[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4807: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3904)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4809: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3904)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4810: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3904)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4811: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3904)
DAVID-Laserscanner Forum • View topic - Real Time 360 degree scans
Dear DAVID Community,

In 2016, DAVID and this forum have been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum has been read-only since then, and will be switched off by then end of 2019.

To everyone who has contributed here, we thank you for all your work and for the constructive, helpful and friendly atmosphere you have created!
Please continue to discuss on the HP Support Forums.

Real Time 360 degree scans

Real Time 360 degree scans

Postby C4ptain_Mike » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:49 pm

Is there any technology that can generate a full 360 degree scan instantly or at least within a couple mins?

Structured light seems to have this potential with the right setup and software but I have yet to see a prepackaged solution that could achieve it.

The kinect 3d scanning method also seems to have this capability as Ive seen that it has already been able to scan up to 270 degrees of an object with a multi camera set up. The only thing is that the quality seems to be extreamly poor. Has there been any update on a full 360 degree solution or better quality?

I havnt tried this solution yet but Ill hopefully get to testing it this weekend: from http://www.vi3dim.com/
The videos imply that you can get a full 360 degree scan in about a min. I cant tell what the quality might be though, it doesnt seem like the texture is that great but that may be limited by the quality of your webcam. Has anyone tried this yet?

Is there any features in the new upcoming DAVID 3 that will be able to accomplish this? I just read that the beta is coming out soon, cant wait to try it out.

My hope is to find a rapid scanning technique that will allow a full scan in just a couple minutes. Im more worried about the general shape then I am accuracy or quality. But the quality of the kinect seems to be to low.

photo based techniques seem to be pretty efficient but I can only find web services that will process them (id prefer actual software so i can tweak settings and watch it process) and the results can be unpredictable.

Silhouette based scanning seems to be the fastest for me as long as the object is simple but trying to mask out complicated shapes is bothersome and just as long as a normal laserscan sometimes plus it cant scan holes or indents in the object.

I wonder how hard it would be to build a device like the kinect with much higher resolution?

Any thoughts anyone?
www.michaeltaylor3d.com
C4ptain_Mike

Re: Real Time 360 degree scans

Postby ferret7 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:03 am

The Surphaser® 25HSX - Phase Shift, Hemispherical Scanner with 360° x 270° field of view

http://www.surphaser.com/surphaser.html

Full Volume Scan Time (minutes, at 7200x7200 density) in 4.5 minutes

Regards,
-jay-
NextComputing Radius EX-B, Quad Core, 32GB DDR3, Dual Quadro 6000, Quadro 400, UniBrain FireBoard800-e™ Pro Dual - Creaform GO!SCAN3D, 3D3 Solutions HDI ADVANCE R2 - DAVID Vision Systems US (importer/reseller)
ferret7

Postby C4ptain_Mike » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:05 pm

That looks very interesting but I failed to mention that I was wondering about a technology or technique that might cost under $1,000 or around that lol
www.michaeltaylor3d.com
C4ptain_Mike

Postby AIMED » Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:07 pm

Hy Captain
try www.intricad.com
Logitech QuickCAM Pro 9000
Toshiba Satellite, 4GB RAM, 1GB AMD display
Panasonic Projector (model unknown)
AIMED

Return to Software