[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4807: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3904)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4809: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3904)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4810: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3904)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4811: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3904)
DAVID-Laserscanner Forum • View topic - Shape Manipulation Software
Dear DAVID Community,

In 2016, DAVID and this forum have been integrated into HP Inc.
This forum has been read-only since then, and will be switched off by then end of 2019.

To everyone who has contributed here, we thank you for all your work and for the constructive, helpful and friendly atmosphere you have created!
Please continue to discuss on the HP Support Forums.

Shape Manipulation Software

Re: Shape Manipulation Software

Postby BJ64 » Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:07 pm

That's just telling you that the quality of the 'dot' between the red and green laser is different - you're still using the same line-generator.

As I've said soooo many times before already - with all other things being equal, the quality of your laser line and the quality of your sweep mechanism directly determine the quality of your scan...

BJ:)
BJ64

Postby hal » Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:21 pm

hal

Postby BJ64 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:59 pm

Thanks for your reply Mattia.

I guess I'm just very frustrated that I have been trying for nearly 2 years to get some decent scans for a project I dearly love.

You are correct.
Yes, David is a very economical entry-level to 3D Laser Scanning - even today.
Yes, I realise that the David team is always looking to improve the product.
And yes, I realise that their effort is worth contributing much needed $$$ to advance the cause.

What I was trying to say was that I think I would have been better off not buying the David license, but investing that money in a $270 line-laser for the results I need.

I've also spent 12 months researching and testing various forms of sweep mechanisms. I don't need to go down the planeless scanning route - just something that gives me a half-reasonable scan of a 400cm long object. Where I get frustrated the most is when I see the detail some people get from scanning a very small, shiny coin - yet I can't get half as good a resolution from a much larger object.

I need my scans to work - or my project dies.

If you look at my posting history, I have asked many questions in many threads. While I understand that everyone has their own needs to tend to, I would have hoped that by now I would have had a decent scanning set-up in place.

Just saying 'get a stepper motor driver' isn't all that easy. There's Uni-directional steppers, Bi-directional steppers, drivers for these, and controlling software that also need to be purchased. I asked a long time ago for someone - anyone - to recommend a set-up that works well. I didn't get a definitive answer. Tell me what I need, and I will buy it. The same goes for the Laser itself. Tell me what I need to give me good quality scans, and I will buy it. I don't do any 'color' scanning, so I'm assuming that a red laser should suffice. Do I go for the mains-powered one on the David site, or the battery powered one?

All I'm asking here is for some direction so that I can make my choices and purchase accordingly. I've spent already over $200 buying various stepper motors and driver boards... looooong hours writing code to control them, but I'm right back to where I started from - crappy quality scans.

So, if anyone has any suggestions as to what laser and what stepper to buy, I'll gladly purchase them. I don't want to have to re-invent the wheel here. Just tell me what I should buy. No fiddling or mucking around. Plug it in, and start scanning.

That's the sort of thing that I'm after...

k?

BJ:)
BJ64

Postby pottersfriend » Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:42 pm

Hey BJ,

I think it might help a little bit to know what parts and pieces you currently have accumulated to see what you may or may not need to purchase.

Another thing that would help people troubleshoot some of your issues would be for you to post some images of what it looks like through the David screens when you calibrate and/or when you're scanning. Possibly a screen capture of what it looks like when you've adjusted the camera settings when the laser is on.

I think I saw in some previous posts of yours, that you had your camera and laser fixed to the same device. Have you tried separating them and moving them both closer to the object? Have you tried moving just the laser closer to the object to get a finer line width? I would think whether you have a fixed or focusable laser moving it close would produce a thinner line. Again, some pictures through David of the laser on the panel and/or the object might give everyone a better idea of what you're dealing with.

Thanks,
Darin
pottersfriend

Postby Philo » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:34 pm

Philo

Previous

Return to Software