Dear DAVID Community,

As you are probably aware, the entire DAVID company, team and product range has been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum is now read-only. Relevant content has been migrated to HP and merged into HP's Support Forums on November 1, 2016.

To start new discussions for 3D Scanning, please register and post your new topic at the HP Support Forums

ReconstructMe Public Beta

ReconstructMe Public Beta

Postby MagWeb » Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:31 pm

Hello,

ReconstructMe Beta was just released.
http://reconstructme.net/

ReconstructMe is a software to capture 3D data (a 360°scene) using a single MS Kinect or the Asus Xtion within a 1x1x1m volume in realtime and free ( for non commercial usage). It exports meshed surfaces to STL, OBJ ...
Do not expect laserscan or SL quality, but the results maybe enough for a lot of things

Gunter
MagWeb

Postby hal » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:01 pm

Thanks for the advice!

From your point of view how is the best hardware for this cool software? the Microsoft Kinect or the Asus Xtion?
Thanks in advance,
Mattia
PC: DELL Alienware 17, Intel I7-4710MQ, 32 Gb Ram, AMD Radeon R9 M290X 4GB.
SO: Win 8.1 64Bit.
CAMs: USB 3.0 CMOS B/N (1280x960, 60 fps).
LENS: 12 mm.
PROJECTOR: DAVID SLS1 ACER K11.
hal

Re: ReconstructMe Public Beta

Postby martinus » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:15 pm

Hi, I'm one of the developers of ReconstructMe. Both Kinect and Asus Xtion are basically the same, they use the same sensor. So the results will have the same quality.
If you want high resolution and realtime, you need a fast graphics card.

The precision is worse than a laser scan, but it has some other advantages: e.g. shiny black surfaces seem to work much better than laser scanner
martinus

Postby joshualee » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:31 pm

Hi

if use faster video card and shiny black surface . better then laser scanner ? .

any result out there how detail looks like ?

thanks
joshualee

Postby hal » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:36 pm

Hello martinus,

thanks for the public beta, your software seems cool.
I'm testing it on 3 notebooks, and I have the OpenCL problem with a nVidia Quadro 3500FX, the powerfull card of mine (mobile version for a M90 DELL workstation).

I know that the M90 computer have an old hardware that don't support (also if latest driver installed) the OpenCL, but, because Quadro are maybe the more professional and powerfull (and maybe moddable) videocards from the nVidia family... I ask if there is a way to "force" the OpenCL on these videocards?

With my less performign GeFroce (other notebook) OpenCL works and also your software, but so slowly (cheap videocard).

Or there is an other way, instead OpenCL, to make ReconstructMe working? I ask this because this sounds like a "restriction" for all the "not-so-young" hardware.

Thanks in advace for any kindly answer,
Mattia
PC: DELL Alienware 17, Intel I7-4710MQ, 32 Gb Ram, AMD Radeon R9 M290X 4GB.
SO: Win 8.1 64Bit.
CAMs: USB 3.0 CMOS B/N (1280x960, 60 fps).
LENS: 12 mm.
PROJECTOR: DAVID SLS1 ACER K11.
hal

Postby martinus » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:57 pm

Right now ReconstructMe makes heavy use of parallelization on the graphics card, there I think OpenCL is the best way to go right now. It is also possible to run OpenCL on the CPU, you can install Intel's OpenCL SDK (see http://reconstructme.net/usage) but this will most likely be even slower.

Another option is to use the offline mode: First you can record a data stream, which does not need too much horsepower. Afterwards you can replay this stream and generate a CAD model from that. See http://reconstructme.net/usage/#offline

If you have any specific OpenCL errors, please post them to the reconstructme mailing list, that's where we more frequently look

Martin
martinus

Postby hal » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:59 pm

Thank you very much.

I'm going to test your suggestions.
See you soon on the ReconstructMe site.

Many thanks,
Mattia
hal

ReconstructMe - Firsts tests

Postby hal » Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:39 pm

Hello,

Here a test os scanning and aligning and one dedicated to the joshualee post about black surfaces.
I've used the software on a laptop with nVidia GeForce G102M, Work slow but work.

I had some issue with alignment: martin, the deformation of the scans are related to my poor GPU or to my bad movements of the sensor?
I've tried to move the sensor very smoothly and slow...

MatM_RecoMe_First test_1.jpg

The software reconstruct a limited portion of the environment space, 1x1x1m, so we must to save every "completed cube" each time, and start again.

MatM_RecoMe_First test_2.jpg

As you can see, some big deformations are there: how to solve? Comments and suggestions are welcome.
Please not in the left side the small portion of the lamp, on the table. As the computers' monitor, the lamp was turned on (out was night, in the room that lamp was the only one turned on). Because the Kinect technology, this 3D scanner can catch surfaces that are in prohibitive conditions for 3D scanner based on the visible light.

MatM_RecoMe_Blacks.jpg

A dark lather jacket on a grey and black metal-lather chair. Kinect don't have problems with dark surfaces (only transparent surfaces are, obviously, not seen).
Sometimes shiny surfaces reflect badly the IR dots and appear some artifacts (as on the white-shiny plane of the table). Not big problems with semi-trasparent objects and hair/fur.

