[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4807: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3904)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4809: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3904)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4810: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3904)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4811: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3904)
DAVID-Laserscanner Forum • View topic - Arduino Uno + Adafruit motor shield (small problem)
Dear DAVID Community,

In 2016, DAVID and this forum have been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum has been read-only since then, and will be switched off by then end of 2019.

To everyone who has contributed here, we thank you for all your work and for the constructive, helpful and friendly atmosphere you have created!
Please continue to discuss on the HP Support Forums.

Arduino Uno + Adafruit motor shield (small problem)

Arduino Uno + Adafruit motor shield (small problem)

Postby Kitamo » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:43 am

Hi.

I just got my Arduino UNo + adafruit motor shield

I just connect both of them and everything is Ok but, when i try to connect even simple DC motor to one of its four inputs (M1 to M4) and i start very basic program to run connected motor, i got only green LED on motor shield blinking and nothing more (i hear very weak noise from arduino board).

I was trying on feew diferent DC motors and always the same.

Its a problem with not enough power ? or i need to something more ?

I got 9V DC power supply to power UP arduino, i need to powerup motor shield too or what ?

I got too stepper motor Mitsumi M42SP-4NP and I cant find any info about that one (tehre is many M4sp steppers but not that one.
I grab him from old printer. I cant find any info about his voltage and power what he need to run, i got only info about impedance (40 ohm)
Looks like this one, but mine got 5 wires.
Kitamo

Re: Arduino Uno + Adafruit motor shield (small problem)

Postby MagWeb » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:12 am

MagWeb

Postby Kitamo » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:24 pm

Hi, thx for answer
Yes i was reading about that jumper settings, and as I dunno if i understood this good - if i have connected 9V power to arduino jack and i want to use that power on motorshield too, i need to close jumper setting on motorshield or it should be opened ?
I was thinking that when jumper setting is closed I will need put some currency to EXT_PWM on motorshield, to power up motors. Or i meesup something :D
I was soldering it at night so mby i don't understood all :D

I was trying with many motors, i got many small motors (i was taking only them where i was sure that they need less power than 500mA) and for now i just check DC motors (I got 2 steppers but one of them is realy big and i think it will consume more than 1A) and other smaller Mitsumi, but i cant find any info about that one.\

So lets this make more simple :
Its possible to power up arduino + motorshield + DC motors/steppers only via USB cable ? or it always need external power up on Arduino JACK (9V)

I want to powerup all in easiest way, and USB cable will be connected anyway all the time so ARDUINO can be powered by USB but i'm not sure if its enough to power up res (motor shield + motors)
Or mby i should power up motor seperately and arduino + motorshield will be powered via USB (i understood it good that for that solution is that EXT_PWM on motor shield board and jumper setting ?)

Sory for my totaly lame questions but after 1 hour of soldering that at night and 12hours at my work im totaly brainless :D
And now i'm not totaly sure if that noise was from boards, mby it was from motor but when i put motor on M1 connection , I saw that green LED on motor shield lose a little power (it was glowing less) and that noise was only when LEDS was glowing and it was changing this state in 1 second interwals. (turn on/ turn off).

I need to check currency on outputs i think its good idea. I will make mby picture of what motors i have and how its looks like all.
Kitamo

Postby Kitamo » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:30 pm

Ok, now i'm at home and i check a little more.

I check M2 port (wich is prefered by my program) and yeah i got difrent states on the output (from 0v to 3v).
So now as I read i should put to EXT_PWR on motor shield power (9V for motor etc) and put jumper to open (no jumper) circuit . This will give me arduino powered by USB and all thing working without any 9V DC power pluget into arduino (jack port).
Whole motors will be powered by DC power supply soldered to EXT_PWR ?

Second way is to put DC 9V to JACK on arduino, than change jumper on motor shield to CLOSE position (pluged jumper) and my motors will be powered from arduino JACK power input ?

EDIT:

Ok i just plugged STEPPER and something is working.
Stepper is moving but no matter what I do it move forwar 2 steps and backward oO

i checked on 2 steppers and always that same oO what i need to know about that steppers more ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UB5W4TW9-9k
little movie where you can see my problem.
Kitamo

Postby milz » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:34 pm

hi

did the motor run if you push them with your finger.
if yes you need more power at the coils from the motor.
if not you wired it up in the wrong direction.
change the wiring and test it in single step mode

mfg milz
Xeon x5650@4ghz
Cam : USB2 CCD 1024x768 / USB3 1280x900
Laser : LC532-5-3-F(16x65) Focusable Green
Projector Acer X110P / Acer K132
dControl one David control box + Turntable + automatic texture lights
mooooom bathroom!!!!!!
milz

Postby Kitamo » Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:21 pm

Hi.

I just power up my stepper from motor shield board (by EXT_PWR wit ha DC power supply) and I realize that coils was wrong connected.
It was taken from old printer and i think on printer motherboard it was connected in other way that I expected - pairs 1 2 0 2 1
I was thinking it was 1 1 0 2 2.
Anyway now its ok, my stepper work very good in SINGLE, DOUBLE and INTERLEAVE mode, when i try with MICROSTEP its running but make high frequency noise so I will stay in single step mode i think.
I got some gears so I can use them to make rotation move little more smooth.
Oryginaly i found specs that he is powered by 9V, but he was getting to hot adter 2 minutes of work, So i decrased currency to 4,5V and now he is still working very good and isn't so hot like before.
Now i need to write some simple program move laser up down and what I want but this should be more easy for me i think ;)
I try with other stepper from printer but my motor shield was getting a little to hot so i think it can be over 0.6mA but anyway i got stepper to move my laser :)

Can someone tell me what step parameter is better SINGLE, INTERLEAVE , MICROSTEP ?
I dont see the difference between modes :roll:
Kitamo

Postby milz » Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:39 pm

hi

the highfrequeny sound with microstep is ok.
its cause the motor do much more steps with very small
movments.
i suggest Microstep is the best solution.
if you have problems with microstep open the
afmotor.ccp (arduino-0018\libraries\AFMotor) and change
#define MICROSTEPS 16 // 8, 16 & 32 are popular
to
#define MICROSTEPS 8 // 8, 16 & 32 are popular

mfg milz
Xeon x5650@4ghz
Cam : USB2 CCD 1024x768 / USB3 1280x900
Laser : LC532-5-3-F(16x65) Focusable Green
Projector Acer X110P / Acer K132
dControl one David control box + Turntable + automatic texture lights
mooooom bathroom!!!!!!
milz

Postby Kitamo » Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:47 pm

Big thx for answer, its sounds like it will work with my stepper :)

I dont have detailed info about my stepper

AF_Stepper motor(48, 2);

with that command i need to declare many many steps per revolution the motor has. But I dont know that, so i can set this value like in that example and it won't have negative affect on stepper work ?
As i saw in code its only a declaration used by motor.setSpeed(x) command to set a rotation speed of a stepper so i dont think if its no matter if this value isn't not exactly what it should by for that stepper. I just dont put so much if i'm not sure and 48 steps its about 7.5 degree and its i think most popular in steppers from printers :)
Kitamo

Return to Hardware