Dear DAVID Community,

In 2016, DAVID and this forum have been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum has been read-only since then, and will be switched off by the end of 2019.

To everyone who has contributed here, we thank you for all your work and for the constructive, helpful and friendly atmosphere you have created!
Please continue to discuss on the HP Support Forums.

Worm gear advice

Worm gear advice

Postby pottersfriend » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:15 pm

I am looking into improving my motorized setup and wondering if anyone might be able to give me some advice on what worm gears might be a good option for me. I have found two sets that I'm interested in (0.5 module & 0.4 module), but wondering what others think. Anything I might be missing as far as appropriate specifications. I am ultimately looking for the smallest set possible with a 50:1 ratio. I'm leaning towards buying the .4 module set. Any info/help is greatly appreciated.

0.4 module set
Worm Wheel, Pin Hub - 0,4 module #KBB-E1-2
Material: Bronze QQ-B-637, Alloy 464 Right Hand, Quality 10/DIN 7 For Split Hub and SH to p/n
Bore: 5,0
Hub Diameter: 10,0
Pitch Diameter: 20,00
Thread Single
Teeth: 50
Worm - Ground Thread, 0,4 module #KCS-C1-2
Right Hand, Quality 10 / Din 7 Material: 303 Stainless Steel
Thread Single: 14-1/2 deg. PA

0.5 module set
Worm Wheel, Pin Hub - 0,5 module #KBB-F1-3
Material: Bronze QQ-B-637, Alloy 464 Right Hand, Quality 10/DIN 7 For Split Hub and SH to p/n
Pitch Diameter: 25,0
Thread Single
Teeth: 50
Worm - Ground Thread, 0,5 Module #KCS-D1-2
Right Hand, Quality 10 / Din 7 Material: 303 Stainless Steel
Hub Diameter: 5,0
Thread Single: 14-1/2 deg. PA

These were rather expensive so if anyone knows of a good source in the US which seems affordable that would be great. I just can't seem to find many things here in the US. I guess everything we buy here is made overseas anymore. At least anything I can afford. These were from a company called Nordex. I'm sure these are probably manufactured overseas too, so if I can find something more affordable I'd go that route, even though Nordex seems to have very good customer service.

Thanks again,
Darin
pottersfriend

Re: Worm gear advice

Postby RAYA » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:44 pm

Hi

Plastic Worm gear is not so bad ,they have low backlash and low noise also ,you can find them in car glass snow wiper ,but it is better to add second step gear reducer to increase you gear reducer to about 300 .

Ray
RAYA

Return to Hardware