Dear DAVID Community,

As you are probably aware, the entire DAVID company, team and product range has been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum is now read-only. Relevant content has been migrated to HP and merged into HP's Support Forums on November 1, 2016.

To start new discussions for 3D Scanning, please register and post your new topic at the HP Support Forums

" LETS SCAN " Based on david laser scanner

Re: " LETS SCAN " Based on david laser scanner

Postby qulet » Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:34 pm

Hi Narmella
I ran a scan with with "Lets Scan" My camera is canon450D take pictures with the projection patterns series of "speed" writing takes longer than the DLS. The slider "Speed reduction" does not work if it is associated with software version EOS? Do with and congestion in the program "Lets Scan"?
qulet

Postby NARMELLA » Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:23 pm

qulet wrote:Hi Narmella
I ran a scan with with "Lets Scan" My camera is canon450D take pictures with the projection patterns series of "speed" writing takes longer than the DLS. The slider "Speed reduction" does not work if it is associated with software version EOS? Do with and congestion in the program "Lets Scan"?

Hi qulet,
This release of " LETS SCAN " is free with some limitation ; as i wrote in download section .
The speed slider is available only in " Source : Live view "

Grabbing images using live view is so quick and the slider controls capturing , depending to the performance of any other systems.
But as we know this kind of cameras ( EOS series ) take high quality pictures and of course process takes more time.

The image grabber module is my favorite option and i wrote this utility to use it by having control on these kind of cameras and i put a free release to use by other users.

Have fun
NARMELLA

EDIT:
To test that how fast is your camera to grab images using live view i wrote an other utility and you can download it from here :

http://forum.david-3d.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6294&start=15#p31855
Data projector : NEC VE 281
Camera(s) : Canon eos 600D (3x)
Software : Lets scan 2.5 + David laser scanner 3.9
گشتاور صنعت تبریز
NARMELLA

Postby mr_cg » Fri Sep 04, 2015 5:19 pm

NARMELLA wrote:EDIT:
To test that how fast is your camera to grab images using live view i wrote an other utility and you can download it from here :

The fps from the live stream depends also on the captured image.
Therefore i would recommend to do the test always under the same capture conditions e.g. close the lens with the cap.

With my 600d i get about 480ms (black image) on Win10_x64.
Thanks for the tools ... really very useful. Really great work!!!

BTW ... in LETS SCAN i can only select "Taking Photo" as source. How can i select "Live View"?
DAVID4 Pro v4.3.6 (64bit) - david-cam-3.1-m - IDS UEYE UI-1540-M - Canon EOS 600d (Canon Lens: EF-S 18-135 IS) - Acer K135i Projector + 37mm Close-Up Lens
mr_cg

Postby mr_cg » Sun Sep 06, 2015 2:59 pm

1st of all ... LETS SCAN is a really great SW.

Unfortunately i could not successfully use image grabber so far. :cry:
I read the whole thread and all the useful links from Jeff about LETS SCAN and image grabber.
After several hours spent i need to give up and ask you experts how i can get it working.
Is there anything special i need to change in the DAVID setup?

The same HW setup with live view (EOS 600d) ... Calibration and Scanning works perfectly.
When i try to calibrate with images taken from LETS SCAN it's always failing.
I was trying to use different shutter time, blend, ISO settings ... without any success.

Attached the images taken with LETS SCAN. Every help and hint to get image grabber working would be welcome.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/203 ... AMNO_1.rar

Thanks!!!!
DAVID4 Pro v4.3.6 (64bit) - david-cam-3.1-m - IDS UEYE UI-1540-M - Canon EOS 600d (Canon Lens: EF-S 18-135 IS) - Acer K135i Projector + 37mm Close-Up Lens
mr_cg

Postby NARMELLA » Sun Sep 06, 2015 3:46 pm

Hi mr_cg,

The problem is your calibration panel : panels are not flat enough .

image004.jpg

A good one :
CAL001.png

Have fun
NARMELLA
گشتاور صنعت تبریز
NARMELLA

Postby mr_cg » Sun Sep 06, 2015 8:01 pm

Hi NARMELLA,

many thanks for this. YES .... now it's working with the image grabber as well. THANKS !!!
Seems that the image grabber is much more sensitive to the quality of the calibration panel.
Now i know that i need to pay more attention to the calibration panel. :D

The scans now are more more detailed. Especially the texture quality is improving a lot.

The only problem i still have (also had with live view) is that black parts of the object are not recognized, even if the stripes are clearly visilbe on the object.
Is there any trick for scanning black surfaces??? I was already thinking about HDR imaging ... take 3 shots (+2EV, -2EV, 0EV) and post process them to HDR image (e.g. batch processing with SNS HDR).
Are there any experience with HDR images to be used for image grabber?

