Dear DAVID Community,

In 2016, DAVID and this forum have been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum has been read-only since then, and will be switched off by the end of 2019.

To everyone who has contributed here, we thank you for all your work and for the constructive, helpful and friendly atmosphere you have created!
Please continue to discuss on the HP Support Forums.

xNormal: free software for texture projection

xNormal: free software for texture projection

Postby Ordibble Plop » Sat Feb 23, 2008 4:00 am

A while ago there was a brief discussion about projecting textures from high-res models to lower rez or retopologised models.

While looking for something else I came across xNormal, which according to the FAQs is able to do this:

"It can also project the texture of the highpoly model into the lowpoly mesh (complete texture transfer, even with different topologies )."

http://www.xnormal.net/Faq.aspx

And it is free, even for commercial use.

Note that I haven't tried it myself - I couldn't see anywhere on their page how many polygons it can cope with - but keep my fingers crossed it may be useful in conjunction with DAVID.
Ordibble Plop

Postby Bongobat » Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:43 am

Hi Ordibble Plop,

Thank you very much for sharing your find. I think it will be very useful with David. I think I saw that it will support very high poly meshs. They talk about loading a stanford model with millions of faces. For its main purpose would require this anyway. I downloaded and installed and it loaded my model right away but now I have to figure out what Im doing. More learning ugh :shock: It has many powerful features and a large manual although abit hard to understand. I am overwhelmed at the moment but im sure ill get the hang of what I need. Only thing I dont like is its view UI. It feels like a game and I dont really like that but on the other hand it has a command line interpreter somewhere I think. So many good free things abound.

P.S Load the sample that comes with it named Vidar Rapp's African. I hope for that kind of result using david! Lots of learning ahead.

Thanks again,
Greg
DealExtreme red line laser, Microsoft Lifecam HD-5000
Bongobat

Return to Software