Dear DAVID Community,

In 2016, DAVID and this forum have been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum has been read-only since then, and will be switched off by the end of 2019.

To everyone who has contributed here, we thank you for all your work and for the constructive, helpful and friendly atmosphere you have created!
Please continue to discuss on the HP Support Forums.

making Arduino Duemilanove

Re: making Arduino Duemilanove

Postby Bongobat » Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:30 pm

Hi, Ray,

RAYA wrote:Seems that Duino board has finished (not checked now) ,thank you ,but I want to know did you install CRS capacitor a bit up than crystal also ? is it for 3.3 volt only ?

Im not sure I understand your question. I do install the 0.1 uF ceramic capacitor for the CRS capacitor just as the schematic calls for. This is used by the software to automatically reset the arduino using the DTR signal. It Works fine for me so far. For the crystals I use the 22pF caps also just like what is called for. As long as you use 1uF or larger caps for the max232 charge caps you should be fine.

Greg
DealExtreme red line laser, Microsoft Lifecam HD-5000
Bongobat

Postby RAYA » Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:44 pm

hi Greg

Do you used any programmer to load bootloader in Atmega8 or this board need not to any programmer ?

I didn`t find premium usb/rs232 cable so I am using serial cable to connect the board to computer directly.

Ray
RAYA

Postby Bongobat » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:46 pm

Hi Ray,

You will have to upload the bootloader unless you have an already preprogrammed chip. I use the parallel programmer that you can make yourself: http://arduino.cc/en/Hacking/ParallelPr ... Programmer to burn you simply hook it up and power on your board then choose your board in the arduino software and then choose burn bootloader w/ Parallel Programmer. You may have to install giveio as explained on the site.

You only need to burn the booloader once then you can upload sketches with rs232 port.

Greg
Bongobat

Postby RAYA » Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:03 pm

Hi Greg

Thank you ,If I can use it with serial rs232 cable ,seems this make it very cheap board and easy to make also.

Ray
RAYA

Postby Bongobat » Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:23 am

Hi Ray,

Yes it is cheap and fun to make :D . For others that do not have access to PCB making it can be breadboarded easily too. Using an RS232 cable should be no problem either. I suggest before you try to upload a complicated scanner sketch make sure you get the example program "blink" to work first. :wink: It is always so gratifying getting that LED to blink. Please continue to document your work here RAYA I think others can benefit.

Greg
Bongobat

Postby RAYA » Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:26 pm

Hi Greg

Offcourse ,you are right ,I`ll keep this work up, as I started new driver at :

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=857&start=105

Greg ,I think DAVID need three stepper motor driver ,one for rotation motion ,one for linear motion and final one is for rotation table ,all can be run by an Arduino board and a mix of rotation/linear motion mechanical system ,may some feature can be added to driver such DC motor speed control ,servo control ,lighting on/off ,..........., so need to others ideas also.

Ray
RAYA

Postby RAYA » Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:56 pm

Hi

Duino pcb board has many ungrounded point (lived idle) ,need to find a solution for it .

Ray
RAYA

Postby Bongobat » Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:06 am

Hi Ray,
RAYA wrote:Duino pcb board has many ungrounded point (lived idle) ,need to find a solution for it .

Is the board not working? Does it not match with schematic?

Maybe you should start off making it on a breadboard: http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/tutorials.php?tc=1 Great sparkfun tutorial on how to breadboard a serial arduino. Also I attached an atmega8 to ardunio pinout diagram.

Hope this helped,
Greg
Attachments
Atmega168PinMap2.png
Atmega to arduino pin names
Bongobat

Postby RAYA » Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:02 pm

Hi Greg

Pcb board match schematic ,except that grounded point (earth points) not connected to ground ,if the designer intended to use a grounded plane (sheet metal ) that should be mentioned somewhere.

As I understand from board ,the desinger limited himself in two layer (top and down layer) ,because of easier make and put third layer (ground layer ) for user option .

ungrounded part : reset switch ,led,7805 ,capacitor,...

ray
RAYA

Postby RAYA » Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:14 pm

Hi Greg

With vista 64 bit ultimate ,I get "failed to open parallel port " error in Arduino 0017 for bootloading through parallel port ,any solution ?

Ray
RAYA

Postby Bongobat » Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:53 pm

Hi Ray,

Did you try installing giveio? http://web.mit.edu/6.115/www/miscfiles/giveio.zip As it says on the instructions page here: http://www.arduino.cc/en/Hacking/ParallelProgrammer

Im still on XP so I dont know but maybe giveio doesnt work with vista :( if not you could program with a computer running a compatable OS like XP and bu the bootloader. If you want to make more arduinos you could use your bootloaded chip to burn the others with bootcloner:
http://www.arduino.cc/playground/BootCloner/BootCloner

Greg
Bongobat

Postby RAYA » Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:15 pm

Hi Greg

I have installed giveio ,but it seems doesn`t work on vista 64 ultimate ,I have another system which has windows 7 32 bit ,i`ll try with it ,but may need to make a good programmer for bootloading also (usb) .

Ray
RAYA

Postby RAYA » Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:23 am

Hi Greg

Whould you tell me the full model number of your ATMAGA8 ? seems that my Atmega8l-8pu is not conpatible with board.

Ray
RAYA

Postby Bongobat » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:50 am

Hi Ray,

Mine are marked ATMEGA8-16PU
I found this about your chip:
http://www.mouser.com/search/ProductDet ... MEGA8L-8PU

Does not look compatible. One problem is the maximum clock speed is only 8 MHz

Greg
Bongobat

Postby RAYA » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:49 pm

Hi Greg

Thank you ,I found Atmega8-16pu ,but the main problem which I have is to redesign the pcb board ,because it has some improper or notfully doneable pcb (brd),all grounded points are free from any grounding connection.

Ray
RAYA

PreviousNext

Return to Hardware