BTW ... any recommendation for the image resolution to be max. used for image grabber. 18M should not really bring much quality improvement i guess. Any recommendation on the image resolution in regard to e.g. projector resolution and/or object size.

Thanks again... DLS makes really lot of fun.

BR
Christian
mr_cg

Postby Curiousjeff » Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:10 pm

Hi Christian,

Could you post some screenshots of some of your scans using Letscan (screengrab is available in David).

I was getting waves with the Acer K135. I would like to see if you don't have that problem.

Thanks,
jeff
Panasonic GH4 4K with lens 12-35, Inogeni 4K to USB3 hdmi capture device, projectors: Acer K135/Acer K11/NEC V260X, Canon 60D, macro 60 mm, MagicLantern
Curiousjeff

Postby mr_cg » Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:21 pm

Hi Jeff,

unfortunately i also have this stripes and i am working to optimize this.
Acer K135i set to ECO mode.
In can be improved by longer the shutter speed (and increasing f) but i think it's still not optimal.
But higher aperture values also have other negativ side effects.
Next step would be to further decrease the power on the projector to allow longer exposure values with normal f-values (e.g. f8-f13).

BTW .... is there any possiblity to decrease the brightness of the projection patterns in LETS SCAN?
Attachments
f8.JPG
1/60sec, f8, ISO100
f13.JPG
1/20sec, f13, ISO100
f29.JPG
1/10sec, f29, ISO100
mr_cg

Postby gkrywusha » Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:54 pm

Hi Narmella,

Any news? Been little over a month. I know you said "soon". Just wondering how it's going on the Direct Show version.
gkrywusha

Postby Mike_A » Sat Oct 10, 2015 3:47 am

Hi Narmella,
Any news ?
Regards,
Mike.
532nm 5mw 3V Green line laser
Stepper-11YPG302S-LW4-R100 with 100:1 gear ratio Gearbox
Mono Camera - DMK31AU03. 1024 x 768 / 30fps
Arduino UNO/EasyDriver V4
Acer K11 Projector.
www.mikeannear.com
Perth, Western Australia.
Mike_A

Postby mr_cg » Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:50 pm

So far i also use DAVID with my DSLR (Canon EOS 600d) via USB live view.
Unfortunately the live view resolution is reduced resolution. Anyhow the result is quite ok.

I am thinking about to improve the scan quality by increasing the resolution.
Therefore i think about .... DSLR with image grabber or Industrial Mono-Cam (DAVID-3.1-M)

Is there any experience about quality comparison of DSLR with image grabber vs monochrome camera available???
Does monochrome industrial cameras exceed the scan quality with DSLR???

Every experience on this would be appreciated.
mr_cg

Postby NARMELLA » Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:35 pm

Hi,

Somewhere here in this forum , I read " Scanning is a kind of art ".
Needs to have more information about image processing . :wink:

- Reflection of light
- Projecting patterns ( Color of patterns : even Gray or black ; its brightness ; Which system do you want to use for projecting : DLP or LED and ... )
By having a fixed brightness for white area of patterns and changing the color of black area to gray ; you will have a variety of results ( I use this algorithm in LS Direct show edition )
- Which lenses do you want to use with camera to see projection ?
- Which sensors and with which coloring system ( RGB , ... ) you have to use .
- Does DLS support those parameters .

And about resolution Here you can see that you can have a very nice and detailed results only by having 0.25 MP resolution.

@ "gkrywusha" and "Mike_A"
Because of lots of projects ; It takes time to provide a free edition of this release of lets scan . :oops:

But I am working hard to put a free release of this edition for download . Sorry for delay .

Two others :

LSV01.png

LSV02.png

Have fun
NARMELLA
گشتاور صنعت تبریز
NARMELLA

Postby NARMELLA » Sun Oct 18, 2015 6:08 pm

@ "mr_cg"

I have not used David cam X .
But in this picture you will see a simple comparison between live scan and image grabber using a canon eos 600d :wink: .

CEDS01.png

Good luck
NARMELLA
گشتاور صنعت تبریز
NARMELLA

Postby mr_cg » Sun Oct 18, 2015 7:19 pm

@ NARMELLA: Really amazing and very useful. Live view is not bad but with image grabber the more details are clearly visible. Great comparision. Thanks for this !!!

I have already read the full thread but could not find recommendation for DSLR settings.

Which settings are you using on your Canon EOS 600d:
a) image resolution? JPG/RAW?
b) aperture (f)?
c) exposure time?
d) ISO 100 ... i am quite sure!
d) ambient light? ... completely dark surrounding or some additional light beside the projector?

The most important question is to find the best "aperture vs exposure time".
Is there any calculation rule for the exposure time in dependency with the projector refresh rate?

Let's scan is really excellent SW !!!!
mr_cg

Postby m0delista » Tue Oct 20, 2015 3:31 pm

m0delista

PreviousNext

Return to Software