Dear DAVID Community,

As you are probably aware, the entire DAVID company, team and product range has been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum is now read-only. Relevant content has been migrated to HP and merged into HP's Support Forums on November 1, 2016.

To start new discussions for 3D Scanning, please register and post your new topic at the HP Support Forums

computer hardware needs

computer hardware needs

Postby maarten » Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:31 pm

Hi everyone,
I am looking for buying a new laptop,
Are there any specifications that are important for working with David and shapefusion?
Especially the graphic card?

Groet,
Maarten
maarten

Re: computer hardware needs

Postby milz » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:05 pm

hi

You need much ram best 8 Gb or more. It will work with less but more is better -)

mfg milz
Xeon x5650@4ghz
Cam : USB2 CCD 1024x768 / USB3 1280x900
Laser : LC532-5-3-F(16x65) Focusable Green
Projector Acer X110P / Acer K132
dControl one David control box + Turntable + automatic texture lights
mooooom bathroom!!!!!!
milz

Postby WalterMo » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:52 pm

Hi,
And instead of a „slow“ quad-core processor, better buy a fast dual-core one. Otherwise the other two are twiddling their thumbs and laugh at the heavy workers during the fusion of the scans. :D

Walter
WalterMo

Postby Oneinwhite » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:21 pm

As Walter and Miltz have said the most important thing for shapefusion is ram and cpu, gpu is less important!

That said if you want a laptop you'll be hard pressed to find one with 8 gig of ram as many laptops have but 2 dimms and 4 gig sticks of ram are expensive! All depends on your price range really, if you've got a lot of money could try looking for a Work station, try something like the Dell Precision line and of course Intel refreshed its processors with Sandy Bridge at CES last few weeks so make sure its a laptop with one of the new processors! there faster and more powerful then anything else at the moment, though quite a bit more expensive then AMD's offerings.

I could offer more specific advice but really your looking for a laptop that would be good at high quality photo-editing or data crunching as that'll be easier to find information on then David specifically. An important thing to remember as well is the screen panel of the monitor, most laptop monitors have pretty shitty panels in with fairly low resolution, to see the things that come out of david clearly a high pixel density is useful! Or use an external moinitor with 1920x1080 as there pretty cheap these days, also look at the technology of the screen, typical panels have quite a poor colour gamut which isn't really a problem for David but generally i find an IPS panel much prettier!

Hope any of that is useful :)
Oneinwhite

Postby Sven » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:51 pm

I'd like to add: If you have the choice, you should buy one with NVIDIA gpu, not ATI. ATI sometimes make problems in DAVID's 3D Window, depending on driver version etc.
I think for the 32-bit version of DAVID, 4 GB of RAM are enough. 64-bit is yet to come.
Sven
Sven
DAVID Developer

Postby maarten » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:04 pm

thanks for all the advise!
Maarten
maarten

Postby Kitamo » Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:06 pm

Additional with NVIDIA card u can USE CUDA to render images after You end all what you want.
Many rendering softwares use CUDA already.
But not all laptops have enough powered GPUs to get good performance.

For 32bit system 4GB is enough its true (coz 32bit operating system can adress only 3 -3,5gb ram max - it depend on motherboard) but for now you can choose 64bit OS wich will give little more ram even with 32bit david ( remember that Windows 7 to run some ram too and its 700-1gb for a start without any tweaks).
There was a way to force OS to use upper adress of memory allocation, and free parts with lower adress. It gave 32bit programs more space to allocate RAM, but i was testing it long time ago on first 64bit program , dunno mby now windows 7 do this automatic. Try to get laptop with 64 bit OS.
Kitamo

Return to Hardware