Dear DAVID Community,

As you are probably aware, the entire DAVID company, team and product range has been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum is now read-only. Relevant content has been migrated to HP and merged into HP's Support Forums on November 1, 2016.

To start new discussions for 3D Scanning, please register and post your new topic at the HP Support Forums

3d printer

3d printer

Postby johnrpm » Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:38 pm

This is just a thought, I have done a little work on building a 3d printer using clay or gypsum powder, we could then build the parts we scan, what do you all think????, it could be an open source machine. not sure about patents etc.
johnrpm

3d printer

Postby tera-scopy » Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:48 pm

That sounds fascinating!

I haven't searched the patents, but open source and sharing knowledge is good idea.

Although some commercial models of 3d-printers are available, open source on hardware-level is still very welcome.

Open source on hardware-level? does that even exist yet? or have we just invented it?

If you want to take a look what others have invented then go to
http://patft.uspto.gov/

But be warned, there is huge amounts of interesting stuff.

It may take some time to find what you are looking for, but you just might get some ideas (and maybe inspiration too) from there. I've got stuck there many times.
tera-scopy

Postby johnrpm » Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:26 am

There are a few 3d machines, sla,fdm,sls,3dp, etc, reprep is an open source type project using fdm, the 3dp system by zcorp is fast and one of the cheapest because the materials are cheap, my thoughts were to use standard inkjet printer on a carriage above powder bed, I have dismantled many printers and found that the HP printer construction lends itself to adaption, I have written some software to move the motors through Velleman usb board, but a lot of effort is needed to build and refine it.
If the system used standard of the shelf components, people like us could afford it, with David and a 3d printer a whole world of 3D becomes available.

P.S Maybe this is of topic for David forum and would offend, if so sorry.
johnrpm

Postby Tobias » Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:32 am

Good morning,

nice idea. this reminds me of an report i read few weeks ago, in "Technology Review". They wrote about a 3D printer to assemble themselves. This is called Fab@home, but you need "some" bucks, i think 3000$. however it sounds very interesting, you can build models with differnet materials, for example chocolate...

more informations: http://fabathome.org/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

or google: Fab@home

nice day
Tobias

Re: 3d printer

Postby stevlena » Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:33 am

What type of suede fabric could I use to make inkjet printer fabric sheets out of? I would like to make suede inkjet printer fabric sheets, so that I can print images on it for a pillow I want to create.

Postby ronmac » Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:42 am

I know I'm replying to a very old post, but have just finished building my own version of the RepRap extruder (RepRap.org), attached it to my DIY CNC plotter and printed in ABS plastic part of a head I scanned using the Polhemus Scorpion scanner I had access to a while back. Check out
http://invivia.wordpress.com/2009/07/19 ... periments/
(the Extrusion Machine section is near the end of the post)...
I just began trying the David software and can hardly wait for the hardware to arrive so I can continue capturing and printing..
ronmac

Postby pottersfriend » Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:58 am

I love this idea. I have had the same idea, but I don't have enough know how to actually do it so it has just remained an idea. I like the idea of a DIY open source 3d printer that's relatively affordable. I had the idea to combine components from an old HP DesignJet plotter (for x, y movement) and a Dewalt benchtop planer (for z movement). The biggest problem is the medium for deposition. It would be nice to be able to use the existing plotter ink cartridges if possible. I like your the idea of gypsum or clay. I was trying to think of things would allow the ability to deposit very thin layers but could solidify relatively quickly. Possibly using a dual cartridge system it would be possible to deposit one layer of "neutral" type component (clay/gypsum?) then second cartridge would deposit a "catalyst" to hard the first material. Then there is the programming of course.

Just throwing out ideas since I don't really have the ability to create something like this on my own. I'd love to be involved, but doubt I can be of any help (probably just ideas).

Darin
pottersfriend

Postby treleau » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:32 pm

Hello

If it's interest you ,I commenced a 3d printer project but I don't have enough technical competence for more progress.
You can see a presentation there : http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.ListAll&friendId=510763659

Treleau
Attachments
coupe finie2.jpg
treleau

Postby SAVstudio » Mon May 03, 2010 3:54 am

There are many solutions for every problem, so I suppose each person has to find the solution that fits his needs the best. I found my prototyping solution in a simple (albeit slow) method of cutting slices of adhesive backed sheet material and stacking them. The method is packaged and sold (http://www.boxford.co.uk/boxford/docs/products/rapid.htm) for a substantial sum of money. I purchased a second-hand vinyl cutter and use existing functions in most CAD programs to make pretty decent small models.

Below is my latest 'build', the skull that I recently scanned. The images are of the piece straight from the prototyping process. Once I clean up the surface it will have a more 'finished' look.

I hope that might be helpful to someone.

Steve
Attachments
Rough Prototype 01 (comp 40) SMALL.jpg
Rough Prototype 04 (comp 40) SMALL.jpg
Rough Prototype detail (comp 40) SMALL.jpg
Focusable green laser
Mechanical spring-loaded (timer) laser movement
Logitech Pro9000 webcam
SAVstudio

Postby SAVstudio » Thu May 06, 2010 4:57 am

Sections cut from paper are also being used by

http://www.mcortechnologies.com/

of course, entirely automated... and expensive.
Focusable green laser
Mechanical spring-loaded (timer) laser movement
Logitech Pro9000 webcam
SAVstudio

Return to Hardware