Dear DAVID Community,

In 2016, DAVID and this forum have been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum has been read-only since then, and will be switched off by the end of 2019.

To everyone who has contributed here, we thank you for all your work and for the constructive, helpful and friendly atmosphere you have created!
Please continue to discuss on the HP Support Forums.

Help with maya

Help with maya

Postby Julia » Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:40 pm

Hi!
I'm trying to texturise my 360° scan with maya and I'm not doing very well. Does anybody know if there is an easy way to put pictures from 4 sides onto the object.
It's the first time I'm working with maya. I managed to get the picture on the object but I'm not able to select just one side so it looks pretty bad.
Thank you very much for your help.
Julia
Julia

UVs

Postby Bongobat » Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:26 pm

Hello Julia,

Im currently learning maya 6 so I hope this can help you. I think the best way right now would be to layout your UVs in maya, export them to an image editor as a layer then in the image editing program import your photos to another layer and scale, move and rotate those pictures to the best possible fit to the UV layer. Photoshop is what I use because you can use the create psd texture feature to export directly to a photoshop file with the UVs in there own seperate layer. To layout UVs you would want to problaby paint select the faces of the object and apply planar mapping corresponding to each axis view. This basically is unwrapping the UVs from a 3d image to a flat image allowing you to align your pictures. I suppose you could also apply a seperate material to each selection then go into the UV texture editor and scale the UVs to fit the photo, but by laying out your UVs nicely and exporting them to photoshop you can use your photo editing tools to smooth between where photos overlap and make it nice and clean. If anyone else has a better way Id be interested as well. If you need a more in depth tutorial I could try put together one for you. Like I said befoe Im learning too so dont get mad If im totally wrong :oops:
Bongobat

Postby Julia » Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:30 pm

Hi!
Thank you for your quick reply. It looks like I have to cut my object because the unfold option is not working well.
It would be really nice if you could give me a tutorial.
What are you trying to texturise?
Julia

hi

Postby hal » Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:49 pm

salve julia,

first of all i'm a 3d studio max user, but i think that many things are similar with maya (now autodesk has both) (sorry for my english :( ).

if you have a uv cylindrical or cube modifier, use that on object: a null object wraps your mesh and unfolding like a "turn aroud" your mesh. you obtain an explose solid, but uncutting. you can export the image of this unfolder mesh and, with 2d software, assemble your image.

i'm sorry but don't know maya, but if you want change with 3d studio max, the way is more simple using its feature "camera projection"; this tool in max don't deform mesh and can be adapted at any tipes of photo.

other problem is the mesh density produced from david and his topology. you can retopology your scans with zbrush 3 and after mapping. i assure you, this way is most powerfull and simple (if you know that) and precise.

you can download trial version of max from www.autodesk.com and zbrush3 from www.pixologic.com.

if you want try this method, i'm here for any question.

bye
hal

Postby Bongobat » Wed Oct 03, 2007 2:27 pm

Unfortunately there are many differences between maya and max but the basic concepts are the same. Maya does not use modifier stacks instead it uses nodes and attributes. I have used 3d studio max in the past and choose to change to maya because It seems to be more intuitive to artists and was used extensively on the silver screen. Pant Fx is just awesome!. I actually find maya easier to use now then max. I guess its all how your brain works. They both are good. Hal has some good points. Instead of applying a planar map to each selection you could apply a cylindrical map to the entire model which will give you a slightly distorted 360 degree UV layout. You could also select the faces then EDIT POLYGONS - TEXTURE -CREATE UVS BASED ON CAMERA which I think corresponds to what hal was saying about camera projection in max, but youd have to choose your selections carefully. Automatic mapping may correspond to the cube modifier? You have to set it to project from 6 planes. Its kinda weird though. Whichever you try I believe you would still need to do some stitching and UV work. You just need to pick which one would get you there the fastest. You should use some sort of topology tool to simplify your mesh first. I have not textured a raw 360 degree david scan. I have textured scans that I have simplified and modified though. I use nevercenter's silo topology tool http://www.nevercenter.com/ similar to zbrush,but alot less expensive. Another good thing is that it navigates just like maya and is very uncluttered. If you know alittle maya you can get around easy in silo. I guess we all are wating for texture fusion here! Ill try to get you some sort of walkthrough when I can for basic texturing but in the meantime I found this: http://www.cgchat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7209 Problaby better than anything I could come up with. I am currently working on a couple of figures based on H.R Giger art. Workflow like this: 1 Create sculpey clay model based on Giger's 2d drawing. 2. Scan model in David. 3. Use Silo topology tool to reconstruct mesh (necessary for facial animation) 4.Import into maya for some more polygonal tweaking, UV texturing, creating bones and skinning, animating, and finally rendering animation. All self taught :wink: Thank god for maya tutorials! I have a couple questions also. For Hal: In 3ds max can you use camera projection on each orthographic view? Giving you a UV layout just like 6 images taken with a camera? If so have you done this and could you post pics of textured david scan and the UV layout. I ask too much sorry lol. For Julia Can you describe what you are trying to texture or post a pic?
Bongobat

