for the arduino, and C#.net for a sync tool that synchronises the settings. Keep in mind that I learned myself PCB design and electronics as well C during this project.
The casing is made in Solidworks 2010 and has an stupid design flaw which can easily be solved. The distance between camera and laser is to short and should be increased. But aside this simple flaw everything works.

I also got 3 PCB shield (without the parts) for sale for anybody that might be interested

The project can be found on sourceforge

If anybody got any questions about the project you could allways ask and I will try to answer as soon as possible.

I hope somebody will find it useful cause it gave me great pleasures working on it.

Jelle Spijker
pic1.jpg
pic2.jpg
pic3.jpg
peer23peer

Re: Opensource hardware setup Euclidean Spaces

Postby peer23peer » Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:30 pm

peer23peer

Postby WalterMo » Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:51 pm

Hi Jelle,
You have started to present an interesting project with a nice design. And of course we are very curious what is inside the housing. You told of an Arduino and published its code, but what about the camera and the laser moving mechanism? What kind of gear is used? May we get to know more?

Walter
WalterMo

Postby peer23peer » Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:59 pm

Hi Walter.

Inside there is an standard arduino uno with a custom made shield. the laser is rotated with a gearbox and a 200 steps stepper motor, which gives me resolution of something in the region of 8000 steps for a full rotation (out of the top of my head)

the stepper motor is controlled by the SN754410 chip.
I designed two break-out boards at which you can place an object.
one is just a rotation and the other rotates and tilts an object both use 200 step stepper motors. you can connect these boards with an conmen 15-pin d-sub cable (also known as an monitor cable) and it will automatically detects which board is attached.
There is a third break-out board where there is an red/green led attached, an encoder and the light sensor which can be pushed. these are the controls and they give you feedback on light conditions and the current mode in which the scanner is in.

below is an better pic of the arduino shield and an test set-up of the gearbox

the PCB schematics are made with eagle cad PCB design (freely downloadable)

the rest is to be found at the posted sourceforge link

hope this tells you more

Jelle

pic4.jpg
pic-5.jpg
peer23peer

Postby peer23peer » Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:39 am

I forgot to mention the webcam.

I use a Logitech HD Webcam C270 which I stripped down to make it fit in the casing.

Jelle
peer23peer

Postby peer23peer » Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:58 am

Here are the designs for the Arduino shield.
david shield v101 alpha schematic.png
david shield v101 alpha PCB.png
peer23peer

Postby peer23peer » Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:08 am

Here are the designs for the break-out controller
david shield break-out controller schematic.png
david shield break-out controller schematic.png (3.58 KiB) Viewed 4342 times
david shield break-out controller PCB.png
david shield break-out controller PCB.png (3.44 KiB) Viewed 4342 times
peer23peer

Postby peer23peer » Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:12 am

The schematics for the 1-axis world
Which support only rotation
1-axis world board schematic.png
1-axis world board schematic.png (6.45 KiB) Viewed 4342 times
1-axis world board PCB.png
1-axis world board PCB.png (7.48 KiB) Viewed 4342 times
peer23peer

Postby peer23peer » Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:27 am

The 2-axis world board
This was my first attempt to use logical gates. I needed to rotate 2 motors but I only got 5 usable pins on my arduino. So I made the board below. When I first tried it, I found I made a mistake. I switched some of the IC's. So I started to redesign it. Because I had an better understanding of electronics and I learned to interpreted data-sheets better, I realised it could be made more efficient.
See the last schematic. I haven't made the pcb design for this schematic. If you decide to make a 2-axis world one should not use my first attempt but build from the second schematic.
2-axis world board schematic.png
2-axis world board PCB.png
2-axis world board schematic improved.png
peer23peer

Postby peer23peer » Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:33 am

I put all the boards on 1 great board so I could save some money (Hey I'm Dutch)
And finally got the custom made PCB which set me back €70,- for 5 sets.
sIMAG0307.jpg
sIMAG0309.jpg
peer23peer

Postby peer23peer » Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:42 am

Below some pictures of the top housing.

All the solidworks parts and assemblies are downloadable at sourceforge (total package is something like 30mb)
On my previous school the had an 3D-printer so I got the opportunity to make a rapid prototype in plastic.

IMAG0727.jpg
IMAG0729.jpg
peer23peer

Postby peer23peer » Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:54 pm

peer23peer

Postby peer23peer » Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:08 pm

peer23peer

Return to Hardware