Dear DAVID Community,

As you are probably aware, the entire DAVID company, team and product range has been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum is now read-only. Relevant content has been migrated to HP and merged into HP's Support Forums on November 1, 2016.

To start new discussions for 3D Scanning, please register and post your new topic at the HP Support Forums

HD using Blackmagic card

HD using Blackmagic card

Postby superrune » Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:37 pm

Hi!

I ordered a David starter kit a couple of days ago and are looking forward to receiving it.

I was thinking of buying a Blackmagic HD capture card, and connect my camcorder through it. It has a larger imager chip than the webcam, which should result in less noise. Has anybody tried a configuration like that?

Here's some info on the Blackmagic card:
http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/intensity/

I have no idea if David supports these kinds of cards, so it would me nice to hear from someone before I make the purchase...

Rune
www.superrune.com
superrune

Re: HD using Blackmagic card

Postby Ben4096 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:48 pm

Hi,

Why don't you just shoot your videos with your camcorder, transfert all to your pc and process with David (video grabber mode) ?
It sounds that the only benefit to use a black magic is you won't have to transfert your video to your pc.
What camcorder do you plan to use ? I assume it can handle progressive mode, is at least HDready and you can get over autoexposure mode.
If not it would sound better to buy a logitech 9000 pro instead of capture card.

Anyway, I'm a newb and it's just my opinion.

ben
http://paranoidpuppets.com/
Ben4096

Postby RAYA » Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:15 pm

Hi Rune

Wellcome to DAVID forum

DAVID can support any capture card which has windows driver (wdm),and with comparing camcorder with webcam you can achieve more frame per second with camcoder which increase scanning speed and scanning quality.

I think You are first one who wants to check HDMI capture card with camcorder.

Ray
RAYA

Postby superrune » Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:35 pm

Yes, I am planning on testing the Webcam first, but I am very sceptical to something with such a small imaging chip. The amount of grain must be huge in that thing, and even though my handycam isn't fantastic, it's bound to be better than the Logitech!

The camera is a Samsung HMX20C , it should be progressive and it has a resolution of 1440 (upscaled to 1920). The best thing is that it runs in 25fps, which should speed up the interactivity when scanning. At least that's what I hope, I'm very anxious to see how this David thing works when I get it.

I'm not really interesting in recording and then transferring, the less steps I can get away with - the better. If I want to do a recording, I'd probably be better off doing it with a Canon 5D or another large-chipped DSLR.

I'm not sure if the Blackmagic has a WDM driver, but I'd be happy to purchase a card and test it out.
www.superrune.com
superrune

Postby funtasma » Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:31 am

Did you test it or another solution? I would be extremely interested in reading in HDMI data directly.
funtasma

Postby superrune » Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:06 pm

I got my starter kit yesterday, and I am expecting the BlackMagic card to arrive sometime next week. I will report back as soon as I have tested it!
www.superrune.com
superrune

Postby a.terenzi » Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:38 am

I experimented David laserscanner some times ago and now I was looking for information about the BlackMagic card in order to use full HD camcoders as webcams. I finally found this interesting thread and I'd like to post what I gathered so far.

I asked BlackMagic's support team about the usage of their Intensity Pro card and in particular if it comes with a WDM driver, but they told me that there is no WDM driver available. On the other hand, they said that their drivers install a DirectShow filter (I am not an expert but, as far as I know, this does not imply that there is also a WDM driver under the hood...). Then I asked if it was possible to use for example AMCAP with their card and they told me that they have news about some of their clients that are using it with AMCAP as well.

So, I guess that it may or may not work...and I look forwar to reading about superrune's tries ;)
a.terenzi

Postby superrune » Sat Oct 24, 2009 3:09 pm

A small update:

The Blackmagic Intensity Pro seems to be working fine with David, it appears in the capture source list, and there is video running inside David. But I cannot increase the resolution to anything above SD (768x576 in PAL), anything above that just gives me an empty video source. I've been in touch with Blackmagic support, and I hope to have an answer from them soon. That also goes for other software the Blackmagic is supposed to work with, so this is not an issue with David. There might be a driver problem, or an issue with my camera/capture card combination.

Anyway, when I output video from the camera, I get everything that's on the camera screen - such as the remaining battery, remaining memory etc. If I cannnot remove that as well, I might not be able to capture anything... I'm going to check with friends, and see if anyone has another make of HD camcorder I can try...
www.superrune.com
superrune

Postby superrune » Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:07 pm

I got full HD resolution working now in David, and it looks stunning! It's such a massive improvement over the webcamera, it isn't even funny. I get 13-15 frames per seconds in David, which isn't too bad either. Now I need to figure out how to remove the LCD overlay from the output, and I am ready to try a scan.
www.superrune.com
superrune

Postby RAYA » Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:42 pm

Hi
How did you solve the problem ?

Ray
RAYA

Postby superrune » Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:17 am

Reinstalling the drivers and checking the cables. Not sure what was the original problem, it might just be that my machine needed a couple of restarts while uninstalling/installing.
www.superrune.com
superrune

Postby RAYA » Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:33 pm

Hi

Did you exprienced how long cable you can use with card ?

Ray
RAYA

Postby superrune » Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:58 pm

I got a 2m cable, and that seems to be working fine. There most have been a problem with a loose connection or something on the other cable, the length per se shouldn't mean anything as long as they're not extremely long.
www.superrune.com
superrune

Postby funtasma » Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:01 pm

How does it work with the overlay? Did you find a solution or do you scan with that overlay?

Benjamin
funtasma

Postby superrune » Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:33 pm

I got some issues getting a smooth laser movement, my Lego rig doesn't like the slow movements that the laser requires. I thought I'd solve the laser issues first - since it's no point in scanning otherwise.
www.superrune.com
superrune

Next

Return to Hardware