Postby Ordibble Plop » Thu Oct 04, 2007 12:53 am

In another post Simon said that DAVID stores image info as an image plus UV coordinates.

It should thus be an easy matter to import your DAVID scan into ZBrush and reproject your detail and colour info onto a retopologized mesh (with the latest update (3.1) ZBrush can now apparently transfer colour info). You could even redo your UVs if you like.

First you would convert your texture into vertex colouring - as ZBrush can handle millions of polygons, there is unlikely to be any loss of texture quality due to resolution.

Then retoplogise your mesh (in ZBrush or another software) and project the hi-res detail and colour onto the new mesh.

You can then convert the vertex colouring (after perhaps painting on it or touching it up) into a texture.

This isn't an endorsement of ZB - just the software that I know of. I also haven't tried this myself yet but hopefully will have a chance to in the near future.

Also, if you don't like UV mapping, you could try Roadkill - http://www.pullin-shapes.co.uk/page8.htm . It is a free stand alone tool that also has plugins for Maya, Max and XSI - it isn't for camera projections though.
Ordibble Plop

Postby Bongobat » Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:04 am

I suppose that is the whole problem. Maya has no problem with a single david scan. The UVs are there and you just assign your picture to a shader and you have a correctly textured mesh. I assumed that the UVs are removed when you fuse though because David does not as yet have anyway to stich all the other UVs together. Thats why we are all waiting for texture fusion. Someone correct me if im wrong. The vertex coloring you mentioned sounds intriguing, but wouldnt you have to do it on eatch seperate scan then combine somehow before you take into zbrush. Is that how texture fusion will work? Can zbrush recreate a map and UVs from that vertex coloring because you could not transfer vertex colors beween meshes if you changed topology because the vertecies are going to be at different locations. Someone out there with Zbrush should experiment and post. I would definitely look into the software if it is that easy. I found a post by Steve here: http://david-laserscanner.com/forum/vie ... ?p=401#401 Where he uses the UV technique I use but he used 3dmax. Steve if you are out there Id like to hear your two cents on this issue.
Bongobat

Postby Ordibble Plop » Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:44 am

Bongobat wrote:I assumed that the UVs are removed when you fuse though because David does not as yet have anyway to stich all the other UVs together. ...The vertex coloring you mentioned sounds intriguing, but wouldnt you have to do it on eatch seperate scan then combine somehow before you take into zbrush.

OK, I didn't know that Shapefusion might not retain UVs when fusing into one object (unfortunately, I haven't really had a chance to use it yet). If it is possible to align the separate scans and then freeze the transforms such that they are in correct world space relative to each other, I think you could take all the pieces into ZBrush as subtools and still do the same thing with the vertex colouring.

Or, if you don't mind doing it manually, it ispossible to use texture projection - http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=vTh0wSjF7 ... ed&search=

Can zbrush recreate a map and UVs from that vertex coloring because you could not transfer vertex colors beween meshes if you changed topology because the vertecies are going to be at different locations.

Yes, ZBrush can convert the vertex colouring to a colour map and assign new UVs if you want, or you can assign UVs for the new topology outside of ZBrush and import it. A short vid showing this - http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=TE7zMz-on ... ed&search=

It can also supposedly project colour between arbitrary meshes, but I have not verified this myself

Someone out there with Zbrush should experiment and post.

