Dear DAVID Community,

In 2016, DAVID and this forum have been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum has been read-only since then, and will be switched off by then end of 2019.

To everyone who has contributed here, we thank you for all your work and for the constructive, helpful and friendly atmosphere you have created!
Please continue to discuss on the HP Support Forums.

Mesh conversion to Nurbs (geometric surface/solid)

Mesh conversion to Nurbs (geometric surface/solid)

Postby George Holland » Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:14 am

Hello

I am new to this field but there has been a similar question popping up often, and that is how to convert scan data to a surface or solid that can be manipulated in a CAD package such as solidworks etc.....but that is affordable for a private experimenter!

After some searching I think there is a solution if any would like to try

1. Download Meshlab open .obj David file, fix smooth mesh etc and save file out as .stl
2. Download Mesh to Single Nurbs here http://www.resurf3d.com/mesh2snurbs.htm - 21 day trial and $119 not too bad

This file can be saved out as .igs compatible with most mainstream CAD packages, the results seem pretty good. Unfortunately I had one extra stage as Solidworks doesn't like opening this .igs file for some unknown reason and had to convert to step

3. WIth Sycode IGES to STEP converter, id like to miss this out as is another $199 for the license so any suggestions welcome

I hope this is useful

G
George Holland

Re: Mesh conversion to Nurbs (geometric surface/solid)

Postby euroscan » Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:15 pm

- use CAD exchanger for free
--
http://www.cadexchanger.com/
--
euroscan

Postby moog » Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:48 am

i had a look at the CAD exchanger, and it seems like it's only a file format changing program What is actually required is a program like "mesh to solid" (which is not free)
this actually CONVERTS the file into a solid body.
LC532-5-3-F(16x65), BenQ PB8220 DLP Projector, logitec quickcam PRO9001, Casio EX-FH20
moog

Postby George Holland » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:32 pm

Yes

CAD exchanger worked for converting igs to stp. The program that did the surface fitting was mesh2nurbs, it is not free but worked pretty well (free trial, $119 for license). Haven't used it much yet though. May be useful for someone else requiring this function
George Holland

Postby RAYA » Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:12 pm

Hi

In reverse engineering methods mesh doesn`t convert without editing and cleaning or ... to Nurbs,it is because to lower the error .

Ray
RAYA

Postby keunnel » Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:15 am

Hi George Holland,

I am also new to this field as currently I was used the david scanner to scan my model.
And, as what i know that, the output of the david scanner is just in the form of .obj, .stl, and .ply.
However, I need to use AutoCAD to obtain all coordinates of my model which is not support those format.
Do you have any ideas that what kind of software or invertor that I could use (either free/trial), so that later on the model can be import into CAD and do manipulation or surface meshing?
Thankyou for your help.

Regards,
Mr. Ng
keunnel

Return to Software