Dear DAVID Community,

In 2016, DAVID and this forum have been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum has been read-only since then, and will be switched off by then end of 2019.

To everyone who has contributed here, we thank you for all your work and for the constructive, helpful and friendly atmosphere you have created!
Please continue to discuss on the HP Support Forums.

Right Dimensions Artec3D vs. David

Right Dimensions Artec3D vs. David

Postby Junior23 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:06 pm

Hi,
i have a little problem with the dimensions (the scale, the mesurement) of an scanned object.

I'm using a realy rear cad softwear that need an vrml 1.0 or 2.0 but not every program can produce that specific format. vrml is not vrml at all its an very very bad implemented format that is interpreted by everyone in an other way. we had in the last 9 years very much truble with it. But that is not mainly the problem.

But at first i have made an scan with an Artec 3d Handyscan. they implemented the right format for us in the softwear from artec.
http://www.artec3d.com/de/3d_scanners/artec-mh

I have attached an stl file from this scanner who is working fine for us. we can convert this stl to .wrl in meshlab and we become the right masuerements in our cad softwear.

But here is the problem if i take an scan from david and export it from meshlab, our cad softweare crashes.
but both were exported from stl.
I think that the scale is wrong, our scanner works with meters and david works with millimeters. or not?

If i load the scan from artec and masure the heel hight i become a value about 0.091 but if i masure the david scan i become something like 162.00 (at the heel to top).
is it posible to change the dimensions of the object so we can try to load it in our softwear?

or has anybody an other idea whats wrong with the sample files?

Tahnk you martin
Attachments
SvensFoot Fusion500_01klein.zip
David
(352.95 KiB) Downloaded 216 times
BugattiItaly42.zip
Artec
(244.75 KiB) Downloaded 223 times
Junior23

Re: Right Dimensions Artec3D vs. David

Postby WalterMo » Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:00 pm

Hi,
Yes, DAVID calculate in mm.
To convert measures to meter, upload Sven's foot to MeshLab and open 'Filters'. Then goto 'Normals, Curvatures and Orientation'.
The next box opens, goto the last tool: 'Transform:Scale'.
Set X Axis, Y Axis and Z Axis to 0.001. Apply!

With MeshLab's measuring tool you can check his foot length.

Walter
Attachments
Svens Foot2.jpg
WalterMo

Re: Right Dimensions Artec3D vs. David

Postby Junior23 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:08 pm

Ok, thank you very much.
that has helped me a lot. i'm not finished but a step further.
now i have 2 qustions to complete the process.
first one can i set the coordinate 0 point in mesh lab ? so i can set the x y z axies at the heel ? or what for an program do i need ? i like freeweare :)
and the second is ,in svensfootscan there is an sokel an cube under the foot , i tried to remove it in meshlab and made an poison surface reconstruction... that worked but it generates exactly the same cube under the foot as before...
how could i do only a flat bottom under the foot ? ....

thank you martin
Attachments
SvensFoot Fusion500_01obk2l.zip
Without the bottom but open
(1.73 MiB) Downloaded 216 times
Junior23

Return to Software