I have ZBrush and would be happy to experiment, but I'm not likely to have a chance to do so for at least a month unfortunately
Ordibble Plop

Postby hal » Thu Oct 04, 2007 12:09 pm

salve,
for BongoBat:
"In 3ds max can you use camera projection on each orthographic view?"
yes, and more. you can project your photo as orthographic virtual camera, like top, left,... but in the real life, how you can capture photo in orthographic mode? with a siple camera is impossible (lens distorsion, depth pf field,...). Camera Projection in Max is powerfull because you can recreate, in prospective viewport, the same point of view that in reality.
soon as possible i post image :arrow:

first you must unwarp uv of mesh with max's dedicadet tool, using the approach that you want (cylindrical, cube, planar, spherical, walktrought,...), is idifferent. after a max's tool can correct your uv unfolded adjusting the proportion of each polygon (i suggest convert, in max, your object from mesh [triangle] to poly [quad polygon]). you obtain a proportioned and correct uv system. after poject any photos what you want (from 1 to infinite), but one after one. at any camera projection, save an image of uv system with max's tool "render to texture".
at the end, you have many uv image and compose these with photoshop (justing overlap they).
yes, max is more complex than maya, but work good (maya too :wink: ).

for texturing i thik zbrush can't help us, because is perfect for drawing directly and handly, but using external image, that in this case, require lot of mesh subdivision passes, and lot of memory system.
i thik is good (for this kind of works) only for retopology feature.

i dream S&S working on "Shapefusion texture tool", and hoping, i wait... :roll:
hal

Zbrush

Postby Bongobat » Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:51 pm

Wow I just watched the first video linked by ordibble plop and have to say that was impressive. I now want zbrush but I couldnt find a download link for a demo. Do they have a demo available? I bet some genius coder could make a plugin that would do that in maya or perhaps they have for a newer version than mine. Would be basically a clone tool as part of the paint fx. Okay im green so maybe it is already there Ill have to look lol. He subdivided to get more resolution does that mean he was painting vertex color? For Hal: I have a copy of 3ds max and wanted to try to understand what you were talking about. I have version 7 and found a camera map modifier under the world space modifiers is that what you use? It seems to be similar to some of the projection tools in maya. I discovered in maya that you can choose projection as your map type then choose perspective in the projection node and link to camera. If you make a layered texture you can have multiple texture files projecting from cameras at different targets of the same mesh, problem is that if you use a texture taken by david it projects the whole picture around the object (background calibration points) and not just the relevant info. If you project two you get overlaps and so you would still have to select the faces then apply the projection. I will try that later. Im getting confused and am stuck on the importance of UVs and missing the big picture I think. For Julia if you can get your hands on Zbrush trying the technique that ordibble plop posted in the video link would be the fastest and easiest way. Oh and when you were talking about the unfold option earlier I didnt know what you meant but it turns out that tool is in the bonus tools for maya 6 and I tried it and it distorted my UVs I even cut them how the document said and didnt get very good results. I guess Im still stuck doing it the way I know with planar or cylindrical mapping. Unless someone wants to give me zbrush :lol:
Bongobat

Postby Julia » Tue Oct 09, 2007 3:20 pm

Hi!
I was very busy the last days so I didn't make any progress texturising. But thanks for all the ideas.
Unfortunately I just have scanned data and some pictures taken with a camera. And no opportunity to scan it again. So I can't wait for the texturefusion.
Just a short post to show what I'm working on.
Julia
Attachments
snapshot.jpg
A screenshot of the object
Bueste_vorne.jpg
A picture of it to show how I want it to look like.
Julia

Postby steve » Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:17 pm

I work in 3D studio MAX and am not very familiar with Maya.
What I would try and do is to do a front to back UV unwrap and then take pictures of the front and back in neutral lighting. By doing a front to back mapping you reduce the number of seams. The neutral lighting is important as it helps reduce the differences between the texture photos. From mayan render out the UV map of the object then load it into photoshop and line up the photos with the rendered UV maps. Save the UV map with the photo textures and map it to your scanned object.

I found a new plugin for photoshop that you may be interested in. It can be used to help clean up the seams between the different photo textures. It can also be used to texture the whole object. You can down load a 30 day trial and play with it.

Here is the link: http://www.electriciris.com/

Hope this helps

I would like to see your textured scan once you've completed it.

-Steve
steve

Return to Software