Dear DAVID Community,

As you are probably aware, the entire DAVID company, team and product range has been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum is now read-only. Relevant content has been migrated to HP and merged into HP's Support Forums on November 1, 2016.

To start new discussions for 3D Scanning, please register and post your new topic at the HP Support Forums

.obj to AutoCAD...?

.obj to AutoCAD...?

Postby Maso » Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:19 pm

Will I be able to import the .obj mesh files that I make with David software into my AutoCAD 2004...?

This is important to me.
Maso

Re: .obj to AutoCAD...?

Postby Maso » Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:11 pm

Hummm... :?

Doesn't anybody here know what to tell me...? :?:
Maso

Postby pottersfriend » Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:20 am

I think David (the full version) will save .obj, .stl, and .ply file types. I don't believe Autocad will directly import any of these type, but I'm no expert with all of Autocad's features. I think your best bet would be to use the freely available MeshLab software that would allow you to open and refine the David files then save them as a dxf. I tried a quick test using Autocad 2011 Mechanical student version and it seemed to work.
pottersfriend

Postby Maso » Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:03 pm

Thank you, Friend...!

So, the short answer is to convert my mesh into a .dwf format any way that I can, I get it now. Or, I could buy the complete David package which I may do after I have evaluated it.

Is the MeshLab software the same, or almost the same as the "Blender" program which I have for free now...? If not, where do I get a MeshLab download...?

And thank you for taking the time to experiment on my berhalf with your student version of AutoCAD 2011, that was thoughtfull.
Maso

Postby bartjuan » Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:43 pm

http://www.meshlab.org/

meshlab is awesome but a bit intimidating. It is not designed for ease of use exactly.

from meshlab you can export a DXF for autocad. You will get a 3d face for each face of your model.
if you want a solid model, that is a whole different issue.
You will need something that can convert a closed mesh to a solid. Autocad has some rudimentary ability but if your dealing with thousands of faces it will be a problem.
I use FormZ (not cheap) and it does a pretty god job, plus it exports to ACIS .sat files for Autocad.

good luck, let us know if you have more issues.

Bart
logitech pro 9000
ARDU3 based rig Using Katyb softrware
<5mw <300mA green(532nm) Apinex-#LC532-5-3F
Apinex <5mw focusable red

Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
bartjuan

Return to Software