Dear DAVID Community,

In 2016, DAVID and this forum have been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum has been read-only since then, and will be switched off by then end of 2019.

To everyone who has contributed here, we thank you for all your work and for the constructive, helpful and friendly atmosphere you have created!
Please continue to discuss on the HP Support Forums.

Automation: Need a point in the right direction

Re: Automation: Need a point in the right direction

Postby WalterMo » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:20 pm

Your chosen stepping motor has a rather low impedance, that means the motor current must be higher and the voltage lower.
Therefore I would use a stronger motor driver board, e.g. the Pololu:
http://www.watterott.com/index.php?page ... &info=1418

One month ago I have posted an application of it to an Arduino:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2421&p=15691&hili

Additionally I would glue a heatsink onto the IC A4983.

Regarding the laser holder to the gear's shaft: Do you not know someone with a lathe in the basement? :wink:
WalterMo

Postby Zeppelin1007 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:38 am

Unfortunately, i do not know anyone with a lathe. Though, i am at an engineering college and my other guitarist whos about 100miles away is a mechanical engineer. So i wouldn't be surprised if i could get someone to turn me something here.

So i take it since using such a high current motor, and ending up having to use that board, i should just go with using 2 driver boards? one for laser motor one for turntable. Ill probably end up ordering everything tonight/tomorrow. Backing it down to around 2amps

Thanks again everyone! I get this up and running im sure i'll come up with something to give back to the david community
Zeppelin1007

Postby Zeppelin1007 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:29 am

Alright guys well its been almost a month but i havent let this one die!

Most of my parts have arrived! Even better, my guitarist and friend, who's also a ME student, milled me out a block of aluminum to go right on my phidget motor. Dug out an unused 9V 16Amp PSU i got from a previous job as well as some LCDs.

I have one question before i start playing with everything. I have the Allegro A4983 board with current limiting. Thats fantastic, especially because my motor runs at 3V@2.5A..I've read the data sheet on current limiting, but i'm a bit confused on the process of safely setting it up.

It says attach a motor in Full Step mode, with no timing. Ok, so one, i assume, connect the motor, and don't tell it to turn?

It says the current will be 70% of what it should be, so ok, meter in series with motor and allegro. Take reading, multiply by 0.7, and i get my number of where its currently at. Be it that i have this beefy 9V supply, id prefer to run the motors at 9V. Am i correct so far on the process? The part im lost at, is, it says the limit is dependent on what Vdd equals. So do i have to do any math there? or is it simply the fact that if Vdd=5V, versus Vdd=3.5v, i'll simply get different current readings? I just wanna make sure i do this right and not blow it

and yes, i have a heatsink ready to go on this thing.

Thanks guys! Pics will be coming in a new thread soon.

Thanks guys!
Zeppelin1007

Previous

Return to Hardware