[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4807: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3904)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4809: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3904)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4810: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3904)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4811: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3904)
DAVID-Laserscanner Forum • View topic - need OBJ to PNG converter
Dear DAVID Community,

In 2016, DAVID and this forum have been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum has been read-only since then, and will be switched off by then end of 2019.

To everyone who has contributed here, we thank you for all your work and for the constructive, helpful and friendly atmosphere you have created!
Please continue to discuss on the HP Support Forums.

need OBJ to PNG converter

need OBJ to PNG converter

Postby wynpotter » Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:01 pm

wynpotter

hi. and welcome

Postby hal » Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:16 pm

Welcome Wynpotter,
I know only two program (but not free) to convert a 3D file into a bitmap file like .png.
One is Adobe Photoshop CS3 Extended: in "open" menu you can chose a .obj file and manage it into photoshop (change view, zoom, pan, rotate, rendering styles, ...).
Second is 3D Studio Max (but I think that any athers 3d software with a rendering engine). you can import your obj file and render it as .png.
Sorry if I do a mistake, but I don't undertand your exactly problem.

If you want trasform a 3d file into a 2d file, you need a 3D tools. Blender can't export in .png? strange, I think that, if you render your object, .png can be found in bitmap output format.

bye, Mattia
hal

Postby wynpotter » Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:00 pm

There's a machine called Carve Wright that will cut shallow relief into a wooden board or hard plastic. If a 3d shape is transformed into a 2d grayscale png file the CW will cut out the relief of this image. http://www.carvewright.com/forum/index.php
I am looking at the better way to get the image into the png format. I have found several file converters but some have noise or artifacts that keep the png from being useful.
I have used the angel.obj file to test several programs and am still looking for a useable one.
If you have seen this feature in blender, please let me know where it is. I could overlook this feature from my lack of understanding of the program.
Thanks Wyndham
wynpotter

Postby leo » Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:09 pm

You can open the opject file in Rhino (www.rhino3d.com) . Then you choose rendered mode in the viewport. Use the ShowZBuffer command and you get a picture suited for bitmap heigfield. The command _ViewCaptureToFile saves the picture to file for later use. There is a demo version of rhino and you can test with it.

Leo
Attachments
DAVID-Angel.png
leo

Postby Bongobat » Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:30 pm

Im not sure if it is capable of making a height map but blender can render a png. Go into blender and either click F10 or RENDER - RENDER SETTINGS. There is a tab now called FORMAT on the bottom right side. You can change the render format there. See attatched image.

EDIT: I think you can do it in blender but it looks like a bit of work:
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Tutor ... om_a_Plane
Attachments
blender.jpg
DealExtreme red line laser, Microsoft Lifecam HD-5000
Bongobat

Postby wynpotter » Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:38 pm

Thanks I'll look into it, Wyndham
wynpotter

Return to Software