Dear DAVID Community,

As you are probably aware, the entire DAVID company, team and product range has been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum is now read-only. Relevant content has been migrated to HP and merged into HP's Support Forums on November 1, 2016.

To start new discussions for 3D Scanning, please register and post your new topic at the HP Support Forums

Is it possible to directly load mesh data at Meshlab

Is it possible to directly load mesh data at Meshlab

Postby cylee » Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:08 pm

Hi,

I tried to directly load mesh data from david 4 with SDK to 3rd party (in my case, Meshlab). Indirectly, I have saved OBJ file on my HDD then loaded OBJ file at Meshlab, however, it is too slow because of over 100 MB of OBJ file.

==========================================================
* Source code

string filename = "C:\\Temp\\scan.obj";

david::Client davidSDK;
davidSDK.Connect();

davidSDK.sls().Scan();
davidSDK.sls().ExportMesh(filename); // <= Save at HDD

importMeshWithLayerManagement(Qfilename); // <= Load OBJ file at Meshlab

==========================================================

Does anyone have experience with directly loading OBJ files to 3rd party program? Or, is it reduce the size of the scan mesh data?

Thank you
cylee

Re: Is it possible to directly load mesh data at Meshlab

Postby micr0 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:23 pm

You can reduce the mesh density in David before export by right clicking on the mesh you want to export in the list window. You then choose the "reduce mesh density option". The percentages are the sizes you want to reduce the mesh density to. David does a pretty good job of decimation but outside of the setting target density percentage, you have no control over how David does it.

Either that or buy a faster computer. :D
µ
micr0

Postby cylee » Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:40 pm

micr0 wrote:You can reduce the mesh density in David before export by right clicking on the mesh you want to export in the list window. You then choose the "reduce mesh density option". The percentages are the sizes you want to reduce the mesh density to. David does a pretty good job of decimation but outside of the setting target density percentage, you have no control over how David does it.

Oh, you gave me one of the solution. Thank you for reply micr0 :D

Is there another solution that share the mesh data directly to Meshlab by using SDK?
cylee

Postby cylee » Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:19 am

micr0 wrote:You can reduce the mesh density in David before export by right clicking on the mesh you want to export in the list window. You then choose the "reduce mesh density option". The percentages are the sizes you want to reduce the mesh density to. David does a pretty good job of decimation but outside of the setting target density percentage, you have no control over how David does it.

davidSL.png
scan page

I could't find the "reduce mesh density option" in DAVID 4 Enterprise (latest version v4.5.2). Would you explain me the option where it is.
cylee

Postby drndadoo » Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:13 pm

It is in the Shapefusion menu, right click on the scan in the list of scans and choose "reduce mesh density"
Here is the link for the SDK API reference guide:
http://docs.david-3d.com/sdk/en/classda ... 3b2d97180a
drndadoo
DAVID Support

Return to Software