Hope that the ReconstructMe software can grow up soon. Seems promising.
Mattia
hal

More tests

Postby hal » Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:32 pm

Hello, here som more tests with the lates ReconstructMe beta.

MatM_RecoMe_Darks1.jpg

Here above an other "black" scene: the bag is black, the door-frame is black and little shiny. The door have glass, so Kinect see throw it.

MatM_RecoMe_Etleva.jpg

MatM_RecoMe_Valentina1.jpg

MatM_RecoMe_Valentina2.jpg

... and some other test with living objects: collegues.

Hope that the "stitching volumes" feature came soon.
Mattia
hal

Hardware tested

Postby hal » Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:19 pm

My first attempts were done on 4 different video cards, with the Microsoft XBOX360 Kinect.
These the results:

- ATI Radeon HD 4570 M 512Mb = don't work
- nVidia Quadro FX 3500 M 512Mb = don't work
- nVidia GeForce G 102 M 512Mb = work slowly
- nVidia GeFroce GTX 280 1024Mb = work perfectly

Hope this helps,
Mattia
hal

Postby joshualee » Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:48 pm

Mattia you are very good !

if i try with more faster then GTX 280 . more detail result?
what about scan for small things like 500mmx500mm ?
may be i have to put some lens on the Kinect?
i am crazy about this way to scan .
i will buy fastest video card today , and i will try

thanks
joshualee

Postby hal » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:25 pm

Hello,
as far as I know, no improvements of details with faster videocards. I think that the engine of the reconstruction is based on the IR point cloud of the sensor (in my case the Kinect), So, don't buy better hardware coz details, but buy better hardware coz you can scan faster and avoid the annoing "beep" of missing shape-tracking. But keep in mind that this software is a new born, so, maybe in the next future, new and great possibilities became true... we will see.

BUT: keep in mind an important thing. This kind of technology, that use these kind of sensors, CAN'T achieve results like David or other professional softwares/apporach.

About smal objects: you can scan only the volume of 1 meter cube at time (at the present date) and you MUST keep the sensor far 40 cm from the nearest available plane of scanning, because the technology of the sensor.

If you change-add lenses, you must to recalibrate the sensor (now not possible).
In the Blog the team wrote about that in the future a customizable calibration could be possible, but, if I'm right, the amount of details is strictly limited by the used technology.

In the meantime, have you already tried to use the high resolution mode? (sincerly not so "resoluted" in comparison with the standard mode, ...).
In the DOS propt type:

Code: Select all
reconstructme.exe --realtime --highres

Try and report (especially the hardware specs), thanks.
Mattia

p.s.: I hope that, if this software grow up, that it could be implemented in our David workflow: David is great software, and works over a limited area at time (sized as we want). Davidians that have some practice of the aligning workflow, know how is hard to align faster and preciesly all the scans, especially with big objects and huge numbers of scans. If we keep high the resolution of our scans, we must keep the camera close to the surface (or have the highest resoluted cameras). So, we obtain lot of detailed scans that need to be marged (in lot of cases) with the Free and then Precise aligning tool (I mean not with ab automated or semi-automated aligning process). Also we must keep a portion of the scanned area in common, shared, between two objects, because the aligning need this.
But if we have already a raw base mesh (as Gunter suggest lot of times ago, about David process) that we can catch very quicly and without any aligning by the user, we can place above it our meshes and also avoid to have big overlapping between the scans. Obviously first we need to be sure that ReconstructMe create geometric data that is correct and not deformed.
I suppose that this could be, or better, should be, a real boost of our projects with David Laser or SL scanner. :wink:
hal

Postby mipu » Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:51 pm

hi,

i am also trying reconstructme at the moment. especially scanning persons i do not manage to get as good results as you get (f.e. the girl sitting on the chair). i am missing some details (mouth,...).
i do reconstructme.exe --realtime --highres. can you give some information about the setup, lighting,...?

have a nice day!
windows 7 quadcore, benq beamer, canon dslr, automatic rotating table.
mipu

Postby hal » Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:53 pm

mmm but I use the Kinect as you, no special settings (becose no way to have customized settings).
I just move the Kinect in front of the subject. But please note that also me don't catch details in --highres mode. The result si like a melt wax statue (and ok, this is enough for me!).

So, we must to wait some news from the team, but I don't think that the details can be increased. The best update will be to scan more than the limited 1x1x1 m volume at time. Adn seem this feature cames (I hope soon).
Please, try to consider this software as a friend, not a brother, of David: differnte technology behind, different purposes and results... but they can be compenetrated as well.

Mattia
hal

Postby mipu » Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:37 pm

thanx fou your reply, mattia.

i also see david somewhere else. lets see how reconstructme turns out after some time. i found out that they want to release some free and some not free versions in march. there is also a google discussion on using some kind of addonlense to the kinect for scanning smaller items.
windows 7 quadcore, benq beamer, canon dslr, automatic rotating table.
mipu

Next

Return to Software