[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4807: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3904)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4809: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3904)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4810: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3904)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4811: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3904)
DAVID-Laserscanner Forum • View topic - Turntable controlled by Arduino
Dear DAVID Community,

In 2016, DAVID and this forum have been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum has been read-only since then, and will be switched off by then end of 2019.

To everyone who has contributed here, we thank you for all your work and for the constructive, helpful and friendly atmosphere you have created!
Please continue to discuss on the HP Support Forums.

Turntable controlled by Arduino

Turntable controlled by Arduino

Postby WalterMo » Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:48 am

By means of the Arduino microcontroller it's easy to build up a PC independent device for a turntable.

Greg has shown how to control a turntable from the PC via an USB / RS232 adaptor:
viewtopic.php?p=7979#p7979

The box in the foreground of the photo has an Arduino Duemilanove inside. Attached is a LED illuminated LCD display with 8x2 characters. Type AV0820 from Anag Vision. This display needs in its 4 bit mode six data lines from the Arduino.
The other digital ports of the Arduino are used as follows:

Inputs:
Pushbuttons for „Step“ and „Next position“.
Alteration switch for „Rotation direction“.

Outputs:
LED for „Clock“.
Clock signal to motor driver.
Rotation direction signal to motor driver.

The Arduino has an available memory of 30720 bytes. But the small program inside needs only 4922 of it.

Walter

Edit 1: Have you noticed that I have labeled the toggle switch with two identical arrows? :oops:
Edit 2: In the meantime I have continued this project on another thread:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2383
Attachments
Drehtisch_Arduino.jpg
Turntable setup for Christmas
WalterMo

Re: Turntable controlled by Arduino

Postby MagWeb » Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:53 pm

Wow Walter,

realy perfect standalone solution! And with display feedback :shock: - I never stepped into that - How many pins do you need to feed the display?

Compliments

Gunter
MagWeb

Postby WalterMo » Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:08 pm

Hi Gunter,

This kind of display (HD44780 compatible) can be driven in 8- or 4-bit mode. The 8-bit mode is of course faster but needs 4 additional lines.
Therefore I used the 4-bit mode for the data transfer. Two additional lines for „Enable Signal“ and „Function Select“ are also necessary.

But if it will become tight with the number of input pins at the Arduino, we can also use the six analog input ports for digital signals.

Walter

P.S.: Have just ordered a white-blue LCD display with two rows à 20 characters at Pollin for „only“ 3.95 €.
WalterMo

Postby Khalid Khattak » Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:07 am

Hi Walter thats a great Solution for small object and your controller looks like a proffessional one:)..Thanks for sharing... I am awaiting the work carried out by Greg on his turntable..His is completly automated...

Some of you genius can make a Laser scanning company;) What a idea :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Best Regards
PC: Dell Inspiron i3, 2.27GHz,4GB RAM,64 bit windows 7
CAMERA:
David CCD Mono USB
LASER:
David 5mW Green line laser
PROJECTOR:
3D LED Mini Projector 250lumens, Native 1024x600
[b]http://free3dscans.blogspot.com/
Khalid Khattak

Postby WalterMo » Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:03 pm

Hi,
I thought a good test for the Arduino-controlled turntable would be to scan Santa Claus. Specially in the pre-Christmas period. It was done by eight scans à 45°. And to look under the coat of Santa is forbidden anyway. :wink:

Walter

WalterMo

Postby WalterMo » Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:13 am

Hi,
Just making some experiments with the Arduino and some other components like the new LCD display.
What is more suitable as to fill the 2 x 20 characters with the shown message to all members of the DAVID forum to Christmas.

Walter

Edit: Now we have more than 1000 members! I remember that I was the hundredth.
Attachments
Christmas setup.jpg
WalterMo

Postby Khalid Khattak » Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:33 pm

Weldone Walter:)
and thanks for compliments, Merry Christmas and Happy New year to you too ..
PC: Dell Inspiron i3, 2.27GHz,4GB RAM,64 bit windows 7
CAMERA:
David CCD Mono USB
LASER:
David 5mW Green line laser
PROJECTOR:
3D LED Mini Projector 250lumens, Native 1024x600
[b]http://free3dscans.blogspot.com/
Khalid Khattak

Postby Bongobat » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:13 am

Hi Walter,

I have been thinking of turntables again and have been looking over your work here. Very nice :!:
I see in the picture of your disassembled unit that your stepper has what looks like an optical encoder attached to the shaft. What is this for?

Greg
DealExtreme red line laser, Microsoft Lifecam HD-5000
Bongobat

Postby WalterMo » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:24 pm

Hi Greg,
This optical encoder and its photointerrupter came with the stepper motor as an used unit from Pollin. I needed the photointerrupter to detect the rotation of the Opel:
viewtopic.php?p=8198#p8198

But up to now I haven't worked with this encoder.

Walter

Edit: Do you know the hexadecimal code for the darker blue fields of this forum sides? If I remember well, you had found it for the light blue.
WalterMo

Return to Hardware