Dear DAVID Community,

In 2016, DAVID and this forum have been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum has been read-only since then, and will be switched off by the end of 2019.

To everyone who has contributed here, we thank you for all your work and for the constructive, helpful and friendly atmosphere you have created!
Please continue to discuss on the HP Support Forums.

steppr motor question

steppr motor question

Postby funtasma » Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:39 pm

I bought the wrong motor. Instead of a bipolar I baught a six wired unipolar motor. I know I can simply use the motor by forgetting about the middle cable of each phase to cmbine the two circuits of the phase to one. But when I do this the Ohm value doubles according to what I meassured (from 5.5 to 11).

Now my question: Does also the required Ampere double from 1.2A to 2.4A? This would be important to know since I don't want to grill my controller. 8)

-Benjamin-
funtasma

Re: steppr motor question

Postby WalterMo » Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:22 pm

You bought the right motor. This one is more universal. :idea:
The current does not double, it will be halved. 0.6A per coil is sufficient to drive a gear and to pan a laser.

Your motor driver will be glad because it will not be heated up so much. :)

Walter

Edit: The oddity is: The current is halved, but the power of the motor shaft is the same. Important for the power of the motor (or a relay) is the product of current and number of turns of the coil.

In the bipolar mode the whole coil (2 x ½) is always used. The current is flowing alternating in both directions.
In the unipolar mode only the ½ coils are alternating used by a current which doesn't change its direction.
WalterMo

Re: steppr motor question

Postby funtasma » Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:31 pm

Thanks Walter, then I can start building!!
-Benjamin-
funtasma

Return to Hardware