[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4807: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3904)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4809: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3904)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4810: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3904)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4811: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3904)
DAVID-Laserscanner Forum • View topic - gSculpt Retopology
Dear DAVID Community,

In 2016, DAVID and this forum have been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum has been read-only since then, and will be switched off by then end of 2019.

To everyone who has contributed here, we thank you for all your work and for the constructive, helpful and friendly atmosphere you have created!
Please continue to discuss on the HP Support Forums.

gSculpt Retopology

gSculpt Retopology

Postby Bongobat » Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:04 am

Hi all,

I know you all think im problaby retopology crazy by now, but I have found what I consider the closest you can come to Zbrush like retopology for free. A wonderful open source program called gsculpt has what they call "mesh drawing tools" You just have to check it out. You can download it here: http://gsculpt.sourceforge.net/ and be sure to at least check out the retopology video tutorial. It is video number 4 here: http://gsculpt.sourceforge.net/video_tutorials.html I have been playing with it for just a few minutes and am very impressed. Large meshes from a fused mesh take forever to load though. If you patient it should load. Perhaps that can be fixed in the future. In addition to that it has many other useful tools. David, meshlab and now gsculpt make a powerful trio!

Have fun,
Greg Quisenberry
DealExtreme red line laser, Microsoft Lifecam HD-5000
Bongobat

Postby humanticnc » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:20 pm

HI Bongobat
I say thank you for the route on which started .
humanticnc
humanticnc

Free ReTopoloty Program

Postby CliveB » Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:13 pm

Hi Bongobat

There is another very good retopology tool built into the Opensource Blender 3d program. ( www.blender.org)

Blender can take high poly count meshes. The obj file format is one of the most used file types and blender imports these very well.

The retopology function is found under the Sculpt Tool. It is very intuitive and easy to use. I will post an image later if need be.

Cliveb
CliveB

Postby Bongobat » Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:31 pm

Hi,

I have used the retopo in blender and I find it not as good as zbrush or gsculpt. gsculpt has it the way it should be. Of the programs Ive used that has retopo i would rank them as follows:

1. Zbrush
2. Gsculpt (free)
3. Silo
4. Blender (free)

Edit: Here is a tip once your .obj file is loaded immediately save it as the gsculpt .gpx file format. This will load much faster next time you open it.
Bongobat

thanks

Postby hal » Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:41 am

Ciao Bongobat. Come stai? -> (How are you?)
Here, in Florence, sometimes it's rainy, sometimes itìs sunny, sometimes someone (like a bas..rd :evil: thief comes into my house :cry: :evil: :x .!

And sometimes arrives a gas tax (heating home) veeeeery expencive :evil: :cry: :evil: !

And sometimes the dog of my girlfriend, dies :cry: :( :cry: :cry: ...

It's an ugly period... :( But anyway...

THANK you Bongobat for your advice, always very valuable. When I have little time I try gSculp with my lead little soldier.

GoodNight, Mattia.
hal

Postby Bongobat » Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:17 pm

Sorry about your luck Mattia but keep your chin up. Things will get better. Your research and work is valuable.

As for gsculpt I hope you like it. The long load time is bugging me but tolerable and Im getting the rare crash when I get to clicky with my mouse lol or something. Hey it is still in alpha. I tried blender again thinking maybe im being to hard on it. I just feel blender is too awkward to be helpful in retopo. gsculpt is more maya like and that is why I feel comfortable with it.
Bongobat

Return to Software